Underrated and Overrated Cities/Tourist Attractions

SSD

Tallinn is great go in the summer never gets dark ,architecture is lovely and so is the nightlife and  the people .I personally love Marbella [not Puerto Banus]  expensive but great for all ages ,unpretentious [thats Puerto Banus] great food .

P.S Tallinn is best without the missus unfortunately.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I thought Venice was awful, far too crowded to move or see anything. I quite liked Paris, but I just got pissed with some Germans and rode around on the metro. Greece is my favourite place, but Athens is super polluted and the acropolis is basically on a roundabout. 

I prefer smaller places anyway and have had great holidays in Argostoli on Kefalonia and Annecy in France. 

Venice is beautiful.. we arrived at 4am as the sun was rising and before the tourists arrived. never been to Athens, sounds like one to cross off the list. Pollution is a real problem in some cities like Delhi.   

Belfast is quite good for a weekend, lots of irish bars hidden away though not as obvious to find as those in temple bar dublin. Much cheaper than Dublin.

Derry worth a visit too.

25 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Venice is beautiful.. we arrived at 4am as the sun was rising and before the tourists arrived. never been to Athens, sounds like one to cross off the list. Pollution is a real problem in some cities like Delhi.   

We were there in the middle of August and stuck it for less than a day. My friend is married to someone from Venice and she hates it too; too many ******* gondolas, probably. I don’t doubt the architectural beauty, but as an overall experience it was dire. No doubt you have to pick your moment. 

I remember standing at the acropolis and seeing a huge brown doughnut of smog circling the city. That was in the 80s, goodness knows what it’s like now. 

8 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

We were there in the middle of August and stuck it for less than a day. My friend is married to someone from Venice and she hates it too; too many ******* gondolas, probably. I don’t doubt the architectural beauty, but as an overall experience it was dire. No doubt you have to pick your moment.

We went in August too - it was stupidly busy in the middle of the tourist area, but once we got further out it wasn't too bad and the restaurants started to get much cheaper. It's a weird place in that eye level and upwards the buildings are beatuful but look down and at canal level - the state of the brickwork was upsetting me. If anyone is any good at re-pointing you could make a fortune in Venice

20 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Belfast is quite good for a weekend, lots of irish bars hidden away though not as obvious to find as those in temple bar dublin. Much cheaper than Dublin.

Probably for a lads weekend aye. We went with the family and bars were strict about not letting kids in. Even at 4pm after a day traipsing around the sights we couldn't get a quiet pint. It's like an English northern city from 25 years ago (not just the licensing laws!)

Just now, StivePesley said:

Probably for a lads weekend aye. We went with the family and bars were strict about not letting kids in. Even at 4pm after a day traipsing around the sights we couldn't get a quite pint. It's like an English northern city from 25 years ago (not just the licensing laws!)

Yeah can't say I've seen many kids in bars to be fair.  Its a great base northern Ireland is a very underrated place to visit.

It depends what you want. Rome is best for ancient history, Belgium for 20th century history (and great beer).

Krakow and Lisbon are the cheapest cities in the east and west respectively.

My favourite city is San Sebastian. Amazing food and nights out. Great beaches, sights, walking and wine. Very couple friendly. 

Rome and venice 5 days 4 nights,went this time last year £500 for the both of us including flights quality bb and train tickets from Rome to Venice 4 hours express train which was excellent .This time of year good to go as about 15 degrees and sunny with very few Que's for attractions.

3 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Rome and venice 5 days 4 nights,went this time last year £500 for the both of us including flights quality bb and train tickets from Rome to Venice 4 hours express train which was excellent .This time of year good to go as about 15 degrees and sunny with very few Que's for attractions.

While we're doing Italy - for god's sake don't anyone go to Naples! (unless it's a stopping point to go somewhere nice like Capri)

Archived