Billy Davies

RamNut

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Heaven forbid our manager should be arrogant and outspoken and a winner that made a few great signings and a few dodgy ones...because that sort of personality never goes down well or wins anything cough, Brian Clough, cough....

Not sure you can compare Clough with Davies. Clough's arrogance was mixed with honesty and a bit of playfulness. Davies just comes across as bitter. I don't hate him but I do think he's ruined his own legacy.

Haven't watched the interview, but I'm guessing it's along the lines of -

"Billy Davis would've done better, if Billy Davis was given XYZ"

"Billy Davis loved being here"

"Billy Davis is an excellent manager.  Billy Davis' failures are due to incompetent chairmen/groundsmen/ball boys"

"Billy Davis will be back.  Mark Billy Davis' words"

Really interesting interview. Whatever your thoughts about his polarising behaviour, he's still a very compelling character. Like a villain from a Derby soap opera. 

Personally I feel fairly indifferent to him. He was (and probably still is) an excellent championship manager, but I do believe he has reaped what he sowed with his attitude at Derby and (subsequently) Forest. 

In many ways, he reminds me of my old boss. She always talked a very (very) good game – knew exactly what to say in meetings to get what she wanted from you.

Ultimately, as time went on you began to realise it was very much about what she wanted and rarely what you wanted. She was only really in it for herself. In fact, in my last few meetings with her, my BS detector was so overworked it was in danger of burn out! 

I see shades of it in Billy D during his media appearances. And that style of management can be very good for getting your underlings to perform. But I imagine older, more senior members of staff (especially at board level) would get wise to it very quickly. And would ultimately find it manipulative, selfish and unpleasant to deal with. 

49 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Haven't watched the interview, but I'm guessing it's along the lines of -

"Billy Davis would've done better, if Billy Davis was given XYZ"

"Billy Davis loved being here"

"Billy Davis is an excellent manager.  Billy Davis' failures are due to incompetent chairmen/groundsmen/ball boys"

"Billy Davis will be back.  Mark Billy Davis' words"

Exactly “haven’t watched the interview”

maybe you should.....or maybe not as you have already made up your mind about him....ever done jury service.?

On 11/29/2017 at 15:15, MuespachRam said:

And then when you actually analyze the signings..

Earnshaw was top scorer in the division, scored goals everywhere he went in his career

Mears is the best full back we have had at the club since Mel Sage

Todd was exactly what we needed a tough center half, didn't work out because Jewell dumped him out of the squad

Davis was excellent for Preston and Sheff United before coming to us and excellent for Palace after us too

Miller scored lots of goals everywhere he went in his career

The rest were free or almost free.

Like someone has said these were the signings that King Billy made but may not have been the signings that King Billy wanted.

Should never have sacked him, but when we did we went for totally the wrong person. If we hadn't ended up with the points total we did in the top league and Billy hadn't gone to Forest then no one would be spouting abuse at him. It really smacks of tin pot fans to me.

big assumption.  I hate the *******, deserved to be sacked and Florist having nothing to do with it

11 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Credit to him for getting us promoted but in hindsight and taking a holistic view of his overall tenure as Derby manager I'd say it was more damaging than it was productive

His tenure was damaging? I would say that the 3 changes of ownership of the club within 2 years is what did the damage!

3 amigos > league of gentleman > Pearson > GSE

4 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Still doesn't change the fact he is a selfish, egotistical human being. Hogging the spotlight with his own crusade of personal agendas instead of celebrating the club's incredible achievement of promotion. He thought he was bigger than the club

not sure this is fair in anway, certainly the assumption he was on a crusade.

He took a tiny squad, added a spine on a modest budget, without an assistant manager or many coaching staff, with some average players, gained promotion, having has us top 2 somehow! Yet it was somehow a personal crusade?

Name any successful manager who isn't selfish or egotistical. Seriously, name me one. You can't. It's a trait of success. Why single him out for criticism? You either want a nice guy OR success. You don't get both.

1 minute ago, Moist One said:

not sure this is fair in anway, certainly the assumption he was on a crusade.

He took a tiny squad, added a spine on a modest budget, without an assistant manager or many coaching staff, with some average players, gained promotion, having has us top 2 somehow! Yet it was somehow a personal crusade?

Name any successful manager who isn't selfish or egotistical. Seriously, name me one. You can't. It's a trait of success. Why single him out for criticism? You either want a nice guy OR success. You don't get both.

I don’t know why he gets criticised  because he did well for Derby .

I think it’s  the Forest connection myself. 

1 minute ago, jimbobram said:

Agreed. I wonder if Nigeel will get the same hatred for when he inevitably goes to the reds

Doubt it. 

I always found Billy Davies very amenable when I spoke to him. 

Was at Morley Hayes on the next table the day he signed Byewater. 

11 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Heaven forbid our manager should be arrogant and outspoken and a winner that made a few great signings and a few dodgy ones...because that sort of personality never goes down well or wins anything cough, Brian Clough, cough....

Thought he came across ok to be fair ,problem with Billy was he thought he was BC mk.2 and than he ain't 

On 29/11/2017 at 14:32, Woodley Ram said:

You are Billy in disguise....oh yes you are....Billy in disguise 

On 29/11/2017 at 13:31, RoyMac5 said:

However they're the only ones who would sign for us, not necessarily the ones Billy really wanted!

If he hadn't scrapped the reserve team on his third day in the job He may have just might not have needed to sign all that dross He did exactly the same on his first stint at Forest 

Just watched the interview and absolutely no surprises - I think I could have scripted what Davies said beforehand and wouldn't have been far off the mark.

No doubt in my mind that he delivered a promotion which probably most fans at the time didn't expect and with a squad which, in my opinion was, talent-wise, inferior to squads we have had since. With that success on his cv you would expect him to be remembered with fond memories by the majority of supporters - the fact that he isn't speaks volumes for his comments and actions following that day in Wembley.

When being interviewed, Davies is so clever at avoiding awkward questions - he sidetracks the interviewer and leads them down blind alleys. I was particularly interested in the 'alleged' rumour of a takeover which he claimed to have heard and despite Colin Gibsons' best efforts to drag an answer from him, Davies failed to give any details which could corroborate his claim.

I can't help but feel that there was an ulterior motive on his part to do the interview. In view of his failure to secure any sort of managerial position since leaving Forest, maybe he saw this as an ideal opportunity to put himself back in the shop window, make sure that chairmen of struggling clubs were aware that he was still around and available - who knows?

One final point - where was Ned Kelly? It was like Tweedledum without Tweedledee.

Archived