Derby County F.C. v Sheffield United F.C.

Boycie

Monday, the first day of the new year 2018. 3PM/15.00 hrs.

Well, after the great away win against Ipswich Town on Saturday, what can we expect for the game against The Blades?

We were very unlucky against them at Bramall Lane earlier in the warmer months, a poor clearance by Carson, an own goal by Russell that had us scratching ours heads in the away end, and a third on the break away when we were going for an equaliser after Bryson had scored.  So do we owe them one?

They have that Leon guy up front who’s having the season of his life, and seem to get results by playing a high tempo game with of course Billy Sharpe up front.  Paul Coutts got injured and he seems to have been missed. They’ve had a few dodgy results of late and have just lost at home to Bolton who have picked up a little recently.

So, it’s a localish game for them, I assume they’ll sell out the allocation too.  So lots of dee dah’s around the train station pubs I guess? Plenty of them in the home fans only pub too no doubt, look out for flat caps and whippets, and cries of “how much?”

We have a bit of a run going at home at the moment, but the games are coming thick and fast and maybe that could be a problem, but 5 changes at Ipswich and 3 points kind of makes you a bit more confident.

Anyway, lets attack them and not let them dictate pace or tempo to us. Let’s make their back foot ache for 90 mins.  We are due a totally dominant performance at home with a few goals thrown in for good measure I think, teams in the league are beginning to fear us, let’s frighten the living daylights out the lot of them!

Most of all, let’s get the atmosphere buzzing for the lads!  WHO’S WITH ME!!??

anyway,

whats the word on d’street?

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Monday, the first day of the new year 2018. 3PM/15.00 hrs.

Well, after the great away win against Ipswich Town on Saturday, what can we expect for the game against The Blades?

We were very unlucky against them at Bramall Lane earlier in the warmer months, a poor clearance by Carson, an own goal by Russell that had us scratching ours heads in the away end, and a third on the break away when we were going for an equaliser after Bryson had scored.  So do we owe them one?

They have that Leon guy up front who’s having the season of his life, and seem to get results by playing a high tempo game with of course Billy Sharpe up front.  Paul Coutts got injured and he seems to have been missed. They’ve had a few dodgy results of late and have just lost at home to Bolton who have picked up a little recently.

So, it’s a localish game for them, I assume they’ll sell out the allocation too.  So lots of dee dah’s around the train station pubs I guess? Plenty of them in the home fans only pub too no doubt, look out for flat caps and whippets, and cries of “how much?”

We have a bit of a run going at home at the moment, but the games are coming thick and fast and maybe that could be a problem, but 5 changes at Ipswich and 3 points kind of makes you a bit more confident.

Anyway, lets attack them and not let them dictate pace or tempo to us. Let’s make their back foot ache for 90 mins.  We are due a totally dominant performance at home with a few goals thrown in for good measure I think, teams in the league are beginning to fear us, let’s frighten the living daylights out the lot of them!

Most of all, let’s get the atmosphere buzzing for the lads!  WHO’S WITH ME!!??

anyway,

whats the word on d’street?

Billy Sharpe is a poor mans Nugent. The blunts want to properly gauge themselves against us. They were lucky early in the season. Winnall will sort this one for us. Keogh will be solid again. 

Win this and we're 10 points ahead of them, with only 20 games left. Maintain our 2+ points a game and it's simply not possible for them to catch us.

Lose and that gap is down to 4, with everything to play for as we fall back into the chasing pack. Every game is a cup final now. but this game is a 6-pointer.

I know (and like that) Gary agonizes over team selection and when to rotate. We made 5 changes for Ipswich and carried the day and that should give him confidence to be a little less conservative, so we don't have those games too far when we've clearly run out of steam. He needs to use the huge squad at his disposal and ring the changes again. Most importantly, despite his brilliance, Thorne can't yet play 2 games in 3 days and needs to drop to the bench, with a word in his ear that he'll be first choice for a while now if he maintains his form. We need him in the run-in and cannot risk him for this single game. If Ledley is still out for Monday, the obvious solution is to keep Wisdom at right back and bring in Baird as a defensive midfielder.

The hardest decision for Rowett will be which 2 from Vydra, Nugent, Winnell and Martin. It's a tough call but it's a great position to be in to have these options, especially when we see Bristol City playing a centre half up front today. Going into this game in second place, I trust Rowett to make the right call and have the players backing him, whether they're in the starting 11 or are the "finishers" to come on as the game progesses.

Brilliant to have another game so soon. Let's be relentless again in this run. Come on you Rams!

55 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Win this and we're 10 points ahead of them, with only 20 games left. Maintain our 2+ points a game and it's simply not possible for them to catch us.

Lose and that gap is down to 4, with everything to play for as we fall back into the chasing pack. Every game is a cup final now. but this game is a 6-pointer.

I know (and like that) Gary agonizes over team selection and when to rotate. We made 5 changes for Ipswich and carried the day and that should give him confidence to be a little less conservative, so we don't have those games too far when we've clearly run out of steam. He needs to use the huge squad at his disposal and ring the changes again. Most importantly, despite his brilliance, Thorne can't yet play 2 games in 3 days and needs to drop to the bench, with a word in his ear that he'll be first choice for a while now if he maintains his form. We need him in the run-in and cannot risk him for this single game. If Ledley is still out for Monday, the obvious solution is to keep Wisdom at right back and bring in Baird as a defensive midfielder.

The hardest decision for Rowett will be which 2 from Vydra, Nugent, Winnell and Martin. It's a tough call but it's a great position to be in to have these options, especially when we see Bristol City playing a centre half up front today. Going into this game in second place, I trust Rowett to make the right call and have the players backing him, whether they're in the starting 11 or are the "finishers" to come on as the game progesses.

Brilliant to have another game so soon. Let's be relentless again in this run. Come on you Rams!

Spot on 

Live in Sheffield, really can't deal with the stick I'll get if we lose this one. The Blades have really been tailing off though, recently and I suspect they'll fade away as the season goes, they didn't spend much money and are lacking in squad depth. Really important game though, first home game of 2018, set us off again on the right foot, and then we have the luxury of a few without Championship football as a time to recover, whilst we have the trip to Old Trafford. 

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Very good post. I too feel the Ipswich game will see a change in Gary’s mindset regarding selections. He has been reluctant to make changes and with the results we are getting, nobody can criticise him for sticking with a winning formula. But to produce the football we did, especially  in the first 45 mins yesterday with 5 changes. Will give him the confidence to use the squad more. I truly believe this will prove priceless, especially on the run in, when teams with lesser squads start to fall by the wayside as injuries and suspensions take their toll 

4 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Might see weimann back in for Lawrence. I'd like to see George and Hudds start together again at home. Big question is who to start out of Martin, winall, Vydra and nuge.

Reckon the front 4 will be the same, GR made a point of how that 4 blew away the opposition at Ipswich. I'd assume therefore that the same front 4 should start again 

15 hours ago, Gritters said:

Billy Sharpe is a poor mans Nugent. The blunts want to properly gauge themselves against us. They were lucky early in the season. Winnall will sort this one for us. Keogh will be solid again. 

Read this on a Sheff Utd forum, cant see it myself.

Nugent and Sharp are nothing like each other.

oh and its Sharp.

Sharpe, was a dodgy period war drama with Sean Bean.

Just now, RamLad1884 said:

Reckon the front 4 will be the same, GR made a point of how that 4 blew away the opposition at Ipswich. I'd assume therefore that the same front 4 should start again 

My only concern was Lawrence taking a knock on that ankle again whether nuge might come back in for winnall.

Weimann will be back in for Lawrence (or possibly Russell if Bradley is still out)

I expect Baird to come back in for Wisdom also.

Thorne will only play 2 games in 2 days, if Ledley remains out with injury.

Hardest decision is whether or not to recall Nugent or stick with Winnall.

Both strikers got 2 goals the last time they started a game

Archived