Derby County F.C. v Sheffield United F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheffield United looked like a good side. Based on today, I'd say they're still a good bet to finish in the top six and I'm not really sure why or how their form has dropped off and they've lost to some of the teams they have.

For us, we looked tired. That's not an excuse, there's no reason why we should have been any more tired than Sheffield United. Their style is a game we could have thrived under and not many teams come to PP and play the way they did, but for whatever reason it just didn't work today.

In wider context, it's a very good point. We could easily have lost that. They scored from probably their only clear chance of the game but they always looked capable of creating something every time they came forward. Cardiff lost so it's a point gained for us rather than two dropped. We extend the gap to them, even though Bristol City can take 2nd back against Villa later. It'll be interesting to see how Cardiff recover from 4 straight defeats.

I suspect Bristol City will end up being our main rivals for automatic promotion for the duration of the season. There's no need to panic if they finish the day in 2nd place. We still have them at home, it's still very much in our hands but we'll have to be a lot better than we were today. Plenty of twists and turns left and a long way to go. Could prove to be a very important point when we may not have necessarily deserved it - much like Hull.

Can't believe how much that donkey Leon Clarke has improved this season.

Forsyth really is the weak leak IMO, doesn't look the player he was 3-4 years back. Sure he's had serious injuries but should be totally match fit by now and finding form, he isn't.

Kudos to United for coming for the 3 points.

I strongly believe that George Thorne is the player who will guide us through the last twenty games. To ensure he can do that, it was right now to start him today. While a draw at home against a promotion rival is disappointing, it sets us up for the rest of the campaign with a fit Thorne, raring to go. Not disastrous.

Cardiff lost with a potential equalizer controversially ruled out. The gumps did us a favour against dirty Leeds. For the 5.30 kickoff I'm hoping to see a draw or, failing that, a Villa win.

Lots of twists and turns. Twenty cup finals to go now. Come on you Rams!

A point is not bad after Sheff U’s pressure and workrate. Good to see Warnock’s wheels have fallen off, and Leeds have had a bad week too. Lets hope Villa take something from Bristol City.

Not that impressed with the Rams today from the team selection onwards - would have brought Thorne on earlier and removed Nugent rather than Vydra (and don’t think Bennett should be on the bench ahead of Thomas) 

Both full backs struggled, Johnson and Hudds never convinces me at centre mid but we’re still in a great position with a week off to be enjoyed now :) 

A little disappointed listening to Matt Murray on Sky, he reckons Sheffield were the better team and rightly or wrongly I feel we have to take the initiative at home. That typed, Rowett’s still in credit with me at the minute.

On the bright side, it’s a lovely moon tonight, Happy New Year y’all. 

3 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

A little disappointed listening to Matt Murray on Sky, he reckons Sheffield were the better team and rightly or wrongly I feel we have to take the initiative at home. That typed, Rowett’s still in credit with me at the minute.

On the bright side, it’s a lovely moon tonight, Happy New Year y’all. 

He was correct- they were. Impressed with them.

Bristol City have a tough game against Villa, but at the very worst we're going to end the day 1 point outside the top two. That's a great position to be in at this stage of the season. I'd personally like a draw between those two. A Villa win brings them within 5 points of us. We've seen with Cardiff how quickly a lead can evaporate. In 4 games there's been an 8 point swing. I'd prefer a straight battle with one other side rather than having other teams gaining momentum and coming back into this.

Frustrating decisions from Rowett. He shouldn't have dropped Winnall, it's no way to reward a player who scored a brace at Portman Road and his replacement in Nugent was invisible. I don't understand why he's so stubborn with this Johnson/Huddlestone combo, it quite simply doesn't work and his lost us a good number of points this season. I understand 2 games in such a short time might be difficult for Thorne but Johnson clearly isn't fit either, would have rather started Thorne and brought Johnson on later if he was struggling. His substitutes today were also far, far too slow. 

That said they were a very good side and similarly to Hull away, this will probably be looked back as a point won. We've come away with something after being outplayed completely and everyone around us lost so we have gained something. Let's enjoy Friday and start building some more momentum against brum.

Didn't create a single proper chance in the second half. Not a good performance, both sides looked really knackered towards the end.

I hope Max Lowe will get his chance this year as he looked really promising when he got a run of games last season. 

A disappointing result considering the result and performance at Ipswich but not the end of the world considering Cardiff's defeat and Leeds home draw. Injuries to Ledley and Lawrence didn't help but I feel Thorne should have been given 60 minutes as his passing and ball control are superior to Johnson.

Just now, DerpyDane said:

Didn't create a single proper chance in the second half. Not a good performance, both sides looked really knackered towards the end.

I hope Max Lowe will get his chance this year as he looked really promising when he got a run of games last season. 

Are you DerbyDane gone a bit wrong mate? :lol:

Archived