Billy Davies

RamNut

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He looked well. Kept a low profile.

very interested in the game. on the edge of his seat. Leaning forward to take an interest. Scribbling notes in a book at times.

waved and smiled on the way out.

he was quiet and respectful tbh. 

Perhaps he's trying to keep in touch with the championship. We often see managers who are putting themselves in the shop window e.g. Malky mackay and steve evans; tony pulis when he was out of work. 

Perhaps he has his eye on the Bolton or Hull jobs.

6 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

And then when you actually analyze the signings..

Earnshaw was top scorer in the division, scored goals everywhere he went in his career

Mears is the best full back we have had at the club since Mel Sage

Todd was exactly what we needed a tough center half, didn't work out because Jewell dumped him out of the squad

Davis was excellent for Preston and Sheff United before coming to us and excellent for Palace after us too

Miller scored lots of goals everywhere he went in his career

The rest were free or almost free.

Like someone has said these were the signings that King Billy made but may not have been the signings that King Billy wanted.

Should never have sacked him, but when we did we went for totally the wrong person. If we hadn't ended up with the points total we did in the top league and Billy hadn't gone to Forest then no one would be spouting abuse at him. It really smacks of tin pot fans to me.

I don’t mind analysis but you’re basically saying they were all good players. If the odd one turned out to be duff fair doo’s. Them all? Nah. The worst transfer window in this football clubs history, from a manager who had resigned to relegation 4 games in. 

A nightmare concoction from a guy who will be remembered not for being the most successful Derby County manager over these two decades but for being the manager who assembled and sent Derby County on their way to about 3 million unwanted records that will never be beaten. 

If you can see past all that, the b******* at Wembley on the pitch etc then fair play but he’s not for me and never will be. 

6 hours ago, therams69 said:

If you read the original post from Muespach .......... Which I am sure you did, you will see he was referring to the fact that he is in fact the last manager to have got us promoted. That was the point. And 19 other managers since have failed.

Why you then proceed to copy and paste our transfer dealings from the following season god only knows but wasn't the point that was being made. Which if you want to discuss that then yes of course, it aint good reading is it!! That being said, it was covered in another thread about our Billy. He didn't get his top targets due to the board not getting them, or unwilling to get them due to selling, whatever way you want to look at it you cant put the full blame on Billy.

And also the other 'facts' about winning and seeing mentality etc. Did we stop judging him on that as soon as we were promoted? Yes he got us promoted, great achievement indeed. What he then did next negates that fact IMO though, anybody with eyes will probably agree. 

It wouldn't surprise me if theres Derby fans out there that are more fond of Nigel Clough's tenure than Billy's which tells you all you need to know about the king. 

No Mr Tibbs but my point was the discussion was about the last manager to get us promoted and nothing more. The year after has been well documented on another thread.

I disagree with the opinion with what followed next ruining the achievement. We should always remember the good times as opposed to the bad times. Everyone has bad times at some point but why focus on that.

For example. Leicester winning the league with Ranieri. Didn't work the next season and he got sacked. Do you think that ruins his achievements of winning the top division?

Or what about Roberto Matinez winning the FA Cup with Wigan. They got relegated the same season. Will they look down on that achievement because they got relegated. Doubt it! They are playing league 1 football now.

I could go on and on giving more examples but pointless.

The fact is Billy Davies was the last manager to get us promoted. 19 other managers since have failed in over 10 years.

22 minutes ago, Alpha said:

You weigh up a manager's reign. The position he took the club from and the position he left them.

Why focus on 1 season?

There's so many variables.

So from near the bottom of the championship to bottom of the prem. Not bad i say.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

You weigh up a manager's reign. The position he took the club from and the position he left them.

Why focus on 1 season?

There's so many variables.

Ok, lets do that then.....he took over and we were 20th in the Championship (I think I am right on this) and when he was sacked we were in the Premiership...whatever way you look at it that is a massive improvement...

Archived