Derby County F.C. v Sheffield United F.C.

Boycie

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

That is exactly the point I was trying to make..but obviously you put it much more eloquently than I...well played.

The only games which MAY suit Martin is when teams come and park the bus against us and we need effective possession further up the pitch.

When we use our A game Martin will be nowhere near as effective. That's not a criticism of him or Rowett, just how I see the situation. 

On some points you are correct...our current style which I would describe as 'robust' doesn't sit well with many of our former Mac players or indeed a newer one,lawrence in my opinion (Mac would have loved him)....gone are the intricate,one touch passes and the instinctive movements that were our trademark......it's wasted on players like that and pretty unnecessary too in grs regime.

Martin's lay offs and movement require an active, fluent midfield to take advantage of it and that's just not our game is it.

I'm not entirely sure what we have gained in some ways though....we are still overly reliant on one striker and our midfield don't contribute to our goals particularly,so we have lost that part of our game......and the downside is our football is worse on the eye and may sit less well in the premiership if we are fortunate enough to achieve it.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

On some points you are correct...our current style which I would describe as 'robust' doesn't sit well with many of our former Mac players or indeed a newer one,lawrence in my opinion (Mac would have loved him)....gone are the intricate,one touch passes and the instinctive movements that were our trademark......it's wasted on players like that and pretty unnecessary too in grs regime.

Martin's lay offs and movement require an active, fluent midfield to take advantage of it and that's just not our game is it.

I'm not entirely sure what we have gained in some ways though....we are still overly reliant on one striker in particular and our midfield don't contribute to our goals particularly,so we have lost that part of our game......and the downside is our football is worse in the eye and may sit less well in the premiership if we are fortunate enough to achieve it.

One thing we have gained is wingers influencing most of our goals now. Being easy on the eye doesn’t necessarily mean winning football..... 

3 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Guy Im not one of the u23 watchers to comment with any degree of knowledge.

From what I've seen,he's got good energy levels to get himself round the pitch,he likes a tackle and is a neat (sometimes inventive) passer of the ball.I also get the impression that he wouldn't be overawed if played (part of the battle) and would probably relish the opportunity.In view of Gary's post match comments re worrying before the game about our energy levels against a robust Sheff U side,I'd actually have given the lad a chance today-cue 'We're 2nd in the table and couldn't gamble on the lad.He might do this,that and the other and lose us the game'. Well,he just might have done a different this,that and the other to help us win the game.Would this have been a bigger gamble than playing a mixture of Bradley,who wasn't 100% fit apparently + Tom and George,who'd both played the full 90 2 days previously?

There again,Gary's the manager of a current top two side,and I'm a mere fan,who's in peril of falling to the bottom of the table after an over indulgence in the old vino.

Mind you,I'd like to see Callum and Luke given a run in the cup,with no pressure (and I hope we really go for it). Been a bit disappointed over comments about Mason recently.Have fans got such short memories that they forget how lively he was looking for us before he got cruelly crocked.

1 minute ago, ramblur said:

From what I've seen,he's got good energy levels to get himself round the pitch,he likes a tackle and is a neat (sometimes inventive) passer of the ball.I also get the impression that he wouldn't be overawed if played (part of the battle) and would probably relish the opportunity.In view of Gary's post match comments re worrying before the game about our energy levels against a robust Sheff U side,I'd actually have given the lad a chance today-cue 'We're 2nd in the table and couldn't gamble on the lad.He might do this,that and the other and lose us the game'. Well,he just might have done a different this,that and the other to help us win the game.Would this have been a bigger gamble than playing a mixture of Bradley,who wasn't 100% fit apparently + Tom and George,who'd both played the full 90 2 days previously?

There again,Gary's the manager of a current top two side,and I'm a mere fan,who's in peril of falling to the bottom of the table after an over indulgence in the old vino.

Mind you,I'd like to see Callum and Luke given a run in the cup,with no pressure (and I hope we really go for it). Been a bit disappointed over comments about Mason recently.Have fans got such short memories that they forget how lively he was looking for us before he got cruelly crocked.

Be good to see them have a run out against man u.....what a platform to perform on.

Watching that Video certainly brings back some fantastic memories.

I class today as a point gained though, in another time we would have lost all three.

We were never on the pace, and towards the end seemed to keep trying to put

balls over the top of their retreating defense to nobody, when we should have been
holding the ball, and picking runners out, however, as somebody pointed out

earlier, the Gods were looking down on us! 

I'm sure we'll be back to normal come the next league match.

I thought apart from the goal we were solid defensively. They took their only clear cut opportunity and I can't remember Carson making any saves I wouldn't expect him to. Don't know what Baird was thinking just letting Clarke walk past him like that for the goal. Johnson's pressing in the build up was poor as well.

You can see why United are such a dangerous side, they attack at pace, pass the ball fast and accurately and have some big players like Donaldson and Clarke. Saying that the only time when I was truly worried when the ball came into the box was for the goal. I thought we held them at arms length for most of the match.

Going forward we stuttered somewhat. Vydra was the most dangerous man on the pitch when he actually had the ball which wasn't often enough. Russell tried hard and did well to win the penalty but again we didn't get the ball out to him enough. the distribution from the defence and holding midfielders wasn't good enough.

Johnson showed again why he isn't a defensive midfielder. I think Rowett got that decision wrong. If Thorne couldn't play then Baird should have moved to midfield and Wisdom kept his place at right back. He's far better on the ball than Johnson and just as good defensively.

Thought a point apiece was the fair result to be honest. A good point as well as today's results showed. One point further away from 3rd place. 

10 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I stand corrected, player receiving treatment doesn’t have to go off if the player who fouled him has been cautioned. Referee was right 

Are you not a ref as well? We’re doomed!

12 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Tempting to use it as a shop window. Bring in shackell anya Olson bent etc.....

Foxtrot Oscar! We should put out a side to compete. It's the FA Cup. Some of us have paid money to watch a game...we can watch the Under 23's for nowt. 

19 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Foxtrot Oscar! We should put out a side to compete. It's the FA Cup. Some of us have paid money to watch a game...we can watch the Under 23's for nowt. 

You bought that ticket in the knowledge that for our last cup game Rowett made numerous changes.

If paying for a ticket gives any right to choose who plays then maybe Mel should make the decision who plays having paid £82,500 towards the tickets? 

Pretty poor from us.

Don't think Sheff Utd are anything special, but they seemed to play up for it and they had a system which countered ours. Disappointingly, Rowett did literally nothing to try and change it.

They played two lumps up top, and got bodies round them for every second ball, and played from there. Made the pitch into mini five-a-side games all over the place, so seemed to out number us in practically every area, and when we closed it out they switched to opposite full-back. Credit to them, with that personnel, it absolutely works and I'm just disappointed Rowett did nothing about it.

Game showed we need another creative player. I'd class Russell and Weimann as similar "kick and rush" type wingers who you can't expect to take the ball under control in a tight area, turn and carry the ball forward. So without Lawrence, and when Vydra went off, we had absolutely no hope of getting forward. Not entirely sure how Nugent remained on the pitch as long as he did, but again, wasn't a good afternoon for Rowett.

Referee was quite appalling throughout, not that is an excuse though.

On a positive note, we got a valuable point when we were second best on a day where two of our closest competitors dropped points. Also thought Curtis Davies had a very good game.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You bought that ticket in the knowledge that for our last cup game Rowett made numerous changes.

If paying for a ticket gives any right to choose who plays then maybe Mel should make the decision who plays having paid £82,500 towards the tickets? 

Yes I agree to an extent but will not accept the club using this as some sort of training fixture.. Just what is the point of bringing in 2 u23s for this game? Or using it to sell players who have no future?  I know that is maybe not the point you are making but I will be pissed big time if we change it up for kids, who won’t then again play for months in the first team. He has said he will make some changes, I expect these to be on the level of Thorne for Johnson etc.

I am lovin how stupid Mark Hughes is looking at the moment. Gave up a game against Chelsea for what? I really hope they go down.

Where does all this stop? League Cup, FA Cup, now League games seem to be on the menu to pick and choose.. It will kill football.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes I agree to an extent but will not accept the club using this as some sort of training fixture.. Just what is the point of bringing in 2 u23s for this game? I know that is maybe not the point you are making but I will be pissed big time if we change it up for kids, who won’t then again play for months in the first team. He has said he will make some changes, I expect these to be on the level of Thorne for Johnson etc.

I am lovin how stupid Mark Hughes is looking at the moment. Gave up a game against Chelsea for what? I really hope they go down.

Where does all this stop? League Cup, FA Cup, now League games seem to be on the menu to pick and choose.. It will kill football.

He didn't give up, his whole back line was injured/banned/ineligible. He had no choice - other than Berahino, which you could argue he spent a fortune on anyway.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Pretty poor from us.

Don't think Sheff Utd are anything special, but they seemed to play up for it and they had a system which countered ours. Disappointingly, Rowett did literally nothing to try and change it.

They played two lumps up top, and got bodies round them for every second ball, and played from there. Made the pitch into mini five-a-side games all over the place, so seemed to out number us in practically every area, and when we closed it out they switched to opposite full-back. Credit to them, with that personnel, it absolutely works and I'm just disappointed Rowett did nothing about it.

Game showed we need another creative player. I'd class Russell and Weimann as similar "kick and rush" type wingers who you can't expect to take the ball under control in a tight area, turn and carry the ball forward. So without Lawrence, and when Vydra went off, we had absolutely no hope of getting forward. Not entirely sure how Nugent remained on the pitch as long as he did, but again, wasn't a good afternoon for Rowett.

Referee was quite appalling throughout, not that is an excuse though.

On a positive note, we got a valuable point when we were second best on a day where two of our closest competitors dropped points. Also thought Curtis Davies had a very good game.

The game went in a similar way to the one at bramble lane with their 5 in midfield and our two, against Sheffield United there is definitely a case for three central midfielders and our current best ones are Huddlestone ledley and Thorne and Johnson in that order - if we ended up playing them in the playoffs then we would have Bryson back if fit and if really desperate Butterfield but I feel we need to balance out that area of the pitch

5 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes I agree to an extent but will not accept the club using this as some sort of training fixture.. Just what is the point of bringing in 2 u23s for this game? Or using it to sell players who have no future?  I know that is maybe not the point you are making but I will be pissed big time if we change it up for kids, who won’t then again play for months in the first team. He has said he will make some changes, I expect these to be on the level of Thorne for Johnson etc.

I am going but if Rowett thinks it is time to put say Thomas in I can easily cope with that

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes I agree to an extent but will not accept the club using this as some sort of training fixture.. Just what is the point of bringing in 2 u23s for this game? I know that is maybe not the point you are making but I will be pissed big time if we change it up for kids, who won’t then again play for months in the first team. He has said he will make some changes, I expect these to be on the level of Thorne for Johnson etc.

I'm far from being a fan of it but realise that the professionals are in a much better position for deciding if players would benefit from a rest or not.

I would agree that there is no point in playing u23s if they are not going to be part of the first team squad going forward this season.

Definitely should be used for resting some players, improving players fitness or getting players in the shop window.

With position GR has got us into now it would be madness to prioritise anything over the league. That being said, we don'the need a crushing defeat that could dent confidence.

It's a tough call!

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

The game went in a similar way to the one at bramble lane with their 5 in midfield and our two, against Sheffield United there is definitely a case for three central midfielders and our current best ones are Huddlestone ledley and Thorne and Johnson in that order - if we ended up playing them in the playoffs then we would have Bryson back if fit and if really desperate Butterfield but I feel we need to balance out that area of the pitch

I'd forget about Bryson. He was done by the end here, and he's not touching Cardiff's team either. Fantastic in his time, but he's done.

As Rowett eluded to a couple of months ago in an interview, and I'm thankful he has recognised it, we lack pace and athleticism through the middle. If we can get a winger in the Ibe mould on loan, and sign a central player with pace and athleticism to cover ground better than we have, then January would be very successful for me.

PistoldPete2

Tbf while people were saying thorne and winnall should have played, when they came on nothing changed at all, we were still outplayed. I think it was just a bad day at the office , hopefully any weaknesses in the squad we can stengthen this month. 

11 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I stand corrected, player receiving treatment doesn’t have to go off if the player who fouled him has been cautioned. Referee was right 

Was about to reply to your previous post until I saw this! 

Knew there was some wiggle room when it came to bad challenges but wasn’t sure of the official wording. 

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

I'd forget about Bryson. He was done by the end here, and he's not touching Cardiff's team either. Fantastic in his time, but he's done.

As Rowett eluded to a couple of months ago in an interview, and I'm thankful he has recognised it, we lack pace and athleticism through the middle. If we can get a winger in the Ibe mould on loan, and sign a central player with pace and athleticism to cover ground better than we have, then January would be very successful for me.

Bryson has been out with an Achilles injury which has contributed to Cardiff fall away

Archived