Replacing Gary....a hypothetical question

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

You're seriously comparing Derby under Rowett to Leicester's premiership winning season???? You're avin' a Steffi aren't ya!! Come on, you're just goading me now!! You cheeky devil!!!

No. I was responding to a post that said counterattacking football is boring. You defend as a unit then kapowww! Like Leicester. It's thrilling when done right.  We haven't quite got the kapowww bit right yet, but we are half way there :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Rich84 said:

No, just no!

They won playing a similar style to what GR says he wants to play, and for the 1 season that worked what about all of the teams and seasons that hasn't given success?

I'm struggling to think of any other time a team has been successful over a whole season with so little control within a game! Arguably at the start of that season they caught everyone by surprise, and by the time they were taken seriously they had so much momentum they couldn't effectively be stopped. But most importantly, they had the x factor with Vardy, Mahrez and Kante and 2 of them haven't reproduced anything like that form since.... it just isn't sustainable

And Leicester were rank outsiders up against Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, Liverpool....etc....Are we seriously talking about adopting a dire hoofball, on the break, no possession, sit back and defend, backs to the wall, roll up in a ball and take a kicking, sh@?, Cr&*, bo**)Cks, brand of football against Brentford, Burton, Barnsley, Bolton, Birmingham, Bristol.....not to mention the other bang average teams in the Championship that don't begin with a B????  Shouldn't we be going into these games looking to dominate??? We go in to every game expecting to have only 20 to 30% possession. We're feckin Derby County.......not feckin Stockport County!!!

9 minutes ago, Ninos said:

No. I was responding to a post that said counterattacking football is boring. You defend as a unit then kapowww! Like Leicester. It's thrilling when done right.  We haven't quite got the kapowww bit right yet, but we are half way there :thumbsup:

"Half way there" as in we're good at allowing the opposition to pile the pressure on, just haven't learnt the "hit 'em on the break bit?? OK, getting your Irony now! Clearly you're making these posts with tongue firmly in cheek! Which would explain the absolute boooolllox you talk constantly!!

My apologies!

20 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Delusional . We may be halfway  ( doubt it) but two things will prevent us doing better. Our midfield is completely screwed after the recent transfer window and and our manager is too cautious to use our attacking resources effectively.

23 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

"Half way there" as in we're good at allowing the opposition to pile the pressure on, just haven't learnt the "hit 'em on the break bit?? OK, getting your Irony now! Clearly you're making these posts with tongue firmly in cheek! Which would explain the absolute boooolllox you talk constantly!!

My apologies!

Didn't GR say that post game ? In a polished way. That we were solid defensively - they had two on target shots - but that we lacked the proper approach in our counters. So I'm reiterating what Rowett said. He didn't tell them hoof it when we get it and was bemused that we did that so much. So the kapoww but needs fixing. 

2 hours ago, David said:

I think this actually says a lot. 

We bang on about being entertained but if the results are there we are willing to let it slide a little. Had we managed a late winner v Birmingham and held on last night, the atmosphere would be much different. Nobody would be swinging from the trees shouting this is great but we would be in 8th place today, 2pts off the top 6 with a game in hand.

Win that, 4th.

We're not fans that would sacrifice results and enjoy staying in the Championship with entertaining football. 

All those that say they don't want Premier League rubbish are talking out their pooper shoot, that's exactly where we want to be and as Karanka recently took a side up, no surprise he's a name that has been thrown out there.

Reason so many are questioning Rowett has little to do with entertainment, it's results. A club of Derby County's size should not be drawing with the likes of Brentford and Birmingham, do we know who we are?

Some will deny it but in another breath claim football is a results business which is true, it is.

No result excuses having only 22% in any game, let alone one against a team beneath us in every aspect (respect to Brentford btw!!) There's no getting away from the fact that Rowett has taken us backwards at a rate. Mac 2, Pearson, Clement all got the chop for way less. (Alright, Pearson's a cockwomble so deserved it!) but that said Rowett is being given the benefit of the doubt simply because we have lowered our expectations from promotion hopefuls to relegation dodgers, and watching paint dry for our trouble!!

46 minutes ago, Ninos said:

So you're saying GR's logic is let's give them 80% possession even though we haven't worked on the fast break bit yet???

Which would confirm my thought's that he's clueless.

2 hours ago, David said:

Leeds lost to Millwall
Norwich drew with Burton
Fulham lost to Burton
Sheff Wed lost to Sheff Utd
Cardiff lost to Preston

It's like we never learn that teams drop points to those below them and that every game is worth 3pts regardless of who you play.

Don't get me wrong, we should go into these games believing we should be winning them, but when we drop points not act like we have just made the back page headline of every paper going.

But all of those teams listed can actually string 3 passes together!

2 hours ago, David said:

Not saying it is, what I'm saying is when the results are there more allowances are made for poor performances.

As I just said to Stoney, hold on for 3 points last night, grab a winner v Birmingham. No change in the overall performances, today would be a totally different atmosphere. We'd be 2pts off top 6 with a game in hand.

But we're not. When results and performances are not going your way thats a double whammy. 

And if may auntie had a pair of nads she'd be my uncle!

9 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

So you're saying GR's logic is let's give them 80% possession even though we haven't worked on the fast break bit yet???

Which would confirm my thought's that he's clueless.

You don't wave wands and you don't necessarily get them to play exactly as you like straight away, especially if the plan has some detail where you have to transmit the ideas to players.  It takes some time. Having to put Weimann in, playing a rusty Ledley and a returning Fozzy with a new striker and a new spot for Jonno didn't help accelerate things and were contributing factors to the disjointedness with the ball. It clicked pretty decently for day 1 of the away day method. 

clueless he isn't 

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

You don't wave wands and you don't necessarily get them to play exactly as you like straight away, especially if the plan has some detail where you have to transmit the ideas to players.  It takes some time. Having to put Weimann in, playing a rusty Ledley and a returning Fozzy with a new striker and a new spot for Jonno didn't help accelerate things and ere contributing factors to the disjointedness with the ball. It clicked pretty decently for day 1 of the away day method. 

clueless he isn't 

I'm getting bored of saying this..........so why didn't that apply to Clem, Pearson and Mac 2? Your double standards are breath-taking!

2 hours ago, David said:

That's not the question, I'm asking had we won "hypothetically" would you have posted it?

I'm not trying to have a pop, single you out, just point out that results can change an atmosphere regardless of performance.

Yes, you still walk away saying that was utter s****, at least we won and off down the pub for a pint.

s**** performance with no 3 points, I'm off on the internet to get this clown out my club, better not go down the pub I'll end up sparking someone out. 

That's not exactly true. If you look at last night's HT posts you'll read a lot of disquiet even at 1 nil up. It doesn't matter how much you polish a terd, it's still a terd!

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's true, results are a great pacifier but I remember bris's post being flamed by the very same people who are defending rowett now.....it's generally the positive posters in the past who were fed up now,which is a little bizarre and quite indicative of the unrest in here.

BANG ON SIRE!!!

3 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

I'm getting bored of saying this..........so why didn't that apply to Clem, Pearson and Mac 2? Your double standards are breath-taking!

Pearson I don't know the real question reason so can't speak to that - but the other two had plenty of time to fail, and flounder they did, Mac epically. Rowetts not even had 10 games yet this season and he's not got a losing record which is rather impressive given the extent of the overhaul going on. Jury is out. Talk to me in January. 

Our problem is we now have half a Rowett squad, half a squad from other eras.. Our midfield is certainly not close to being as good as when Rowett took over, and he is seemingly taking us in the wrong direction. 

I must ask, if he didn't live in Derby, would we have rushed out to sign him? If he didn't have a connection with the club, I feel like the logistics would have ruled him out. I fear (I'll probably get hate for this) that Mark Warburton would have been a good appointment, and I said this at the time. We've just got a jumbled assortment of players that don't suit any styles. 

14 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I just can't figure out why we went to the trouble of reappointing McClaren only to dump him before the end of the season, when most sane people understood that McClaren's return may have improved results initially, but to sustain that level, he needed time.

The perceived wisdom was that Rowett was a man in demand and needed to be snapped up, and by giving him 9-10 games, he'd get a head start on his rivals, come into pre-season with a clear and tangible strategy, and ultimately be able to hit the ground running.

Serious question, has Rowett delivered on anything at this point? So disappointing. So muddled.

The reason why we dumped him, in my opinion, is because Mel probably knew we had to sell Ince and Hughes, he probably also knew that Mac would not want that.

To this day Stevie hasn't yet had significant money to spend on players, the only player he managed to get in Jan was Nugent and that weren't too bad.

Had Steve been here at the end of the season he would have wanted money to spend, something we clearly didn't have, but had he done it, I imagine we would be further up the table.

3 hours ago, David said:

All those that say they don't want Premier League rubbish are talking out their pooper shoot, that's exactly where we want to be and as Karanka recently took a side up, no surprise he's a name that has been thrown out there.

Big difference between not wanting the PL and not caring whether we are there or not. My support of this club is not dependent on what division we are in.  

Want to be entertained and if that entertainment leads to promotion so be it, but not the be-all and end-all.  Not getting that yet, but still early days really. 

Archived