Replacing Gary....a hypothetical question

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

Frank de boar - won league titles with Ajax, went to inter Milan so Derby is a club he could handle quite easily. 

So ok , c.palace didn't work but I liked the style of play and he had 5 games. Never enough, however we got to act quick as deportivo in Spain are making moves for him and they are a big club. 

Only a suggestion! 

De Boer's tenure was such a disaster because he tried to turn a Palacd team into Ajax.

He would try to do the same with us despite the fact that Keogh, Huddlestone, Thorne and Martin are our only three technicians left. 

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

He would try to do the same with us despite the fact that Keogh, Huddlestone, Thorne and Martin are our only three technicians left. 

That's 4 but dare I say Bryson and butterfield are still our players. Lawrence is also a technical player so should a technical manager come in he will have certain players to work with. 

Like I said it was only a suggestion,  but I'm quite sure it will never happen but I can dream can't I 

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Ironically, the results dipped under McClaren because he tried to get us playing possession football again. It just didn't suit BJ, Butters, Bent or Pearce. 

He went up in my estimations because of the fact he had us grinding out wins rather than trying to implement the football straight away.

I just can't figure out why we went to the trouble of reappointing McClaren only to dump him before the end of the season, when most sane people understood that McClaren's return may have improved results initially, but to sustain that level, he needed time.

The perceived wisdom was that Rowett was a man in demand and needed to be snapped up, and by giving him 9-10 games, he'd get a head start on his rivals, come into pre-season with a clear and tangible strategy, and ultimately be able to hit the ground running.

Serious question, has Rowett delivered on anything at this point? So disappointing. So muddled.

I'll buy a season ticket every year through thick and thin, and follow away 6 or 7 times a year, so I'm going nowhere, but jeez I just wanna be entertained, good football, win, lose or draw, not this dilge, not soaking up pressure to counter attack, it's just not fun, it's not the Derby Way, eh Mel?

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I just can't figure out why we went to the trouble of reappointing McClaren only to dump him before the end of the season, when most sane people understood that McClaren's return may have improved results initially, but to sustain that level, he needed time.

The perceived wisdom was that Rowett was a man in demand and needed to be snapped up, and by giving him 9-10 games, he'd get a head start on his rivals, come into pre-season with a clear and tangible strategy, and ultimately be able to hit the ground running.

Serious question, has Rowett delivered on anything at this point? So disappointing. So muddled.

He's barely begun. Get a grip.

You look at the current impact that Nuno and Thomas Christensen are having at Wolves and Leeds respectively - these are two managers who before the summer were completely alien to English football, never mind the Championship, taking on jobs at two big clubs and under immense pressure no less - and it makes you wonder how could we get it so wrong. Especially when we gave Rowett not just the summer to bed in, but the spring too!

Rowett is supposed to be the cool, savvy, clued up one. Yet he looks anything but. He is the one who looks unable to respond to pressure. He is the one who looks out of his depth. He is the one who seems out of touch. He is the one who seems unable to motivate and galvanise a group of players.

It's a bit galling really.

11 minutes ago, philmycock said:

I'll buy a season ticket every year through thick and thin, and follow away 6 or 7 times a year, so I'm going nowhere, but jeez I just wanna be entertained, good football, win, lose or draw, not this dilge, not soaking up pressure to counter attack, it's just not fun, it's not the Derby Way, eh Mel?

Leicester won the premier league playing like that. Think their fans hated it?

18 minutes ago, Ninos said:

He's barely begun. Get a grip.

Ninos, please don't get me wrong, I'm usually one of the people advocating giving the manager time. See Clement and Pearson before now.

Please don't talk like we are in 2011 with Nigel, Tom and the gang, and Barker type fees.

It's painfully clear to see that Rowett is not the man to take us forwards, whatever the remit.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You look at the current impact that Nuno and Thomas Christensen are having at Wolves and Leeds respectively - these are two managers who before the summer were completely alien to English football, never mind the Championship, taking on jobs at two big clubs and under immense pressure no less - and it makes you wonder how could we get it so wrong. Especially when we gave Rowett not just the summer to bed in, but the spring too!

Rowett is supposed to be the cool, savvy, clued up one. Yet he looks anything but. He is the one who looks unable to respond to pressure. He is the one who looks out of his depth. He is the one who seems out of touch. He is the one who seems unable to motivate and galvanise a group of players.

It's a bit galling really.

Agreed.

Wolves and Leeds both did what we only tried to do; full-scale change. Not only new managers but for example, Leeds brought in 16 new players and new playing style. "Teams need time gel"... no, they don't. They need a solid a defense and variety of attacking options during the game.

1 hour ago, philmycock said:

I agreed.

Dire rubbish boring tactics that win you nothing apart lower gates and the sack !

Archived