Underrated and Overrated Cities/Tourist Attractions

SSD

Rome and Paris are a bit ugly in places outside the tourist places tbh. They are both proper working cities with their social problems common to London etc.

Tokyo/Japan in general are great places to go - really underrated for most people, probably because it's miles and miles away. Fantastic tourist sites, clean, food is great. You can do it somewhat cheaper than you'd think although it is a bit expensive.

Really enjoyed the history and craziness of Istanbul, not sure if i'd go there now though tbh..

Georgia... what a lovely country. I would recommend anyone to go to the capital Tbilisi and the national parks in the north are breathtaking. Really fantastic, dirt cheap and interesting history. Great wines and food is pretty good too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

Rome and Paris are a bit ugly in places outside the tourist places tbh. They are both proper working cities with their social problems common to London etc.

Tokyo/Japan in general are great places to go - really underrated for most people, probably because it's miles and miles away. Fantastic tourist sites, clean, food is great. You can do it somewhat cheaper than you'd think although it is a bit expensive.

Really enjoyed the history and craziness of Istanbul, not sure if i'd go there now though tbh..

Georgia... what a lovely country. I would recommend anyone to go to the capital Tbilisi and the national parks in the north are breathtaking. Really fantastic, dirt cheap and interesting history. Great wines and food is pretty good too.

Barcelona is the same ,I drove in and the suburbs are truly horrible .

16 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm going to Budapest in March with the wife. Good to see so many people rating it highly. Any good tips?

yeah, if you and your wife decide to enter a 'gentleman's club', make sure you're aware of any minimal spend obligations before hand! I went in with 3 friends, and after smiling and drinking 3 swigs of beer, we were already £500 down! :angry:

There was a nice hall with several bars in the Jewish Quarter, including a really lively/entertaining karaoke bar.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274887-d8293929-Reviews-Blue_Bird_Karaoke-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

20 minutes ago, Moist One said:

yeah, if you and your wife decide to enter a 'gentleman's club', make sure you're aware of any minimal spend obligations before hand! I went in with 3 friends, and after smiling and drinking 3 swigs of beer, we were already £500 down! :angry:

Blimey - at that price, I hope this story had an ermmm...happy ending?

Just now, StivePesley said:

Blimey - at that price, I hope this story had an ermmm...happy ending?

nope. Maybe only the consolation that thankfully my instincts kicked in so quickly to avoid further rip off. We'd literally been there 5 minutes. It was odd to me that they didn't ask for money for the beers, and that all the ladies came over asking for a drink and then specifically for wine, in fact, insisting on wine. Then when told the wine was 50,000ft, I went to ask if I could pay for the drinks (so I could work out how much we could spend on 'entertainment', when they pulled out a 176000ft bill, I choked. They did us for 4x minimum spend, 4x beer, 1x wine, and 1x dance (a girl was toplessly gyrating on a mate), none of which was actually agreed.

Maastricht , really nice city well worth a weekend away

Waterloo , should be a huge empty battlefield with nothing to see , but they have managed to create the best Museum I have been to, unmissable

Barcelona - completely overrated , grubby city , only surprise is the fantastic beach

18 hours ago, Moist One said:

nope. Maybe only the consolation that thankfully my instincts kicked in so quickly to avoid further rip off. We'd literally been there 5 minutes. It was odd to me that they didn't ask for money for the beers, and that all the ladies came over asking for a drink and then specifically for wine, in fact, insisting on wine. Then when told the wine was 50,000ft, I went to ask if I could pay for the drinks (so I could work out how much we could spend on 'entertainment', when they pulled out a 176000ft bill, I choked. They did us for 4x minimum spend, 4x beer, 1x wine, and 1x dance (a girl was toplessly gyrating on a mate), none of which was actually agreed.

I’m shocked? Getting ripped off in a lap dancing bar in a foreign country would be the last thing I would have in the back of my mind when I entered.

Come on mate, you must go in a lot of respectable ones in the UK then that’s all I can think?

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I’m shocked? Getting ripped off in a lap dancing bar in a foreign country would be the last thing I would have in the back of my mind when I entered.

Come on mate, you must go in a lot of respectable ones in the UK then that’s all I can think?

not generally my thing, but the ones I have experienced generally want to have a good reputation and entice you to recommend and come back. The irony is, one of my mates is minted, and whenever we are away, he does 1000s in a quality establishment, they lost out on money by ripping us off.

This is a fantastic topic, particularly interesting for me as I've lived in many different places, including one of the most despised places in the thread. Why no love for Naples? :lol:

St. Petersburg is such an enjoyable city. Of course, I'm biased as I lived there for four years, but it has absolutely everything except for consistently hot weather and visa-free access. It has stunning architecture, fascinating history, immense culture (so many museums, theatres, art galleries), beautiful palaces and parks to stroll around (notably in nearby Petergof and Pushkin), an excellent variety of bars and restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets (and the chance to try Eurasian food: Georgian food is fabulous), and all in all, the city has a really beautiful, romantic but also lively ambience at any time of the year. You'll be hard pressed to find a more versatile and charming city, in my opinion. 

If you are looking for a summer spot in particular, Porto is one place I'd definitely recommend. I went there last summer and it's fantastic. Excellent architecture, excellent (yet cheap) food, excellent wine, excellent weather, excellent views. It's a foodie's dream. The only downside is that there aren't an abundance of sights to see if that's what you enjoy. But if you are happy to stroll in the sun and eat yourself silly, then it's perfect.

A dark horse worth mentioning - especially if you plump for Budapest - would be Belgrade. It's one of those cities that might not jump out at you if you see it on a map but it's also one of those cities that goes under the radar. I really enjoyed my time there - the fortress and the surrounding areas were really interesting to walk around, the people were really warm and accommodating, food and beer was cheap yet hearty, and there is brilliant nightlife. 

Other honourable mentions: Florence, San Sebastian, Seville, Berlin, Budapest and Sofia.

On 24 January 2018 at 12:56, Moist One said:

Blimey. They pulled out a 176000 ft bill?.....must have been a tall order. 

On 23/01/2018 at 18:00, sage said:

It depends what you want. Rome is best for ancient history, Belgium for 20th century history (and great beer).

Krakow and Lisbon are the cheapest cities in the east and west respectively.

My favourite city is San Sebastian. Amazing food and nights out. Great beaches, sights, walking and wine. Very couple friendly. 

Just out of interest, which airport did you fly into to visit San Sebastián? It is on my wish list of places to visit. 

26 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Just out of interest, which airport did you fly into to visit San Sebastián? It is on my wish list of places to visit. 

There is an airport in San Sebastián but it is not well served by major airlines.

I flew into Bilbao and spent a few days there before getting a bus to San Sebastián. Very straightforward.

You can also fly to Biarritz in France and get to SS by train.

38 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

There is an airport in San Sebastián but it is not well served by major airlines.

I flew into Bilbao and spent a few days there before getting a bus to San Sebastián. Very straightforward.

You can also fly to Biarritz in France and get to SS by train.

Yes, pretty much this is it. I would say 2 days in Bilbao and 3 days in San Seb is ideal. You can fly to Bilbao with EasyJet from Manchester or Stansted. Best months to go are June or September IMO

Archived