Derby County F.C. v Sheffield United F.C.

Boycie

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Firstly I'm a fan of Martin and his gameplay....I think he brings a skillset to the table that the other strikers,which I also admire for their differing abilities,don't have...he brings control to games which the others can't.Thats not required for every game tho,which is why I'm also a big fan of Nugent.

But when I feel Martin us the better option,I'll state it on here...that's my right and I certainly won't be apologising g to you or anyone else for it.If you don't like that,that's up to you....as I said,ignore me if it bothers you so much.

Secondly,I don't go to matches?....I've been to ten home matches this season which isn't bad when I work a ten week,24 hour shift pattern....I wasn't aware that it was a requirement to attend any matches whatsoever to comment on the games but I like to think I do my bit...how many have you managed?

I know it's hard to believe but others have opinions that are just as valid as yours and just because they aren't what you want to hear doesn't disqualify them from being ardent rams fans too.

As a massive fan of Martin myself Kash I thought I’d run my opinion of today past you.

Having seen that today and how we play I think he needs to move on.Our style of play is not suited to him at all.

There’s no one near him to flick play in feed off and there was no one more than me wanted him to come and start back heeling people in and smash a 25 yarder in...I think it’s over☹️

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, coneheadjohn said:

As a massive fan of Martin myself Kash I thought I’d run my opinion of today past you.

Having seen that today and how we play I think he needs to move on.Our style of play is not suited to him at all.

There’s no one near him to flick play in feed off and there was no one more than me wanted him to come and start back heeling people in and smash a 25 yarder in...I think it’s over☹️

I agree. Sad though it makes me.

58 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

Very good point on the formation. I think Rowett mentioned in the post match interview that 352 is a difficult system to play against (presumably if you play a 4231). Surely no coincidence that the three sides we have struggled against all play that formation.

The formation we play (4-4-1-1) is actually one of the best set-ups to use against a formation like Sheffield Utd. Two of the teams we've played (Sheff Utd, Reading) all had a midfield duo of Johnson/Huddlestone, which is the only reason why we're losing them. Johnson has 0 positional sense in the center of the park and Huddlestone doesn't have the legs to cover for his partner. Against Wolves we played a 4-3-3 which is utter ***** vs 3-5-2 and we had the horrific midfield of Butterfield/Johnson/Huddlestone.

I'd put money on us smashing all three of them had we started with any of those games with a combination of Thorne/Ledley/Huddlestone. We lost all of those games due to midfield personnel choices.

Positives today,we look solid.

Keogh,Baird and Davies look very tight.

Huddlestone put a good shift in and looks much more mobile than early season.

Vydra looks class,JR has got his mojo back.

I like the look of Winnall he looks like he would die for the cause.

Apart from that I’ll just take it as an off day.

We enjoyed the game as well?

11 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I agree. Sad though it makes me.

I don't think this should become another Martin debate,im as bored with them as the next man now.

My view over the past few weeks is that if gr has no intention of using Martin to the best of his ability and the team will continue to operate as it does then I'd prefer to see him playing for someone else and getting regular games.

Ten minutes here and there isn't going to do him or the club any good whatsoever.

Having said all of that,starting with Martin and thorne on the pitch would still have been better than what we actually played with today.....

Standing back now after the Villa game suddenly the result today looks ok.

i know I am probably gonna get slaughtered for saying this but with the players clearly knackered, two or three injuries and the league a priority then I would literally almost play the U23 side at Utd. Maybe add a few of the players who deserve or need 90 mins such as Martin, Bent, Sam etc..

Know the fans want us to give it a right go but I can’t help thinking about priorities.....

Just now, caymanram said:

i know I am probably gonna get slaughtered for saying this but with the players clearly knackered, two or three injuries and the league a priority then I would literally almost play the U23 side at Utd. Maybe add a few of the players who deserve or need 90 mins such as Martin, Bent, Sam etc..

Know the fans want us to give it a right go but I can’t help thinking about priorities.....

Tempting to use it as a shop window. Bring in shackell anya Olson bent etc.....

2 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Absolutely agree,the league is all that matters...let's the under 23's and fringe players give it a go...no-one wants any of the first team to either pick up an injury or become even more fatigued than they were today,for the sake of a cup game.

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm also a Martin fan. Think he's a very good player at this level. However, we are currently second top scorers (I think) in the division so I don't see why people are calling for him at every opportunity.

I also find it strange that people can not be at a match yet still conclude 'this match is perfect for....'. Just my opinion.

I am a season ticket holder, have been for 30 years, however, I don't think makes my opinions any more valid than yours. And I certainly don't expect anyone to apologise to me for their views.

I actually didn't make todays match hence I don't think I can really say whether Martin would have made any difference. Certainly from what I heard on the radio  (that we were losing the battle in midfield) I would find it hard to come to that conclusion though.

Think it’s a dead-on certainty that Martin will leave if we get a decent offer. Just a shame that when he comes on the market he hasn’t been playing and  scoring......probability get 2-3m less than we would have before he went to Fulham in truth....

Given the other results from all over the league I’d say take the point and move on. 

The 8 hour round trip to Ipswich 2 day’s ago wouldnhave had more of an affect than Sheffield’s short journey to Boulton. 

Yes they are professionals and yes some were rested but at the end of a ridiculous period of games in a short time we were off our game and still came away with a 1-1. 

2nd in the table and not getting beat 5-0 by another top 6 Side. (That does the goal difference a world of good as well) 

PistoldPete2
Just now, Ruda Harliss said:

Performances aside What on earth happened to the defence for their goal?

Yes it was a schocker.. like everyone just froze. And giving the divisons top goal scorer a free header? Oh well hard to criticise a defence thats let in so few but that was a very bad goal to give away.

19 minutes ago, caymanram said:

I might agree,but history seems to show that when we rest a load of players for cup games,rather than looking refreshed for the next league game,for some reason we put in a turgid display.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I strongly believe that George Thorne is the player who will guide us through the last twenty games. To ensure he can do that, it was right now to start him today. While a draw at home against a promotion rival is disappointing, it sets us up for the rest of the campaign with a fit Thorne, raring to go. Not disastrous.

Cardiff lost with a potential equalizer controversially ruled out. The gumps did us a favour against dirty Leeds. For the 5.30 kickoff I'm hoping to see a draw or, failing that, a Villa win.

Lots of twists and turns. Twenty cup finals to go now. Come on you Rams!

Noticed a few comments about George and I’d agree with you he could be key, but even when he came on today, I watched run in midfield on a break, to run back as part cover on the right at one point and as we tried to break again, he looked knackered. So might be wrong, but I reckon Rowett had sensed his energy levels after Ipswich were not right up where they would do him justice.

As for today, their 5 in Midfield bossed it, as Johnson and Huddlestone struggled to keep pace just like at their ground earlier in the season. As much as Russell and Weimann tried to help, the Blades moved the ball well. Don’t really think it would have mattered which two were in the middle, we just didn’t have their energy.

We’ll be fine though, Birmingham away 2 weeks off, plenty of time to catch our breath and go again, hopefully with Thorne and Ledley back fully in contention.

54 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That was a horrible throwback to how it was at the start of the season. I hope for Johnson's sake and the team's he never plays as a defensive midfielder for us again as he's far better forward. He becomes half the player when put at defensive midfield because he knows he can't impose himself physically, which makes him half the player, as he knows the consequences of being rash are far greater than they would be if he played at left midfield. I hope people can see how important Ledley and Lawrence are to the team. Lawrence is often double marked which means there is more space for the other players(plus allows weimann to play at right midfield). Ledley gives us defensive awareness in the middle of the park as has a great understanding of the game.

This is a borderline sensible post. I hope your resolution lasts at least into February. Happy New Year McLovin.

9 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Performances aside What on earth happened to the defence for their goal?

It was the short corner that did it combined with Johnson not pressing Donaldson well enough and Baird letting Clarke just walk past him. Pity really because that was the only clear cut opportunity they created all match.

Not easy to choose MOTM but for me it had to be Curtis Davies. Thought Keogh was nervous for most of the game - strange considering he's been outstanding all season. One really frustrating issue which has been prevalent over recent matches is the total lack of movement when we have throw-ins, i feel so sorry for those taking the throws.

For me the turning point was the Weimann miss when clean through with us already a goal up. Score then and things could have been so different and to not even hit the target - oh dear!

Still, we took a point, ar e further ahead of the 3rd place team than we were before kick-off and now there's an opportunity to rest key players for almost 2 weeks if Rowett so wishes. 

Archived