Billy Davies

RamNut

44 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That's not fair to @MuespachRam , even he knows Billy Davies is a knob, just argues he was a very effective one.

Think what you like about him but he was the most successful manager in the last 17 years and did what 19 other managers have failed to do in this time frame, got us promoted. (i know that that figure includes jokers who were only managing for a week etc but it is funny)

I genuinely liked him, I liked his style of football, I liked his siege mentality and I liked winning every week.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Think what you like about him but he was the most successful manager in the last 17 years and did what 19 other managers have failed to do in this time frame, got us promoted. (i know that that figure includes jokers who were only managing for a week etc but it is funny)

I genuinely liked him, I liked his style of football, I liked his siege mentality and I liked winning every week.

What?  How?

3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

What?  How?

There is nothing better in football than going to an away game and doing exactly what Ipswich did tonight, score then sit back and defend and frustrate, its the best

and don't forget Billys team did that regularly as well as smashing a lot of teams all over the place....it was great.

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

There is nothing better in football than going to an away game and doing exactly what Ipswich did tonight, score then sit back and defend and frustrate, its the best

and don't forget Billys team did that regularly as well as smashing a lot of teams all over the place....it was great.

Well I understand that frequently winning games was a great feeling, but I never liked the style of football myself, just the results. However, it was effective in the Championship. No doubting that.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

My suspicion is he's a very ill guy. Perhaps the club was trying to do a generous and nice thing by having him at the ground. Even if I wish he'd gone to Preston instead. 

No-one from the club paid him any attention.

We played better football under BD

steve howard was a good player. Oakley did well. He started with a squad full of holes. 

Unfortunately the majority of his signings weren't very good - bob malcolm, mo camara, jay mceverley, dean leacock, craig fagan, gary teale, ryan smith, jon macken, tyrone mears, steven bywater, benny feilhaber, eddie lewis, andy todd, claude davis, robert earnshaw, kenny miller.....

10 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Facts don't like.

Fab post.

57 minutes ago, therams69 said:

Facts don't like.

You're right.

Derby County season 07/08

Summer 2007 transfer window

29 June 2007 – Robert Earnshaw – £3.5m, from Norwich City[32]

4 July 2007 – Tyrone Mears – £1m, from West Ham United[33]

7 July 2007 – Andy Todd – £750k, from Blackburn Rovers[34]

10 July 2007 – Ben Hinchliffe – free transfer[35]

25 July 2007 – Claude Davis – £3m, from Sheffield United[36]

26 July 2007 – Lewis Price – undisclosed, from Ipswich Town[37]

1 August 2007 – Andy Griffin – free transfer from Portsmouth[38]

10 August 2007 – Benny Feilhaber – undisclosed, from Hamburg[39]

20 August 2007 – Eddie Lewis – undisclosed, from Leeds United[40]

31 August 2007 – Kenny Miller – £2.25m, from Celtic[41]

Cheers Billy, you didn't have a f****** clue. 

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

You're right.

Looking at that lot it shows that Eddie Lewis was about the best signing with Kenny Miller a close second ( let’s not complain about what we see currently)

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Looking at that lot it shows that Eddie Lewis was about the best signing with Kenny Miller a close second ( let’s not complain about what we see currently)

However they're the only ones who would sign for us, not necessarily the ones Billy really wanted!

2 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

You're right.

And then when you actually analyze the signings..

Earnshaw was top scorer in the division, scored goals everywhere he went in his career

Mears is the best full back we have had at the club since Mel Sage

Todd was exactly what we needed a tough center half, didn't work out because Jewell dumped him out of the squad

Davis was excellent for Preston and Sheff United before coming to us and excellent for Palace after us too

Miller scored lots of goals everywhere he went in his career

The rest were free or almost free.

Like someone has said these were the signings that King Billy made but may not have been the signings that King Billy wanted.

Should never have sacked him, but when we did we went for totally the wrong person. If we hadn't ended up with the points total we did in the top league and Billy hadn't gone to Forest then no one would be spouting abuse at him. It really smacks of tin pot fans to me.

15 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

And then when you actually analyze the signings..

Earnshaw was top scorer in the division, scored goals everywhere he went in his career

Mears is the best full back we have had at the club since Mel Sage

Todd was exactly what we needed a tough center half, didn't work out because Jewell dumped him out of the squad

Davis was excellent for Preston and Sheff United before coming to us and excellent for Palace after us too

Miller scored lots of goals everywhere he went in his career

The rest were free or almost free.

Like someone has said these were the signings that King Billy made but may not have been the signings that King Billy wanted.

Should never have sacked him, but when we did we went for totally the wrong person. If we hadn't ended up with the points total we did in the top league and Billy hadn't gone to Forest then no one would be spouting abuse at him. It really smacks of tin pot fans to me.

You are Billy in disguise....oh yes you are....Billy in disguise 

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

No-one from the club paid him any attention.

Perhaps not during the game itself, but behind the scenes who knows? And they gave someone with an acrimonious and bitter past relationship with the club a seat in the Directors' Box, which seems pretty generous to me.

3 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

You're right.

If you read the original post from Muespach .......... Which I am sure you did, you will see he was referring to the fact that he is in fact the last manager to have got us promoted. That was the point. And 19 other managers since have failed.

Why you then proceed to copy and paste our transfer dealings from the following season god only knows but wasn't the point that was being made. Which if you want to discuss that then yes of course, it aint good reading is it!! That being said, it was covered in another thread about our Billy. He didn't get his top targets due to the board not getting them, or unwilling to get them due to selling, whatever way you want to look at it you cant put the full blame on Billy.

Archived