GR - stick or twist

Spanish

I would want to know his transfer targets for the next 2 transfer windows and also who he plans to offload.

I would want to know how they fit into his plans and what his end goal is.

Suitable answers which he intends to deliver on and he stays no matter what.

Make it up as he goes along or another attempt at deviation  from his narrative in the January transfer window and he may as well go then.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I would want to know his transfer targets for the next 2 transfer windows and also who he plans to offload.

I would want to know how they fit into his plans and what his end goal is.

Suitable answers which he intends to deliver on and he stays no matter what.

Make it up as he goes along or another attempt at deviation  from his narrative in the January transfer window and he may as well go then.

I suppose he cant give much details on targets just because supply and demand will dictate the price.  Agree it would be nice to have a generic plan get away from this top 2 story and accept it as it is.  A spell of under promise and over deliver would be nice.  Maybe he is worried about the sack if he comes over too negative.  last sentence is spot on imo

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I suppose he cant give much details on targets just because supply and demand will dictate the price.  Agree it would be nice to have a generic plan get away from this top 2 story and accept it as it is.  A spell of under promise and over deliver would be nice.  Maybe he is worried about the sack if he comes over too negative.  last sentence is spot on imo

It's not much to do with price, or even specific names, just the the sort of players he is looking for.

He also needs to spell out how the path is open for our academy players through to the first team as well.

People go on about how much we have wasted on transfers but I imagine we've wasted just as much on the academy if no manager has the intention of bringing players through.

I said on another thread that the club should come out now and show support for GR. Let the fans know the plan (even if it means losing a few thousand for next season) and this may give GR the confidence to revert back to his original plan instead of doing things that stink of desperation. 

The time to change managers is a month before a transfer window opens/end of the season to give the new guy a few weeks to assess the squad. So if I were Mel, I'd be reviewing Rowett in late November and early April. So I'd certainly stick for now. 

As it happens, this season is going exactly as I thought it would. The one problem that seems to pass fans by is that many of our players aren't good enough. That is compounded by the 'fact' that the players who are decent don't really fit together in a cohesive unit. This squad needs major surgery and that can't be done in one window.

To me it looks like Rowett has made numerous mistakes - but that doesn't mean he actually has. It's more likely that I'm wrong than a man with Rowett's footballing knowledge. We can't form a judgement on any manager by analyzing individual decisions. It's what happens on the pitch over the course of several months that counts. It's still too early to get too worked up about that as we were always going to be a work in progress this season.

As long as we're 6 points off the bottom three in November and top half in April, we should stick with Rowett. 

What the club, including the manager, needs to do is stop blathering on about promotion. Mel shouldn't make offers about free season tickets in the PL as it just raises expectations. Managers need the fans to cut them some slack, not feel too pressurised by the need for instant results that they panic buy and cease all experimentation. When we go up, it might be an instant fix or the culmination of several years of building. Yet everyone should realise that Rowett's record at present looks very similar to Brian Clough's early tenure. 

Another thought though. How many teams have been promoted from the Championship that didn't play 442? I reckon that it's about 2 from the last 30. Special formations require special players to make them work - which always costs a lot of cash.

2 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

I think most fans would be happy to keep him if there was a plan. With Clement, I got it. With Pearson, I had no bloody clue what he was trying to do. 

Give Rowett at least until Xmas. If there is a clear direction, then we should support that with another transfer window at least. If by Xmas we are all still scratching our heads while being served up drivel, it might be time to have a think. 

He is clearly clearing out the high earners which is why I am not expecting miracles and as we replace them bit by bit we will see what we are left with.

20 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The time to change managers is a month before a transfer window opens/end of the season to give the new guy a few weeks to assess the squad. So if I were Mel, I'd be reviewing Rowett in late November and early April. So I'd certainly stick for now. 

As it happens, this season is going exactly as I thought it would. The one problem that seems to pass fans by is that many of our players aren't good enough. That is compounded by the 'fact' that the players who are decent don't really fit together in a cohesive unit. This squad needs major surgery and that can't be done in one window.

To me it looks like Rowett has made numerous mistakes - but that doesn't mean he actually has. It's more likely that I'm wrong than a man with Rowett's footballing knowledge. We can't form a judgement on any manager by analyzing individual decisions. It's what happens on the pitch over the course of several months that counts. It's still too early to get too worked up about that as we were always going to be a work in progress this season.

As long as we're 6 points off the bottom three in November and top half in April, we should stick with Rowett. 

What the club, including the manager, needs to do is stop blathering on about promotion. Mel shouldn't make offers about free season tickets in the PL as it just raises expectations. Managers need the fans to cut them some slack, not feel too pressurised by the need for instant results that they panic buy and cease all experimentation. When we go up, it might be an instant fix or the culmination of several years of building. Yet everyone should realise that Rowett's record at present looks very similar to Brian Clough's early tenure. 

Another thought though. How many teams have been promoted from the Championship that didn't play 442? I reckon that it's about 2 from the last 30. Special formations require special players to make them work - which always costs a lot of cash.

Excellent post Cornwall and to my Mind spot on. I have banged on about us needing to play a solid 442 with the players we currently have! Instead of trying to find a way to accommodate the likes of your ince's wieman's johnson's and Butterfield's and personally I would be starting Martin with any of our forward options.

I understand that the a manager needs time, and Rowett does need time to get his team playing the way he wants. But the problem is that I've not seen anything so far (only home games) that has shown that his style is going to be the way forward. Away from home, it sounds as if it has been even worse. Nothing seems to have changed since Pearsons era.

46 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Agree with most but can't agree with the players are not good enough.

To a man we have players that have all achieved more and played consistently at higher levels than the level they are currently playing at.

They may all have different skills sets to what is required in the here and now but to say they are not good enough could not be further away from the truth in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Not offended, just curious as to why a new thread was required. 

not keeping a log on which side of the fence you fall on, but is there anything that would change you point of view.  I think it has been surprising that no one has mentioned the getting badly beaten or thrashing Florist would have an impact.  I thought it would have mattered more

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agree with most but can't agree with the players are not good enough.

To a man we have players that have all achieved more and played consistently at higher levels than the level they are currently playing at.

They may all have different skills sets to what is required in the here and now but to say they are not good enough could not be further away from the truth in my opinion.

heard this a few times but several managers have tried and failed to get promotion with the same core players.  they are all getting older so maybe I'm not so convinced that they are actually that good

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

heard this a few times but several managers have tried and failed to get promotion with the same core players.  they are all getting older so maybe I'm not so convinced that they are actually that good

I would say there is only Davies and Huddlestone where their age should be potentially affecting their game.

Archived