Sheffield Wednesday F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what to say really. Obviously very disappointed with the result, but I think we've played worse this season and gotten all 3 points. While I've been happy to ride the wave of success all season, I think we've always lacked a fluidity and cohesiveness throughout the team which was on stark display tonight. The only difference tonight was their chances went in and our didn't. If their two goals had hit the post instead, and one of ours went in, this would have been another great away win/3pts/up the rams/etc and all concerns or criticisms quickly forgotten.

I don't recall many times this season where things have clicked and we've looked like an unstoppable force destined for promotion, barring a few spectacular individual performances from Vydra, Carson and Davis. 

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Great goal but his he's slipping in and out of games more and more....and poor old nuge has been left out to the point he was a shadow of his sharp self earlier in the season.

Don’t think that’s true on Vydra, most recent games he’s been the only forward looking like making something happen. It ain’t really him or Nugents fault that our wide men are so ****

7 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Not sure who you're aiming your pot shots at.

I don't think anyone will be happy with losing 2-0 to a team that hadn't won at home since Halloween. 

How did we do at all the things you've been very strongly praising Gary Rowett for? The remorseless defence,  the clinical counter attacks etc

We weren't very good tonight. We haven't been very good for a little while now. This is not a cause for celebration. But it needs to be acknowledged and addressed. 

It's one lost, people react to quickly, we have not been very good for the last 2 games, 14 games left, please judge us at the end of the season, most fans would have been happy with playoffs this season, Rowetts done a great job up to now, and I still believe top 2 is on, all teams will have ups and downs, also if Fulham beat Villa on Saturday, it would make FOR a very interesting end to the season, top 5 teams in this division can all still get second spot, this is what makes the championship so interesting. 

Just now, Derby blood said:

It's one lost, people react to quickly, we have not been very good for the last 2 games, 14 games left, please judge us at the end of the season, most fans would have been with playoffs this season, Rowetts done a great job up to now, and I still believe top 2 is on, all teams will have ups and downs, also if Fulham beat Villa on Saturday, it would make FOR a very interesting end to the season, top 5 teams in this division can all still get second spot, this is what makes the championship so interesting. 

Fair points and well made. 

Although I think we've underwhelmed in a few games recently not just tonight and Saturday. 

We all want to succeed tho - that goes before any points scoring on forums :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, admira said:

I do feel that Russell’s sudden departure at such an important stage of the season has affected us more than it should have. 

But in reality he was the one who ran at defenders with the ball and could beat them on the inside and outside,he got to the byeline and cut the ball back frequently and scored goals, he was basically our spark in a game and the other players benefited from it and they can’t do the same. Because he tried things it either worked or it didn’t but no one else do they? We needed a replacement who was equally as good because it was unlikely that we would get someone better.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's not about hunger though is it....he's struggling with his form at Derby not his motivation.

Perhaps this will put to bed the notion this notion about gr and man management...Lawrence has got worse the longer be has been with us and vydra and Nugent are slowly slipping away too.

Lawrence hasn’t got worse he is what he is, fairly inexperienced carrying a weight of expectation and Vydra is doing what he does and nugent has been what you would expect from a forward of his age

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's not about hunger though is it....he's struggling with his form at Derby not his motivation.

Perhaps this will put to bed the notion this notion about gr and man management...Lawrence has got worse the longer be has been with us and vydra and Nugent are slowly slipping away too.

Vydra in particular looked lively enough for me, he made plenty of runs into the right positions but the whole performance was disjointed.

Don’t think he did much wrong bar score, which he still looked the most likely on the pitch to do so for us, all in my opinion of course .

6 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Vydra in particular looked lively enough for me, he made plenty of runs into the right positions but the whole performance was disjointed.

Don’t think he did much wrong bar score, which he still looked the most likely on the pitch to do so for us, all in my opinion of course .

He did sound it tonight.....he's certainly the least of our worries.

Think we probably put in too many players who were ring rusty,but it's dead easy to criticise. If we hadn't played them,they'd have become even rustier.

23 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

It’s a combination of things ... we had a better replacement lined up but that fell through ... the injury to Winnall and letting Martin go. Bringing in Jerome and Palmer I thought would improve us.. but not when you bring them on for five minutes of football each . 

A promising replacement lined up but would never have been ours but we would never know if he was better, the winnall injury is a shame and Jerome whilst experienced is at the wrong side of his career and Palmer maybe in a different team set up but our central midfielders sit so deep that he will struggle to get a game in our team and Rowett has been trying to give him ( and Chelsea) game time replacing Vydra which is not his game really

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

SKY seem to suggest we had a big penalty shout second half for a foul on Ledley?

So did Ledley and everyone watching bar the chuffing ref.

The red saw logic that Ledley would dive over shooting when in clear sight of goal and about to pull the trigger; poor decision number whatever of late that I’m hoping turns our way soon.

Just not getting much joy on key decisions and that once again could’ve changed things.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He did sound it tonight.....he's certainly the least of our worries.

Thanks to Rowett's man management, most league goals he has scored in a season in his career so far. Be hard to bet against him becoming our top goalscorer in recent years by May.

37 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Others haven't fared quite so well though have they......

They haven't Kash, that's football for you, new manager walks through the door and some players find their faces just don't fit and they and the club move on.

Take Mourinho for example at Chelsea, let 2 of the Premier League's best players this season De Bryune and Mo Salah leave the club. Also let Lukaku go only to go and sign him a couple years later at Man Utd.

3x Premier League titles, 2 Serie A titles, 2x Primeira League titles, La Liga title, couple of Champions League medals and a Europa League it's hard to argue his ability to manage a side though.

Archived