Does entertainment/style of play really matter?

Mafiabob

Entertainment/Style  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to see us not survive in the Premier League but compete in the best league in the world.

The more seasons that pass without us up there, the harder it will get as the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

If it's possible to win and entertain of course we would all take that, but if you're going to push me on a entertain or win, I will have to take win right now. Clocks ticking. 

Some claim to be content and happy with life in the Championship as long as we're entertaining, I can't, and this isn't being disrespectful to the likes of Watford, Leicester, Bournemouth but it's hard seeing clubs of similar sizes enjoying life up there as we look ahead to games v Millwall and Burton.

I do think the combination of winning and entertaining is achieved by very few clubs season on season, we've had our moments don't get me wrong but we're far from being a club that has enjoyed long spells.

13/14 is gone, as are key components of that side, time to move on and see where this chapter takes us now. 

Winning football will do if it gives GR the time needed to build the team he wants.

Once he has had a couple more transfer windows and managed to build a team that he can call his own, It would be nice to see some good football to go with the wins.

I personally feel the brand of football we are playing at the moment is worse than even Clough played, and we're inconsistent. A couple of teams have made us look like mugs.

Having said that, might be that the team is readjusting. This is quite a different team compared to last year, so I'm hopeful we'll find a bit of consistency.

It's bloody awful to watch though.

This point should be put to Mr Mourinho I am pretty sure his answer would be play to win and if you win with style great but first off make sure you do not lose.

The football at the moment may not be great but if you are winning no matter how you will fill your ground.

I think entertainment is important.

But I'm not sure I understand the issue with Rowett's philosophy too much (granted I wasn't at Brentford, Bristol, Sheffield United etc). What he wants is I don't think a million miles off what we had under Mac. That was never possession for possession's sake, it was quick football through the lines high tempo. We had the players to suit that perfectly, at the minute we don't quite have that for what Rowett wants. I also accept he has sold some players capable of that, I would imagine if you asked him now in private he might just say he regrets a couple of decisions he's made.

Yesterday I think showed a bit that fans don't really know what they want. At times Keogh, Davies and Huddlestone were passing between them trying to draw Forest out a little, there were groans. Then we'd try and be a bit direct or Vydra would take a risk on the ball, there were groans. Either is fine, it's about being unpredictable for me and I think we are getting there.

I was bored stiff of Clement for what it's worth, I remember thinking his sacking was daft/stupid but looking back the football really was terrible.

Win all day. It would be nice to watch us play exciting football and have other teams revel over our style, but if we can't get out of this division by doing that, then what's the point?

Promotion will put us in the top 40 richest clubs in the world. That's more important to our club than attractive football. If you're winning games, the people will still come to watch. There's criticism of managers like Pulis and Allardyce who play effective, not attractive football but consistently get results. Fans of teams like WBA may complain at times, but if they sacked Pulis, got in a manager who tried to play fast, attacking football and then got relegated, would they be satisfied that at least attractive football was being played?

As a football fan, there's no better feeling than winning a game. The feeling you get when the final whistle goes and the three points are secured is a better feeling than losing 2-1 at home to Wigan by trying to play attacking, attractive football.

It's a tough question because ultimately we all want both. Gotta ask yourself how many times do you walk away from a game saying "Wow that was entertaining" when we haven't won. You're normally pissed off that we haven't won or at least that's how I feel. You have to be careful how far you take the wanting to be entertained. Take my home town team Blackburn. They are a classic case of this. A lot of their fans won't admit this now but when Sam Allardyce was their manager a fair majority were calling for him to be replaced with a more entertaining manager. He was performing miracles really with a small town club punching above their weight. Look were they are now. What I'm trying to say is be careful what you wish for. I'm no Rowett apologist but the last two results are small steps in the right direction. Let's hope better times are just around the corner.

40 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Seen a few on here, not happy with the way we play..... 

Would you rather be us entertaining?

Would you rather us play to win?

Of course both can go hand in hand at times, but I say a lot of the time, unless you're Man Citeh, Real Madrid, PSG or Barcelona..... you're not going to get it.

We are a second tier football team, we are not going to be playing amazing, enthralling football a lot. Nothing wrong to aspire to get to the likes of the teams I mentioned above (unless according to some you're not allowed if your name is Cryus Christie).

Yesterday was game management to the tea..... especially in the second half. A lot of criticism of Gary and the way we obsess about formations and style of play..... but I'd rather see a game out like that yesterday instead of taking a risk 2-0 up and misplace a risky pass and concede. They'd be uproar if that happened.....

Give me winning football games over style of play anytime.

Dont have to be pretty to win games.... it's nice, but not necessary..... Forest case in point.

The problem in this discussion is it presumes the two are mutually exclusive whereas clubs such as Southampton, Swansea and Bournemouth have demonstrably shown that to be incorrect. 

The unfortunate blunt truth is it is extremely unlikely that we will ever compete for highest in the premier and our ceiling is likely being a top half premiership team. So surely the journey becomes more important than the destination ? 

I'd rather us spending time trying to copy the likes of Southampton, i.e.  develop a style of play and footballing culture at the club, recruit to fit that vision (playing staff and manager) and have youngsters grow in that culture. Because I think it's the best plan for long term success and I think as a part of this we can develop an attractive style of play.

Give me the 13/14 season over the 06/07 season every day of the week.

Don’t mind the style when it’s effective. My issues with the first half was that we looked nowhere close to actually executing the tactics rowett set out. We looked so weak. No bite at all. Must have had a kick up the arse in the second half because all of a sudden the intent was there and you see patterns of play developing. As a spectator there’s nothing better than seeing your team playing well - and that means watching effective football and well executed tactics, not necessarily beautiful tika-taka. 

1 minute ago, cosmic said:

Don’t mind the style when it’s effective. My issues with the first half was that we looked nowhere close to actually executing the tactics rowett set out. We looked so weak. No bite at all. Must have had a kick up the arse in the second half because all of a sudden the intent was there and you see patterns of play developing. As a spectator there’s nothing better than seeing your team playing well - and that means watching effective football and well executed tactics, not necessarily beautiful tika-taka. 

I think yesterday we scored goals at the right time (yes I know anytime is the right time to score). We had a dreadful first half on the whole but stuck in a second before they could come at us post halftime. They played some nice football and we were lucky/defended well to stop them, but against a better team I can't see us getting away with playing like that.

So I agree effective is important. Wins will mostly stop the fans complaints however we play. If we are going for win at all costs then I don't get why we chose Rowett.

I prefer Entertaining football to boring "win at any cost" play.

If I just wanted play to win I only have to think of the Leeds machine or boring boring Arsenal in the 70s.

I remember the Liverpools, Man Uniteds and Tottenhams at the BBG as entertaining.

OK that 5-0 win v Bob Wilson was a treat but it wasn't as much fun as the Boxing day 4-4 vs George Best.

Premiership games are boring survival struggles at best (or worst). Championship games are real competitive football!

I support the Rams...an entertaining team who enjoy football.........and winning of course!

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think yesterday we scored goals at the right time (yes I know anytime is the right time to score). We had a dreadful first half on the whole but stuck in a second before they could come at us post halftime. They played some nice football and we were lucky/defended well to stop them, but against a better team I can't see us getting away with playing like that.

So I agree effective is important. Wins will mostly stop the fans complaints however we play. If we are going for win at all costs then I don't get why we chose Rowett.

Is it because we won at all costs like yesterday? Like the whole of this post..... 

I don't enjoy watching the football under rowett....it's disjointed,scrappy and doesn't seem to have a style that I can fathom...

Obviously good to win, especially against the red dogs but I think a lot of us have been spoilt by the play under McLaren as it was so easy on the eye and entertaining to watch.

A lot of people are clearly quite happy to watch what GR serves up though....

I'll always support derby and the manager but I've seen nothing of the derby way this season and am still massively disappointed by the loss of Bryson & Hughes plus the criminal under use of Martin.

Time to move on and be pragmatic under GR but it's not what I really wanted to see this season....it feels like we are a slightly better Burton Albion at the minute.

Grinding out results will build confidence which in turn will lead to improved performances & more entertaining play

I'm all for grinding out performances to get results - look at Mourinho at Man Utd last season. He took a year to steady the ship & had untold millions to spend. Up until Saturday at Liverpool performances this season their performances have been far more entertaining for their fans even if it still isn't up to the level of or is different to the style of play under Fergie in the glory years.

If it takes Mourinho & Utd with his experience & their massive cheque book, a year to rebuild the team, impose his style of play & get back to more entertaining football then why should we at Derby expect Rowett to do it any quicker?

Don't like the debate. We won at a canter and that was pretty damn entertaining to me - maybe not the first half quite as much with the constant giveaways. Wasn't hoofball but was just errant passing over and over. But laboured possession is boring as hell. Cue Clement style. Mcclaren never bothered to build a defence or organise a set piece or how to defend a set piece.  He was truly tactically inept and a serial bottler. You have to build the boring stuff - solid defence, set pieces, tactical game management plan, before you can develop your creative attacking. If you look at our second goal, that was pretty cool attacking combination stuff and clinical execution. We are doing that a lot now.

Rowett is doing everything. He's teaching this group how to be winners, and the uber entertaining football is just around the corner. Not only do other teams fear us more but they're prob not even sure how we will play or who we will select.

Archived