Does entertainment/style of play really matter?

Mafiabob

Entertainment/Style  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seen a few on here, not happy with the way we play..... 

Would you rather be us entertaining?

Would you rather us play to win?

Of course both can go hand in hand at times, but I say a lot of the time, unless you're Man Citeh, Real Madrid, PSG or Barcelona..... you're not going to get it.

We are a second tier football team, we are not going to be playing amazing, enthralling football a lot. Nothing wrong to aspire to get to the likes of the teams I mentioned above (unless according to some you're not allowed if your name is Cryus Christie).

Yesterday was game management to the tea..... especially in the second half. A lot of criticism of Gary and the way we obsess about formations and style of play..... but I'd rather see a game out like that yesterday instead of taking a risk 2-0 up and misplace a risky pass and concede. They'd be uproar if that happened.....

Give me winning football games over style of play anytime.

Dont have to be pretty to win games.... it's nice, but not necessary..... Forest case in point.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ease we saw the game out impressed me. Coupled with the way we went to try and win the game at Cardiff gives me hope that Gary will build a team that is solid and hard to beat but also play fast attacking football as well. 

Early days but I'm more confident than I was and feel the right time to judge GR is this time next year.

The issue at the minute is that the way we are playing has very obvious weaknesses that have already been exposed this season. It's not about trying to play pretty football, it's about trying to improve the football we play to win more games...

That being said, yesterday showed some very promising signs, so I'm hopeful that we'll get the balance right soon

5 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Ask Mel Morris. Paul Clements side played an extremely dour brand of football which was acceptable to Morris until we dropped down the table like the proverbial lead balloon.  

I doubt it, seeing as Mel had just launched "The Derby Way" & all that.

Tolerated, maybe.

I think it all depends on where we are in our journey and, to some extent, who we're playing.

At the moment, for me, wins are far more important. However, there will come a time when we'll need to win with style.

Having said that, I'd rather win ugly than lose playing pretty football.

Also, I'd be quite happy if we somehow grind out a win against at "fancied" team but would like to see us win with some style against a lesser team.

In summary, well and truly on the fence and it all depends on circumstances so I've not voted either way. 

Never liked rowetts style of play, however if it means that we get promoted then I’d be more than happy, results over entertainment at this point in time.

Nothing I have seen yet though indicates that we will see that achieved in either the short or long term.

Playing direct whilst being entertaining is possible. Nugents goal on Sunday is a prime example of Rowett's philosophy, winning the ball high up the pitch is a great way of creating opportunities and was the main difference between Mclarens side and Clements side.

Despite the dire display on saturday, Liverpool's gegenpressing football is some of the most entertaining in football at the moment, direct and dogged can be entertaining in my opinion.

Poor winning football falls apart once the results start declining. At least watching good possession based football, attacking play with good openings gives hope it'll turn round if the same attitude continues.

Ugly, dull, defensive football has nowhere to go. You ignore the performance to focus on the results - without results it's agonising.

This hasn't really got. Yes or no answer to me. Any managers first season he needs results. Doesn't matter how he gets them as long as he does. This gives him time to to express his tactics on to the team, which in turn should make them more attuned to the style of play and play it better. Add to that bringing in better players for that particular style will increase the entertainment as everything is quicker, quality is better and the specific players are right for that team.

its important rowett gets the results first, which is why he plays Johnson over Vydra away to make us more solid. Win at home, don't lose away if Rowetts additions next summer are successful the entertainment should be better and so will the results

For me its play to win, what I mean by that is we go into every game for the win - not to play for a draw.

Solid at the back and clean sheets mean nothing if we fail to win the game.

Lets hope come January we have continually improved and GR can bring in some quality that really is needed in midfield and we can go for top two. Now that would be something, especially with the poor start and summer c*** up with the transfers we have had.

COYR

I think it's a bit of an impossible choice. Football isn't just black and white! ;)

I am getting more used to Rowett's style of play and it isn't all dour. I can accept the Cardiff and Forest type results, as we finished both games looking good. I felt much worse about Brentford as the bright spot was early - and not long enough.

But if I  can only choose one of the above I will choose to win. We've been the pretty losers far too often recently. 

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Poor winning football falls apart once the results start declining. At least watching good possession based football, attacking play with good openings gives hope it'll turn round if the same attitude continues.

Ugly, dull, defensive football has nowhere to go. You ignore the performance to focus on the results - without results it's agonising.

Unfortunately once Mac started losing no possession based attacking football made a blind bit of difference. Then again no possession based non attacking football did either ala Clement.

funny old game ain't it!!

Archived