Underrated and Overrated Cities/Tourist Attractions

SSD

Me and the missus are planning a holiday this summer and trying to decide on a destination.

She's banging on about Paris and thinks it'll be a romantic trip. I went to Paris a few years back with a couple of mates, thought it was an utter dump. Sat outside a bar near Notre Dame. The beer was expensive but it's to be expected from a tourist hot spot. To my surprise the waiter told us as we sat down, drinking on the outside tables was an extra 3 euros per pint. Had to pick my jaw off the floor. Wasn't exactly a posh place either. Walking back to the main train station trying was like a scene from the film Children of Men. Put me off going back. Rather go for a drink around Derby.                     

Rome was beautiful, definitely the best major European major city out there. Best restaurants, drinks were good, the touristy stuff was excellent. The Roman Forum was incredible. Cost less than a trip to Dublin. Fingers crossed I can convince her to go.

Any other suggestions or places to avoid that look good on paper?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paris gets a hard time, indeed France as a whole does I think, but I quite enjoyed it.  Depends where you go I guess but wouldn't describe it as a dump at all.

Favourite European city I've been to is probably Barcelona - got everything - beach, great food, culture, beautiful buildings, squares to sit in with a beer or two, some great nightclubs, great football team, shopping for the Mrs, loads to do, great weather most of the year.

Most overrated/hyped city is L.A. Polluted, busy, no decent city scape to look feels a bit dangerous at night. Really don't see the attraction.

Overrated tourist attraction specifically that I've been to is probably the little mermaid in Copenhagen. Statue is fine enough, if a little small, but it's out of the city centre and the backdrop is basically a shipping lane and industrial Copenhagen. At least it's free.

I love Italy but Rome is average. Nightlife just ain't all that.

I've been most impressed with Rome, Barcelona & Amsterdam as city breaks. Rome probably my favourite.

The most disappointing for me was the Giza pyramids in Egypt. The city is now about 30 feet away from them & you're just constantly accosted by beggars & worse.

Paris is much like London - massive with some grim bits, but plenty of world-famous landmarks to make it the sort of place that everyone should visit once. Do the landmarks ang get out of there before you bankrupt yourself!

I didn't much like Rome for the same reason.

Good shout in Dubrovnik. I got married there ten years ago and going back this summer.

If we're talking European capital cities - Copenhagen is amazing. Prague, Budapest, Bucharest, Tallin, Helsinki, Lubljana - all worth seeing and you'll spend a lot less than in Paris..

Best cities visited in Europe : Budapest, Rome, Salzburg, Florence, Verona & Bruges

Disappointing : Pisa &  Paris

Best cities outside Europe : Melbourne, San Francisco, Vancouver, Seattle, Toronto & Boston

Disappointing : Los Angeles (horrible place)

I thought Venice was awful, far too crowded to move or see anything. I quite liked Paris, but I just got pissed with some Germans and rode around on the metro. Greece is my favourite place, but Athens is super polluted and the acropolis is basically on a roundabout. 

I prefer smaller places anyway and have had great holidays in Argostoli on Kefalonia and Annecy in France. 

Granada, Cordoba and Seville can all be visited in the same holiday in southern Spain.  All beautiful cities !  You could spend a lifetime of holidays in Spain and Portugal to be honest, so many great locations, and that's without ever setting foot on a beach or a golf course.

Gets a bit too hot for me in the middle of summer however.

Love Brugge, Barcelona was great.

Wasn't fussed with Florence, but enjoyed Sienna.

Actually quite like Paris but so expensive.

Really like London actually too.

7 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Granada, Cordoba and Seville can all be visited in the same holiday in southern Spain.  All beautiful cities !  You could spend a lifetime of holidays in Spain and Portugal to be honest, so many great locations, and that's without ever setting foot on a beach or a golf course.

Gets a bit too hot for me in the middle of summer however.

Did Madrid, Granada, Cordoba, Seville and Lisbon the other summer in the same trip.

All top places.

2 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Did Madrid, Granada, Cordoba, Seville and Lisbon the other summer in the same trip.

All top places.

yeah I really liked Lisbon too, never been to Madrid though. There is a lovely little walled town just north of Lisbon called Obidos. Very picturesque. 

6 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

All top places.

yep all good

Cadiz is a fantastic little city, the was a tv series where Rick Stein went there which gives quite a good idea of the place.  Blessed with many places to visit within a couple of hours for me

4 minutes ago, Highgate said:

yeah I really liked Lisbon too, never been to Madrid though. There is a lovely little walled town just north of Lisbon called Obidos. Very picturesque. 

Lisboas great and so is Porto.  some great little towns just north of there also

Best cities visited in Europe : Budapest, Zaghreb, Berlin, Athens, Bruges, Istanbul

Disappointing : Paris and Vienna

Best in N America: San Francisco, San Diego, NY and Denver.

Aghadir, Cape Town, Johannesburg (surprisingly).

Beirut, Amman, Muscat, Limassol, Kerela, Waligama and 

Overrated:

LA, Vegas, Dubai, Cairo and mumbai

Just now, Gypsy Ram said:

Best cities visited in Europe : Budapest, Zaghreb, Berlin, Athens, Bruges, Istanbul

Disappointing : Paris and Vienna

Best in N America: San Francisco, San Diego, NY and Denver.

Aghadir, Cape Town, Johannesburg (surprisingly).

Beirut, Amman, Muscat, Limassol, Kerela, Waligama and 

Overrated:

LA, Vegas, Dubai, Cairo and mumbai

Show off

Archived