October 16th 1973

RamNut

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its a long time ago RamNut, won't mean anything to fans born after 1970.

There will always be a tiny thought in the back of my mind what the history of DCFC and NFFC would like now if he'd of stayed.....

I'm sure it would have been us winning those European cups and more.

Mind you,I hadn't done nffc much good lately I suppose.

Would have been brilliant wouldn't it though.

14 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm sure it would have been us winning those European cups and more.

Mind you,I hadn't done nffc much good lately I suppose.

Would have been brilliant wouldn't it though.

Nah mate, we'd have ended up like Man Yoo fans expecting to win everything every year....

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Worst day in the history of the club.

amazing that it passed pretty much without comment a day after the Forest match.

As a club we so often snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but never was there a worse example. Devastated at the time. Never really got over it. For a few years I expected them both to come back, and everything would be all right again. But as the years went on, the hope slipped away. What a terrible waste...

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

As a club we so often snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but never was there a worse example. Devastated at the time. Never really got over it. For a few years I expected them both to come back, and everything would be all right again. But as the years went on, the hope slipped away. What a terrible waste...

They are back now. Statuesque.

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I wouldn't have been a Derby fan. All the glory hunters at skool would have been.

Seriously, if it hadn't been for Cloughie and, as an impressionable 9 year old in County Durham, I really wouldn't have become and remained a Rams fan. His legacy and the subsequent triumph with Dave Mackay, left me scarred for life!

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Exactly how I felt ,used to go out in Notts all the time ,blanked everthing out pretended it wasn't happening .

12 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Seriously, if it hadn't been for Cloughie and, as an impressionable 9 year old in County Durham, I really wouldn't have become and remained a Rams fan. His legacy and the subsequent triumph with Dave Mackay, left me scarred for life!

got to blame somebody I suppose:D most of us are here for genetic reasons!

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its a long time ago RamNut, won't mean anything to fans born after 1970.

There will always be a tiny thought in the back of my mind what the history of DCFC and NFFC would be like now if he'd of stayed.....

I was born in 1985 - But I know my history - Maybe not the exact dates but as soon as I saw 1973 I had an inkling what this would be about

My old man maintains that we'd be an established top-end Premier League side if he'd stayed - Thinks a legacy would have been built over 20 years which would have won us more titles and solidified us as one of the big boys by the time the Premier League landed - Has always maintained we have the most potential out of the 3 East Midlands clubs (Leicester have too much rugby and Nottingham has two clubs and only has a history because of Cloughie anyway) - Has always said the East Midlands has space for a genuinely big club and thinks it would have been us had we not lost the master

May be wishful thinking and personally I think that's a thoroughly depressing thought with where we are now

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I was born in 1985 - But I know my history - Maybe not the exact dates but as soon as I saw 1973 I had an inkling what this would be about

My old man maintains that we'd be an established top-end Premier League side if he'd stayed - Thinks a legacy would have been built over 20 years which would have won us more titles and solidified us as one of the big boys by the time the Premier League landed - Has always maintained we have the most potential out of the 3 East Midlands clubs (Leicester have too much rugby and Nottingham has two clubs and only has a history because of Cloughie anyway) - Has always said the East Midlands has space for a genuinely big club and thinks it would have been us had we not lost the master

May be wishful thinking and personally I think that's a thoroughly depressing thought with where we are now

In the documentary shown on Sky last week Clough said the same thing. 

Said the team was better than Forests and we would have gone on to dominate the way Liverpool did in the 80s.

Who knows where we would be now?

Of course we had another good chance to put ourselves amongst the big boys in the late 80s but, once again, a chairman had other ideas!

Archived