New Year...hopes?..

Chester40

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that we're so close to top 2 (plus Cardiff losing tonight & Wolves v Bristol City tomorrow), it seems bizarre to hope for anything other than top 2. I'm desperate for us to return to the top flight & it looks like things are starting to open up for us.

That said, we're riding the crest of a wave at the minute & I'm certain that a run of indifferent results is coming - its unrealistic to expect us to keep winning every week, especially in this division. I'm also not certain the team is 'there' yet despite the results - performances are definitely better than Sep/Oct time but I think we've still got some issues - not enough pace or energy in midfield or quality/guile out wide and too much deadweight in the squad in general. Also think teams will start to set up differently against us, negating the counter attacking that has been so effective - that isn't going to suit our current central midfield pairing.

My 'hope' is that whatever happens, we don't drop out of the top 6 this season & fans are patient enough to accept that automatic promotion may be next season's achievement. I want stability for the club more than anything else - that allied to the resources we have will ultimately bring success.

Got to be 2nd at worse - for the first time in many many years we need to step up when it really matters and take advantage of slip ups by teams like Cardiff..lets see what happens tomorrow - are we just another team of Derby chokers or are we potentially the real deal....

10 hours ago, ram1964 said:

After a mediocre start the team continues to improve,mentally,physically whilst gradually developing as a team playing better football. Why arent we capable of 2 nd plaice ?I dont believe Cardiff,Bristol city,leeds have any a better squad than ourselves. Second plaice is achievable for us and to lower our sights whilst in our present position shows real lack of ambition. Personally not desperate to see new signings as the present squad are doing the business ,a good competition for plaices with GT back to strength,Vydra,Nugent,Martin as good as any in this division and Carson probably a top ten keeper in the country,with the likes of Keogh in front of him we appear to have a talented united resilient team equal if not better than most.

Sounds a bit fishy. Let's hope we keep hitting the net. :mellow:

10 hours ago, ram1964 said:

After a mediocre start the team continues to improve,mentally,physically whilst gradually developing as a team playing better football. Why arent we capable of 2 nd plaice ?I dont believe Cardiff,Bristol city,leeds have any a better squad than ourselves. Second plaice is achievable for us and to lower our sights whilst in our present position shows real lack of ambition. Personally not desperate to see new signings as the present squad are doing the business ,a good competition for plaices with GT back to strength,Vydra,Nugent,Martin as good as any in this division and Carson probably a top ten keeper in the country,with the likes of Keogh in front of him we appear to have a talented united resilient team equal if not better than most.

I found this a bit fishy also! ?

10 hours ago, Yani P said:

Got to be 2nd at worse - for the first time in many many years we need to step up when it really matters and take advantage of slip ups by teams like Cardiff..lets see what happens tomorrow - are we just another team of Derby chokers or are we potentially the real deal....

I totally agree with you Yani P. I reckon GR will have them aiming for the top. There are loads of games left and I think Wolves will wobble at some point. Hopefully they'll lose 3 in a row like Cardiff :thumbsup:. Time will tell whether we can capitalise on it of course.

Not so much afraid of Bristol or Cardiff anymore. I think Pulis going to Boro is one of the worst things that could have happened to us this season. He will get them solid at the back and they have enough firepower to blow most teams away in this league. I think ultimately, they're the ones who are going to prove to be our main challengers for second. 

My hopes like a few others are for 2nd spot, why not as we are so close, Bristol City look our chief threat, the game against them at home could be a massive momentum shift for either side in time.

Realistically, I’d also be happy for top 6, though slightly disappointed if we marginally dip out to say Bristol, I’m sure on calm reflection, like most, it would be seen as an admirable achievement going into the season and after the start.

Today could prove tricky but then I expect 3 points against the Blades, as they are nothing to be feared at home. Hopefully we lose none of our key players in the transfer window or to injury. The likes of Carson, Keogh, Vydra are musts for me if we want promotion, the along with any 2 from 3 CDM’s that can play there, we at least get us in the play offs; losing those 3 could unravel us in my opinion.

Everything to look forward to, it’s exciting again, I’m confident we can sustain it, even if we have the odd defeat, simply because I don’t see a Rowett team lacking battle or belief to bounce back from adversity.

C.O.Y.R let’s do it this season.

45 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Not so much afraid of Bristol or Cardiff anymore. I think Pulis going to Boro is one of the worst things that could have happened to us this season. He will get them solid at the back and they have enough firepower to blow most teams away in this league. I think ultimately, they're the ones who are going to prove to be our main challengers for second. 

Just like us then! - one area of interest with Pulis will be that fact that he hasn’t managed in the championship for a long time which might make no difference or it might take him by surprise 

48 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Not sure I agree with that. Yes Pulis will tighten their defence but he does it at the expense of attacking play, just as he did at Stoke and West Brom so I wouldn't assume that they will be as potent as some people think.

For me the main competition for a top 2 place will come from Bristol C and though it hurts me to say it, Leeds.

Pfft, Pulis Schmulis, if we take care of what we can control, ie our own fixtures, anything he does at Boro will be immaterial.

I just hope there is a growing belief among the coaching staff and players we can actually achieve automatic promotion given our very healthy position today. There is a time for caution but this is not it, fortune favours the brave and all that.

I think all our dropped points this season we have contributed to for different reasons, nobody has been too good for us and we have nothing to fear from any team in this division. Believe chaps.

Also, I hope @eddie ends his forum sabbatical. 

I want 2nd spot , I always feel more nervous the closer to the top we are, hopefully the experience in the team will mean the players don't suffer the same nerves.

I'm scarred by the playoff games against Leicester and QPR (I'd been standing and singing all game against QPR but slumped in my seat utterly deflated when the ball hit the net only getting back to my feet to scurry to the off licence for emergancy beer) and don't want to do it again. Athough West Brom was fun it was followed by that season.

Bristol worry me, they are the team everyone thinks will run out of steam but never do, but we'll finish above Cardiff.

Pulis has to prove himself, it's a long time since he managed in the Championship, and he has always managed underdog teams. There are great expectations at Middlesbrough and his style of play won't get any plaudits him if the results don't come

We could do with a bit of arrogance in the team. 

I remember the play off game v preston at home when nugent (for them) started doing keepy uppy which enraged us and gave them a huge lift. We're missing a bit of that. Igor had it. Mackay and McFarland had it too.

Archived