Derby County v Hull City

Leicester Ram

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Similar to Johnson and Vydra!

Meyler had a couple of sighters having worked the space well, one clipped the bar and the other was wild.

Hull created some decent openings. They should have scored a free header, had another free header straight at Carson.

For me it was just one of those games. We didn't create any more than Hull did. Aside from Martin's late shot, I don't recall their GK making a save which illustrates just how clinical we were.

Vydra forced a smart save at the end of the first half.

For what it's worth, I've had a quick browse of Hull's matchday thread for this game and the general consensus is that this was one of their worst performances for years, some saying the worst since they lost 4-0 against us. Most think they got exactly what they deserved.

If you talk to the fans of two football teams immediately after they've played each other and asked them to describe the game, you'd think they'd have just watched two different games in some cases.

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Hull only had three shots on target, so that would make them even "luckier" than we were tonight if that were the scoreline.

Another day and we beat Sheffield United 1-0. Would have us on the exact same points as we would combined with your argument. If that's your opinion, that's fine, but I still don't understand how hypothetical can situations can be used to criticise a performance, but fair enough.

I haven't criticised the performance. I thought we worked tirelessly and Keogh in particular was outstanding.

I agree on another day we beat Sheff Utd. It's fine margins, we get the breaks one week and have them against us the next.

I remember people complained so much how we never scores from corners. We scored two tonight.

How many freekicks will Vydra score this season? I'll be amazed if it's more than two.

How many times will a defender gift Johnson the ball on the edge of the area like that this season? And how many goals will he score from outside the box?

The fact it all seemed to happen in one game, added with Hull missing a penalty and a few other opportunities, shows how we got our fair share of lady luck.

It happens. Under Mac we lost games against Wolves and Brighton (2-0) where we all left wondering how it happened.

I'm sure most watching that didn't think it was a 5-0 game at all. 

I don't think it was an overly controlled display where we were utterly dominant, but I don't think we will/can play like that with the two man midfield. What the players did, however, was show a lot of ability and that's what won us the game. 

I think certain players, if not proved they are fundamentally good footballers, at least reminded us that we have assembled an expensive team here. 

£21m has been spent on acquiring Johnson, Vydra & Lawrence. I think tonight was stark reminder to why their previous clubs held them in such high regard that made us fork out such values. 

So happy with tonight and multiple performances. 

Vydra is influential in the middle as well as clinical, we finally have someone playing close to this striker after what feels like an eternity of isolated Derby strikers.

To be honest, I was comfortable with Johnson next to Huddlestone. Kieftenbeld would have been an absolutely necessary alternative to Johnson but if you let Johnson be an all action, combative midfielder with someone doing the difficult stuff for him, he's one of the best in the league. Really happy with Rowett giving him a role that lets him do what he's good at.

I think 5-0 flatters us but it was a massive step towards to becoming a cohesive team that plays well together.

Nice to see what Lawrence can do when given the chance. Looking like a nice signing. Seems to fit well. Don't know why he was only getting cameo appearances before tonight??

I know they were poor but a few players looked like the players we expected them to be . Hope this is the start of vydras confidence in his ability he seemed to have lacked since his signing. Got to mention Bairds long balls ?

keogh not a foot wrong 

nugent linking up nicely.

A confident Martin and it would have been 6-0

5-0 though COYR

1 hour ago, Dava75 said:

I love the fact that you've missed out the goal where we did in fact rip them to shreds. ?? 

Bris is a bit of a prat on occasions really - just ignore him when he gets a bee in his bonnet and starts over-analysing things.

An odd but fantastically enjoyable night. A game of attacking to and fro, of similar attacking impetus on both sides, where we buried our chances and Hull, for whatever reason, spurned theirs.

We could play the same way another 10 times and it could finish anything between 0-0 and 5-5. Many plus points for me, but the main ones being we're starting to concentrate on GR's "smaller squad". Players knowing their roles, and the new emergence of a hardcore 11.

I think GR's starting to fit square pegs in square holes. Some of the old automatic choices who've been "1 in 3" players, but played more for reputation and size of transfer fee, ( essentially why we've been under-performing ) are now on the bench in favour of a more hard-nosed approach of playing more hard-working players in their natural positions.

There'll be winners and losers in this system but I see a tighter-knit team developing. GR's brave enough to leave star players on the bench to suit his system. And with a more consistent team selection, certain players are starting to grow into their regular roles and develop the confidence to blossom with GR's faith in them, unlike previously where we had an embarrassment of expensive players who weren't sure where they fitted in with the constant succession of managers and styles.

Players who particularly seem to be coming to the fore are Vydra, Nugent, Keogh, Johnson and Baird. Couple these with our summer signings, and they seem to be showing signs of gelling well. An expensive sprinkle of Lawrence seems to be a brilliant addition. 

The old guard of Martin and Russell seem to be  busting a gut to prove themselves when they get on. Johnson seems like a man reprieved from Death Row with the collapse of the Kieftenbeld transfer and we may well look back on that transfer faux pas as a blessing in the long run.

Sometimes small is beautiful ( ask the OH :-) ). I'm liking GR's concentration and focus on a tighter-knit squad. The less we meddle the stronger we seem to get. Most promotion winning teams of the last few years played a week in week out line-up.

We have some very decent players. Like in any work place they just need to feel a valuable part of the team to perform - and have clearly defined roles.

Less is more. Feeling more optimistic than I can remember in a long time.....

45 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Have to say there were a lot of good performances, but Keogh was just immemse tonight. Nothing was going to get past him. We're really fortunate to have such a fine centre half at this level.

I thought Davies was the better of the 2 tonight, which says a lot because Keogh was once again incredible.

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I thought Davies was the better of the 2 tonight, which says a lot because Keogh was once again incredible.

I thought it was Davies's best game by miles for 70 minutes. Really struggled at the end after getting a knock.

Keogh imperious. 

Yes like many has said on here, a really good performance, what I enjoyed tonight was our slick fast movement and passing, Vydra and Nugent are forming a great partnership, Lawrence had a great first start, his crossing is on the money, he also knows when to take his man on, and when to play the pass, Johnson was like a Ox in midfield and our centre backs were solid, really enjoyed tonight's game, smaller crowd, but less moaning and more positive support and the noise from the crowd was better than the last couple of home games, lets keep driving the team on, because belieave it or not, a positive atmosphere does help the team.

Archived