Underrated and Overrated Cities/Tourist Attractions

SSD

Florence, Barcelona, Madrid, Dublin, Glasgow, Rome, New York, Munich, Moscow, Beijing, Sydney and Vancouver are all fantastic cities - Barcelona's the best imo. I like London too.

Don't like Paris much; Bilbao was great for the Guggenheim and restaurants; Vegas is a hot Blackpool, Miami and Dubai are just hot and dull though the architecture's interesting; Delhi is outright bonkers; San Fransisco wasn't as good as I thought it would be, LA too.

Go somewhere closeish and for a short while. If you like it you can always go back.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

While we're doing Italy - for god's sake don't anyone go to Naples! (unless it's a stopping point to go somewhere nice like Capri)

Yes I have heard bad things about naples. ThE Amalfi coast is great tho.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm going to Budapest in March with the wife. Good to see so many people rating it highly. Any good tips?

The area around here is fantastic.

20170728_220008.thumb.jpg.44ce2d15fad6a92c74f31d714d3bf324.jpg

Within the old castle walls, great views of the town and river below, loads of nice bars and restaurants and away from the stag do heaven of lower Budapest. 

Very cheap eating and drinking place in gardens of the church, but even at it's most expensive it's on a par with what you'll spend back home.

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm going to Budapest in March with the wife. Good to see so many people rating it highly. Any good tips?

It's a while since I went but we stayed in the Gellert, which is a magnificent old hotel on the river with fantastic old spa baths in the basement. Might have gone to **** now though :(

https://www.danubiushotels.com/en/our-hotels-budapest/danubius-hotel-gellert

26 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Recommend all the walking tours, the baths which StivPresley mentioned too. Then the jewish quarter for food and drink, visit the ruin bars. :thumbsup:

Prague is special too, did a downloadable beer tour which started at the top in a craft brewery, and worked it's way down the hill and over the river, and included the local places you'd never even notice as well as the more touristy places. 

Venice is lovely, and not too expensive if you stick to local places, and ignore beer!

The vaporetto is a cheap way of travelling, around 15/20 euros for a 3  day pass which will take you everywhere you may wish to visit.

The only place we paid to enter while there was around 5 euros to have a audiotour of a church hall which was stuffed with Tintoretto and Titian artwork, worth the trip on its own.

The novelty of seeing binmen doing their rounds on a boat was enough in itself for me to make the trip worthwhile!

Outside bet, how about Palma de Mallorca?

Cheap and easy to get to, and stay in, fantastic history and architecture in the city itself, and great links to the rest of the island?

Decent combination of beach and cultural holiday, the little train between Palma and Soller is well worth a day out.

7 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Rome was beautiful, definitely the best major European major city out there. Best restaurants, drinks were good, the touristy stuff was excellent. The Roman Forum was incredible. Cost less than a trip to Dublin. Fingers crossed I can convince her to go.

We went to Rome last summer in the middle of the drought, 37°C (98°F) in the shade, threatening to cut the water off. We were knackered by 4 p.m.

For me, the nicest city in Italy is Perugia, which is where Fabrizio Ravanelli hails from. Cheap, laid back, friendly locals, an Etruscan gate and walls dating back to 200 B.C., some amazing 13th century big blocks of flats in the centre, some fantastic old hilltop towns to visit such as Assisi, Todi, Orvieto, Gubbio or Spello, and just down the road from Lake Trasimeno.

Amsterdam...

Get mowed down by bikes everywhere you go, asked if you want bugle every two minutes, museums aren't brilliant (apart from Anne Franks) the food is toss, boat trips not bad... went with the other half before Christmas "what do you want to do now?"... "ummmm walk past the windows again?"..."suppose we could" zzzzzz

9 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

the food is toss

The food is free. Lived there for a while in a squat with an Irish painter. We’d go down the market each evening with a laundry basket, fill it with discarded veg, then drag it back on the tram, drop some acid and cook curry. You had to be there. 

12 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Me and the missus are planning a holiday this summer and trying to decide on a destination.

She's banging on about Paris and thinks it'll be a romantic trip. I went to Paris a few years back with a couple of mates, thought it was an utter dump. Sat outside a bar near Notre Dame. The beer was expensive but it's to be expected from a tourist hot spot. To my surprise the waiter told us as we sat down, drinking on the outside tables was an extra 3 euros per pint. Had to pick my jaw off the floor. Wasn't exactly a posh place either. Walking back to the main train station trying was like a scene from the film Children of Men. Put me off going back. Rather go for a drink around Derby.                     

Rome was beautiful, definitely the best major European major city out there. Best restaurants, drinks were good, the touristy stuff was excellent. The Roman Forum was incredible. Cost less than a trip to Dublin. Fingers crossed I can convince her to go.

Any other suggestions or places to avoid that look good on paper?

I don't feel qualified to say whether or not somewhere is overrated, because I realise that different people like different things.

If you have never been to Bruges, give it a try some time (a few on here have already extolled the virtues of that beautiful city). If you have already been, well, you don't need me to tell you to go again.

14 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Tallinn is great go in the summer never gets dark ,architecture is lovely and so is the nightlife and  the people .I personally love Marbella [not Puerto Banus]  expensive but great for all ages ,unpretentious [thats Puerto Banus] great food .

P.S Tallinn is best without the missus unfortunately.

I agree that Tallinn is great and on the same trip you could visit also Helsinki and Stockholm which has a lot to offer at the summertime. Three capitals in a week without getting hurried. Different kind of cities and lots of nice places to eat and visit.

Archived