Does entertainment/style of play really matter?

Mafiabob

Entertainment/Style  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Very good analogy. 

Rowett-ball may move on a level now that he can add some prime sirloin steak (George Thorne). 

Was it? It's late and too much ice cream makes me incoherent.

Well that's it, isn't it? There's so much uncertainty. With so many mixed messages and mixed performances, who can claim to be sure about Rowett and his approach and who knows how many pieces away we are from completing the jigsaw?

Is it really clear what Rowett is looking for - will Thorne be the answer? Bryson? Kieftenbeld? Martin?

What I liked about McClaren at least is that it was clear to see what he was trying to implement and you can see by the response of the players that they felt the same.

With Rowett, it's nothing like that.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love watching Derby win, prefer to win 1-0, than lose 3-2,  enjoy watching defenders defend, enjoy watching wingers take there full back on, enjoy seeing well taken goals, and players playing with a smile on there face, does this sound like the game we have just played against Forest yesterday? In time Rowett will get the balance spot on, all football people know he is a good manager, and in time he will take us forward, I can see this happening now, most of his signings are improving game on game, the only one who has struggled a little is Tom. We are lucky to have such a great young manager at our club, so let's get Pride Park rocking again on Saturday against Wednesday, and get us even nearer to the top six.

A very good thread. Ultimately winning every time is the key and is more mood altering for me than any drug. I'm happy for a few days if we've won regardless of style and if we;lose I nowadays try to avoid thinking about football but if I fail I'm miserable. I'd say we entertained in the playpoff final but boy was I miserable afterwards.

"Is Rowett going to bring winning football?" is a different question that can't be answered yet - he needs to be given time. And it's the same with his entertainment levels. There are comments by some on here that the Gumps outplayed us on Sunday, but for me that's nonsense. We scored two lovely (very entertaining) goals and only once looked like conceding, but we have an outstanding keeper who saved the one on one. By the end I was disappointed it wasn't 3 or 4.

There is one irrefutable truth in football that there are vast riches to be had in the Premier League compared with meagre scraps in the Championship. Because of this the rational course of action is to get promotion any way possible since the wealth at your disposal then allows you to do an awful lot more. And the longer you stay outside the top flight that wealth gap increases.

Rowett seems to want to play a fast counterattacking style and that's something I love to watch, going from one end of the pitch to the other in only a few seconds with slick passing and calm finishing at the end of it. But I also enjoy high-pressing (we're just not doing this enough at the moment). I like calculated risks which we didn't do enough of under McClaren but are doing more of under Rowett (and we did none of under Clement). The league seems more open this season than for ages, and it's a shame we're not the settled finished article to take advantage. But it means if Gary can win just a few games the opportunity will present itself and only then will the true test reveal itself which is whether this team is going to be mentally strong enough to go up a level and seize promotion if there is a chance it's going to be on offer.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

A very good thread. Ultimately winning every time is the key and is more mood altering for me than any drug. I'm happy for a few days if we've won regardless of style and if we;lose I nowadays try to avoid thinking about football but if I fail I'm miserable. I'd say we entertained in the playpoff final but boy was I miserable afterwards.

"Is Rowett going to bring winning football?" is a different question that can't be answered yet - he needs to be given time. And it's the same with his entertainment levels. There are comments by some on here that the Gumps outplayed us on Sunday, but for me that's nonsense. We scored two lovely (very entertaining) goals and only once looked like conceding, but we have an outstanding keeper who saved the one on one. By the end I was disappointed it wasn't 3 or 4.

There is one irrefutable truth in football that there are vast riches to be had in the Premier League compared with meagre scraps in the Championship. Because of this the rational course of action is to get promotion any way possible since the wealth at your disposal then allows you to do an awful lot more. And the longer you stay outside the top flight that wealth gap increases.

Rowett seems to want to play a fast counterattacking style and that's something I love to watch, going from one end of the pitch to the other in only a few seconds with slick passing and calm finishing at the end of it. But I also enjoy high-pressing (we're just not doing this enough at the moment). I like calculated risks which we didn't do enough of under McClaren but are doing more of under Rowett (and we did none of under Clement). The league seems more open this season than for ages, and it's a shame we're not the settled finished article to take advantage. But it means if Gary can win just a few games the opportunity will present itself and only then will the true test reveal itself which is whether this team is going to be mentally strong enough to go up a level and seize promotion if there is a chance it's going to be on offer.

My sentiments exactly .. And very eloquently expressed. 

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I'm of the opinion you should play to the strengths of a group of players and look for players that complement each other. Many of Rowett's decisions this season have lacked clarity and conviction.

If you have the ingredients to make a tiramisu, make a tiramisu. If you want to make an apple crumble, you need apples. If you don't have apples, don't try to make an apple crumble.

At higher levels, you have Michelin starred chefs who can make any combination of ingredients cohesive, but we have to accept neither this team nor Rowett are at that level of ingenuity.

I feel like Rowett is looking at his ingredients and frantically turning through his recipe book trying to find something impressive and original to make, when something simpler, more obvious and more palatable would suffice.

Agreed we are Championship Club Derby County, nobody expects us to be Men U

Which ones have you tried though @Carl Sagan? Have you done any Spice yet? :mellow:

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

A very good thread. Ultimately winning every time is the key 

I prefer to be enterrained personally but think in general you are right.

A lot of people, myself included, will tell you how bad the Billy Davies days were but I don't remember too many saying it at the time.

In fact I still remember Preston, Luton and Southampton as being up there with some of my best away days.

The siege mentality coupled with winning games just really seemed to have everyone on board at the time.

I would take issue with that statement @Carl Sagan... There was the Cummins flick/spoon over the bar from 6 yards immediately prior to our 2nd goal. And there were at least 2 other occasions when they got in behind us only for their final ball to be cleared.

without addressing the midfield issue we will continue to be vulnerable to be exploited and structurally unstable. Kieftenbald played for Brum in their victory last Friday so now unlikely to be coming here.

George Thorne may well prove to be the guy to fix the issue...when he's on the pitch he is like a girder...an RSJ. Team selection versus Owls will be interesting; I suspect he'll stick but I'd twist and put Thorne in for TH and see how we go. 

Clement and Rowetts play is pretty similar, Mel said he wanted good football but also promotion straight away, I think he has learnt from his mistakes as we need that toughness when we are away from home, that bite that gets us points away at the top sides, and it's a nice change to see us being able to be strong and have a solid team that doesn't look like conceding all the time, only thing I'd change is sometimes we don't need 2 CDM at home! But if we win we win! 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed we are Championship Club Derby County, nobody expects us to be Men U

I agree you cant expect us to play at the levels of the top clubs, however the Rowett way is suited to this level. Pressing works on the fact that a player under pressure will be unable to hit an accurate pass to an unmarked teammate, championship players arent the best technically so this plays into our hands if the press is done properly. 

Id love to see our team running all over the opposition whilst quickly transitioning the ball from defence to attack in a small number of incisive passes. I think pressing is easier against worse opponents so the entertainment factor will come at the same time as winning games, Rowett just needs time to get the team to buy into his system and pick up the right players.   

18 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Seen a few on here, not happy with the way we play..... 

Would you rather be us entertaining?

Would you rather us play to win?

I enjoy the games more when we play well - In fact I would say I enjoy the games more when we play well and draw than when we play badly and scrape a win - But then part of that is an understanding that if we're playing well it's only a matter of time before we start winning games

Surely it all depends on what you consider entertaining - If you like the tense atmosphere, constant threat of the opposition scoring, quick breaks for goals and get your euphoria from winning games then I think Sunday would have been a perfect game

Personally (and I'm not saying it's right at all btw) I prefer to watch us when we play exciting, attacking football - Chance creation, nice passing, interesting interchanges, beating players, skill, accuracy - I find that more interesting to watch and more exciting - On Sunday I left the game logically pleased - My brain said "good 3 points" - I want to be leaving games like that with my heart singing in excitement and not being able to wait for the next game - This season I hardly find myself looking forward to games

The example I'll often use is the 5 - 0 win a few seasons back - That was an exciting game for about 70 mins - Then the last 20 we just sat back and knocked the ball around - By the time we left I'd actually lost the buzz of excitement about the game

52 minutes ago, TheAllestreeRam said:

Id love to see our team running all over the opposition whilst quickly transitioning the ball from defence to attack in a small number of incisive passes. I think pressing is easier against worse opponents so the entertainment factor will come at the same time as winning games, Rowett just needs time to get the team to buy into his system and pick up the right players.   

Won't this just lead to teams 'parking the bus' against us?

Can't really remember Mac's team playing possession for the sake of it nor being slow in attack, Clement yes. It seems there's a swing going on here, throw out everything that 'didn't work' and lets do 'the other'. Why? 

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Won't this just lead to teams 'parking the bus' against us?

Can't really remember Mac's team playing possession for the sake of it nor being slow in attack, Clement yes. It seems there's a swing going on here, throw out everything that 'didn't work' and lets do 'the other'. Why? 

I think what Rowett is trying to achieve is countering the counter attack. So whilst a team may come and park the bus, when we lose the ball and the opposition try to break on us, we take the ball back as soon as its lost and exploit the space that this turn over of possession creates. Of course this requires a mix of players who can unlock the door when a team is sat in but also be dogged and disciplined.  

The pressing system requires two attributes that derby have been heavily criticised for lacking in recent seasons. Speed and organisation. 

I agree that the idea of throwing everything out after coming close to promotion is ridiculous, missing out on promotion by a 90th minute goal back in 2014 doesnt sound like whole sale change is needed to me... Instead i think what is happening is Rowett is trying to implment his philosophy on the squad and this happens to be different to what we have played in recent seasons. 

37 minutes ago, TheAllestreeRam said:

I think what Rowett is trying to achieve is countering the counter attack. So whilst a team may come and park the bus, when we lose the ball and the opposition try to break on us, we take the ball back as soon as its lost and exploit the space that this turn over of possession creates. Of course this requires a mix of players who can unlock the door when a team is sat in but also be dogged and disciplined.  

The pressing system requires two attributes that derby have been heavily criticised for lacking in recent seasons. Speed and organisation. 

I agree that the idea of throwing everything out after coming close to promotion is ridiculous, missing out on promotion by a 90th minute goal back in 2014 doesnt sound like whole sale change is needed to me... Instead i think what is happening is Rowett is trying to implment his philosophy on the squad and this happens to be different to what we have played in recent seasons. 

What about 2015 & 2016? We badly needed this change in mentality within the club.We became a soft touch. Not any more me thinks!

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

What about 2015 & 2016? We badly needed this change in mentality within the club.We became a soft touch. Not any more me thinks!

Agreed, however regaining the mentality of 2014 in 2015 and 2016 shouldnt have been a huge task when the majority of the squad remained the same. Yeah not any more!

21 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm not sure we ever were, but what is it about this squad that makes you say this btw?

Archived