Replacing Gary....a hypothetical question

1 hour ago, philmycock said:

I'll buy a season ticket every year through thick and thin, and follow away 6 or 7 times a year, so I'm going nowhere, but jeez I just wanna be entertained, good football, win, lose or draw, not this dilge, not soaking up pressure to counter attack, it's just not fun, it's not the Derby Way, eh Mel?

I was just about to write along similar lines, ok, I only listened on the radio tonight, but apart from a few spells against Hull I'm really struggling to remember being entertained at all this season!

It is what I feared we were going to get with a GR team, but every time he interviews and the roundhouse forum he convinces me the Burton and Brum style is not his style but necessary with the players available.... but it really feels he's turning us into one of them type of teams. 

Disappointed, but not despairing... yet!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Leicester won the premier league playing like that. Think their fans hated it?

No, just no!

They won playing a similar style to what GR says he wants to play, and for the 1 season that worked what about all of the teams and seasons that hasn't given success?

I'm struggling to think of any other time a team has been successful over a whole season with so little control within a game! Arguably at the start of that season they caught everyone by surprise, and by the time they were taken seriously they had so much momentum they couldn't effectively be stopped. But most importantly, they had the x factor with Vardy, Mahrez and Kante and 2 of them haven't reproduced anything like that form since.... it just isn't sustainable

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

What about that bloke who was sexually harrassing the women's football team, or whatever it was.

its about the only thing we haven't tried - playing a few women to mix it up a bit.

Not a good idea. Don’t care how many women footballers he’s slept with. He’s bound to want to roger gorgeous George

5 hours ago, Charlie G said:

Frank de boar - won league titles with Ajax, went to inter Milan so Derby is a club he could handle quite easily. 

So ok , c.palace didn't work but I liked the style of play and he had 5 games. Never enough, however we got to act quick as deportivo in Spain are making moves for him and they are a big club. 

Only a suggestion! 

Give me strength.

8 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Think the whole idea of him being sacked is completely ridiculous and stupid... that said if he was I'd like some foreign chap with a funny sounding name that I'd never heard of.

Marcelo Alberto Bielsa Caldera..........."El Loco" the crazy one! ..........think I've mentioned him on here before.:wub:

Currently at Lille who are in the bottom three of Ligue 1 with a record of played 7, won 1, drawn 2 and lost 4 so could be on the managerial market pretty soon!

Managed the national teams of Argentina and Chile plus lively spells at Espanyol, Athletico Bilbao, Marseille, Lazio (for 2 days) and now Lille.

Uses a 3-3-1-3 total football" high pressing formation.  Pep Guardiola credited Bielsa as his tactical inspiration and called him the "best manager in the world" in 2012.

This is a man who was still a rookie 37-year-old manager at Argentinian club Newell’s Old Boys in 1992 when they lost a Copa Libertadores game 6-0 to San Lorenzo and a group of the club’s hardcore supporters went to his house to protest to him personally about the defeat, he allegedly opened the front door to them holding a grenade and said he would pull the pin if they did not clear off, before chasing them down the street.

For those on Football Manager, FIFA 17 or employed at Moor Farm can I recommend the following five minute video! :thumbsup:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDRVk4qvDX0

I said it time & time again, but we should've gone for Warburton, whenever he was available.  He was on a hiding to nothing at Rangers trying to compete with Celtic, and at Forest with no money to spend.  Just imagine if Mel had gone for him instead of launching into the Clement/Evans shopping spree...

None would be considered available or come but would like to see someone with lots of experience. Steve Bruce ( I feel he almost asked for the job after our hull defeat) Warnock. ( chance gone after Rotherham) or even mick M at Ipswich. None are glamorous but certainly know this division inside out.  Like the previous poster stated tho. Clear out the players we don’t want first, don’t spend silly money in the meantime then reassess in a year or so on Gary’s future 

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

I said it time & time again, but we should've gone for Warburton, whenever he was available.  He was on a hiding to nothing at Rangers trying to compete with Celtic, and at Forest with no money to spend.  Just imagine if Mel had gone for him instead of launching into the Clement/Evans shopping spree...

The same guy who's Forest team have lost 6 of their last 7 despite "dominating possession"...

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

If you think we're dull now, why the f*** would we employ Karanka???

I think this actually says a lot. 

We bang on about being entertained but if the results are there we are willing to let it slide a little. Had we managed a late winner v Birmingham and held on last night, the atmosphere would be much different. Nobody would be swinging from the trees shouting this is great but we would be in 8th place today, 2pts off the top 6 with a game in hand.

Win that, 4th.

We're not fans that would sacrifice results and enjoy staying in the Championship with entertaining football. 

All those that say they don't want Premier League rubbish are talking out their pooper shoot, that's exactly where we want to be and as Karanka recently took a side up, no surprise he's a name that has been thrown out there.

Reason so many are questioning Rowett has little to do with entertainment, it's results. A club of Derby County's size should not be drawing with the likes of Brentford and Birmingham, do we know who we are?

Some will deny it but in another breath claim football is a results business which is true, it is.

7 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

The same guy who's Forest team have lost 6 of their last 7 despite "dominating possession"...

Yes.  I'd wager we'd fair a little better as we have better strikers.  At the moment, we're flips sides of each other, we're too defensive, they're too attacking.  I guess it's a question of how you'd like to see us lose, trying to win a game, or protecting the point you started with.

I don't think we should get rid of GR.  I just want to see a little more of the tactical flexibility, the Brum fans were telling us about, when he first took over.

Archived