Bristol City v Derby County

CumbrianRam

1 minute ago, sage said:

As much as everything went for us v Hull and a defeat was fair result yesterday. A couple of key decisions went against us yesterday.

It looked (from 90 yards) away like Baird was fouled for their first goal that got their momentum going and at 2-1 down with 20 to go and us on top Pack should clearly have got a second yellow.

Whilst we have flaws that need addressing, it shows how a bit of luck and a ref decision can amplify if not change a result.

I agree. And that booking for Bradley Johnson for the first foul of the match was maybe harsh too. He certainly let them get away with worse. 

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sage said:

Bristol is a nice city. If we play them next season I will go for the weekend.

My Alma Mater and ended up living there for 12years; lots of history and lovely places to visit. Virtually ended my football career on the Bristol Downs where the changing rooms were known as the "Tardis" as they looked tiny from the outside but come November at 5 o'clock on a Saturday would contain about 350 blokes all jostling for about 50 shower spaces. Don't miss the M5 drive up for home games midweek either. ?

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree. And that booking for Bradley Johnson for the first foul of the match was maybe harsh too. He certainly let them get away with worse. 

In my opinion this one decision changed the whole complexity of the game. I didn't think it was a yellow anyway, and it then meant that we no longer had anyone in midfield who could tackle or put their body about for the next  86 minutes of the game. Baird should have slotted into defensive midfield at half time and Wisdom come on at right back. 

15 minutes ago, sage said:

As much as everything went for us v Hull and a defeat was fair result yesterday. A couple of key decisions went against us yesterday.

It looked (from 90 yards) away like Baird was fouled for their first goal that got their momentum going and at 2-1 down with 20 to go and us on top Pack should clearly have got a second yellow.

Whilst we have flaws that need addressing, it shows how a bit of luck and a ref decision can amplify if not change a result.

The refs decisions had no bearing on this result what so ever

From what i witnessed

After a promising opening 20 mins we were then lucky to go in ahead at the break with carson pulling off two good saves and then an utter wander save that he had no right to block where their guy should have buried it.

we offered very little after the first 30 mins

they were building a head of steam pre halftime and then just came out second half and steamrolled us.

no complaints, they had pace, trickery, strength and desire, i was thoroughly impressed with them, to the point i actually applauded their fourth goal, their lad in midfield did brilliantly to get the ball work his space and then fire a delicious pass to the forward.

We were well beaten by a better side plain and simple 

9 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

The refs decisions had no bearing on this result what so ever

From what i witnessed

After a promising opening 20 mins we were then lucky to go in ahead at the break with carson pulling off two good saves and then an utter wander save that he had no right to block where their guy should have buried it.

we offered very little after the first 30 mins

they were building a head of steam pre halftime and then just came out second half and steamrolled us.

no complaints, they had pace, trickery, strength and desire, i was thoroughly impressed with them, to the point i actually applauded their fourth goal, their lad in midfield did brilliantly to get the ball work his space and then fire a delicious pass to the forward.

We were well beaten by a better side plain and simple 

So them being reduced to 10 men at 2-1 with us having our best spell of the game wouldn't have affected the game?

I agree we were well beaten but you could see Johnson having to hold back from tackles he would have made otherwise.

My frustration is that we could have done something at half time - while we were still 1-0 up - to try and counteract their dominance but we didn't. I would have done exactly what @r_wilcockson suggested. Wisdom wouldn't have let the players run through as easily as the other defenders did. He'd have let them know he was there - we really lacked physicality yesterday yet they had it all over the pitch. 

Bringing on forwards was a Mac tactic that we all used to complain about yet Rowett did exactly the same yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, sage said:

So them being reduced to 10 men at 2-1 with us having our best spell of the game wouldn't have affected the game?

Well Obviously yes 

we were still second best through out bar first 25 mins and a little spell at 2-1

If this is regarding pack pulling johnson back edge of the area then we were right in line with it right of the goal and it dodnt even look a foul truth be told, johnson wasnt in control of the ball and appeared to fling himself to the ground,honestly thought it wasnt a foul

1 hour ago, sage said:

Bristol is a nice city. If we play them next season I will go for the weekend.

You should, match results aside, plenty near by. I've done Weston last year, this year stayed at the Webbington hotel. Pretty good weekend deal and close to Bristol and Weston. If weather naff, this place has a pool.

10 hours ago, Ramshankered said:

I'm not one to demand a manager's head. Even so, the inconsistency is reminiscent of how we were under Clough Jnr. Feels a bit like being back at square one. Watching DCFC progress at times is like watching VERY slow-drying paint dry (except a bit more emotional).

I do think with a bit of time Rowett will get it right. But I'm not confident he'll get the time he needs. 

I'd say my passion for the team and my lack of almost caring now when we lose, has a similar feeling for the last 18 months or so of Nigel Clough's time at the club. For me during that time, we had gotten into rut over 3 years or so where the football didn't improve and it felt like we were going nowhere, but still sticking with Nigel in the hope we'd go somewhere. Now it's the opposite, no stability in terms of managers, chopping and changing and it just feels like we are in a rut again where no manager seems capable of turning this squad into a consistent competitive team. Problem is, the cure last time for me was when we brought Mac in and it was a breath of fresh air for the club. This time that can't be the answer, because no new manager coming in can get my hopes up. If Nigel Pearson, Mac x2, Paul Clement and now seemingly Gary Rowett can't get this team to gel and unify in the ways that Hughton did it at Brighton and Howe at Bournemouth, then no new manager will excite me. 

Maybe Rowett will be our new Nigel Clough, 3 or 4 years of having to build a team again and unify it, before either himself or someone else coming in to take us onto the next level. For me, we may as well give him at least 2 seasons, no point keep chopping and changing, as it has shown, it won't achieve anything. Sadly I think the team we built and how agonisingly close we came to promotion has long gone. Will take us probably another 2 seasons after this to build a team that can challenge.

I went with a friend a couple of weeks ago and sat in the away end for Bristol City v Aston Villa.

I was really impressed with Bristol Citys fluid ability to move the ball around and they very much looked like a team with good energy and very much on the up.

I said before the game i thought Derby would struggle against them and was sadly proven right after watching it yesterday.  We couldnt cope with their tempo when going forward which very much sums up where we are right now.

10 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Kieftenbeld - failure to sign in the correct place on a transfer document. Whose fault is that.

The fault is that we were trying to sign a player to fulfill a fundamental requirement of the system Rowett wants to play, 5 minutes before the deadline.  We've obviously needed a player like that all summer - it should have been done months before.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No-one in the Prem seemed keen on lending us anyone did they?

Why would you though? A club that's renowned for a mental frailty, and a couple of managers a year. Hardly somewhere I would want to send my potential stars to grow and evolve. 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No-one in the Prem seemed keen on lending us anyone did they?

In fairness, I believe the loan market has changed, even over the last few seasons.

Clubs like Chelsea have turned the loan market into a revenue builder, and the rest of the Premier League have followed suit.

A few years back, you'd sign a loanee for a contribution to his wages and the chance to play regularly. 

Now they want a sizable loan fee, the player wants more money, and it's moved away from player development to money making.

I don't blame Rowett for steering clear in those circumstances. 

When building teams, like Rowett is doing, you are going to get ups (Hull), and downs (Wolves and Bristol), it's going to take time and patience, which I hope Mel has got, for me and this is my opinun only Clement should have been given more time, it only went wrong when Mel entered the dressing room, beleave me plenty of people at Derby and the football world had plenty of time for Clement, I was one of the fans who wanted Rowett in, when Mr Mac was given the job second time round, big mistake, thank Mr Rush for that, I feel we are going back to how a English football club should be run, with the manager making the decisions on the team, transfers in and outs, and this will take time to come together, we could well beat Brum easily or lose heavily, hopeing we will win and probably will, but as I have said before, Mr Rowett has a tough job, but given time it will work, well fingers crossed anyway.

We are abysmal away from home. Rowett needs to fix that and sharpish. I found yesterday a little deflating, it was similar to Tuesday night in Barnsley. Where the opposition are young, quick and dynamic. Whereas we are (in the main) a team full of plodders telegraphing everything we do. 

The alarming thing is, it could easily have been more than 4-1. 

Lovely trip though. I like Bristol.

16 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I see your point angry but I'm not sure how it effected our momentum....the side facing Barnsley were completely different to the hull side and the hull side had the normal turnaround to the next game...so it shouldn't have effected them at all,anymore than the under 23 side losing midweek......we are pretty weak, psychologically,if it did (or is that your point?)

I think there are far more fundamental problems with us at the minute...mainly in the midfield area as discussed already.

The problem can't be midfield there isn't one.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Now they want a sizable loan fee, the player wants more money, and it's moved away from player development to money making.

I don't blame Rowett for steering clear in those circumstances. 

I do. He's in charge of transfers. Loan fees should hardly have come as a surprise should they, didn't we charge £3m for Martin?

If we hadn't signed Davies and Huddz their money could have paid for another player. Hate to say it but Davies doesn't seem much better, if at all than Pearce or Shack. As for Huddz, well, and they say Martin has only one way of playing!

Archived