Adam Clayton

DarkFruitsRam7

18 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

You Craig's dad or something? :lol:

He's lost the attacking element that made him so effective as a fullback but simultaneously seems a yard off the pace defensively. He used to be as good as Wisdom for snuffing out any crosses or threat from the wings but hasn't demonstrated that recently. I obviously would love to see him return to form but I'd prefer to see us not base our promotion chances on the possibility of that happening if we can help it.

A thought just popped into my head, how about putting Baird at LB and Wisdom back in at RB? We wouldn't really lose any of the physical, aerial presence that Forsyth provides, and we'd have an absolute tank at RB. The only issue I could see is a lack of width, and perhaps the awkwardness of having a right-footer at left back.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BurtonRam7 said:

A thought just popped into my head, how about putting Baird at LB and Wisdom back in at RB? We wouldn't really lose any of the physical, aerial presence that Forsyth provides, and we'd have an absolute tank at RB. The only issue I could see is a lack of width.

Whilst Baird could fit in at LB during a game he would struggle there long term.

Positionally everything is different, You tackle off a different foot and you need an accurate left foot to play the ball down the channel.

A great back four I agree but not balanced. 

8 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

A thought just popped into my head, how about putting Baird at LB and Wisdom back in at RB? We wouldn't really lose any of the physical, aerial presence that Forsyth provides, and we'd have an absolute tank at RB. The only issue I could see is a lack of width, and perhaps the awkwardness of having a right-footer at left back.

Yeah, I like the idea but I do actually feel he's better at RB. What seems the real shame is that due to Baird's (incredible) form, Wisdom, one of the best fullbacks in the league, hasn't really had a look in recently. 

Just one of those things I guess. Better to have someone of Wisdom's calibre forced to the bench due to the form of another fullback than no form players in a position :D

2 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Clayton and Fabio in a £3-4 million swoop would be cracking business imo :)

That would be brilliant business but would have next to no chance of happening unfortunately as Boro would charge us a fortune. Clayton would provide the energy in midfield and Fabio would be an improvement on Forsyth and Olsson. Only slight downside to Fabio is that he is right footed so we'd lose some width on the left hand side but if we were able to get both for that price combined then I'd snap your hand off.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That would be brilliant business but would have next to no chance of happening unfortunately as Boro would charge us a fortune. Clayton would provide the energy in midfield and Fabio would be an improvement on Forsyth and Olsson. Only slight downside to Fabio is that he is right footed so we'd lose some width on the left hand side but if we were able to get both for that price combined then I'd snap your hand off.

Yeah all fair comments. Didn't realise Fabio was right footed, actually a big downside in my book. I hope we're actively looking if there's any decent LB's available though

2 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

We didn't concede a goal in 16 hours of football in open play and you've got the cheek to say we need a new left back in January! 16 FECKING HOURS.... THE CHEEK!

You my friend need to really consider how you are treating our players.

Well said 

55 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Fabio - well the first thing Pulis did was drop Fabio and put someone with a left foot at left back as Middlesbrough were leaking goals all over the back line and even we scored three which nearly as many as we have scored up there in twenty years

6 minutes ago, Sat Atwal said:

Everyone can forget about Fabio. Ss reporting he is homesick and wants to go back to Brazil.

Is it like when Carlos Tevez wanted to leave Manchester City to move closer to Argentina then went to Juventus?

Maybe Fabio just wants to move closer to Brazil. Derby is closer to Brazil than Middlesbrough. Problem solved.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Mc. He's played loads of games at left back for Boro Cardiff and Man U   But can't see Boro  doing us any favours 

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

That’s what I’d looked to do tbh, it’s clear our two best fullbacks our right sided, but with Baird able to play that side it makes sense to get them both in. Obviously it woild be preferable to get a new LB, but we can’t carry on with Forsyth’s distribution and positional sense, he gives the ball away too much resulting in the opposition having too much possession and us unable to build down the left side. As strong defensively as he is, giving the ball away so cheaply is costing us sometimes and we need to rectify that before it starts effecting our results.

17 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Clayton's wages probably are high. If we are in for a defensive midfielder I would prefer either Tom Cairney or Kevin MacDonald from Fulham.  They are both good ball players.

I believe Fulham turned down a £18-20m bid for Cairney in the summer.

Good, good player but most definitely not in our ball park.

I actually think Clayton would be an excellent signing. The first name I’ve seen that I’ve wanted to be honest. He’s (was, at least) a better version of Hendrick. He’ll be someone that can pick the ball up from those centre two positions and drive through the lines. Huddlestone and Ledley don’t offer that - Keogh has been doing it for the most part. 

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I believe Fulham turned down a £18-20m bid for Cairney in the summer.

Good, good player but most definitely not in our ball park.

I actually think Clayton would be an excellent signing. The first name I’ve seen that I’ve wanted to be honest. He’s (was, at least) a better version of Hendrick. He’ll be someone that can pick the ball up from those centre two positions and drive through the lines. Huddlestone and Ledley don’t offer that - Keogh has been doing it for the most part. 

I'm sure Fulham could be tempted by a 750k bid along with Chris Martin.

8 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

This might tip me over the edge

8 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Perhaps he is mullen over the move

8 hours ago, StivePesley said:

We're going up - with or without him

Haha I find these to be excellent puns, bravo. 

However for the benefit of some dimwits on here it might be an idea to explain why they're so funny.

I won't need to read the explanation obviously because I already find the puns to be quite excellent.

Archived