Online fanbase, more harm than good?

Day

What I find most surprising, and depressing, is the way opinion tanks after a defeat. While we're winning nobody reacts, even when we are playing poorly. One bad result, even after a positive performance, and we know that it'll be a busy time moderating the inevitable meltdown.

I wondering other teams have the same Jekyll and Hyde fan base? One week we're going to be promoted, the next we need a full rebuild.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

What I find most surprising, and depressing, is the way opinion tanks after a defeat. While we're winning nobody reacts, even when we are playing poorly. One bad result, even after a positive performance, and we know that it'll be a busy time moderating the inevitable meltdown.

I wondering other teams have the same Jekyll and Hyde fan base? One week we're going to be promoted, the next we need a full rebuild.

Keeps you in work, doesn't it?

Not paid work obviously, but it all goes on the CV, surely.

2 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Not dead at 32 I hope? :lol:

Just made me Google at what age did God die, did he go at 32? All I can find is what is death and his soul lives on.

This forum wouldn't live on without me.

It's an interesting reflection of society - in my humble opinion. Even in the real world - good managers are people who can see a challenge and flip it into a positive, and enthuse people to follow them in their crusade to realise that possibility.

The fact of the matter is most people are not managers, and many managers are not good ones. So - when you see something you don't like - you set to explain to everyone why it wouldn't be like that if it was up to you. Sometimes the vitriol may have very little do with football. 

Thats my take - to ask all people to be reasoned is to ask the majority to stop being themselves.

Just now, David said:

Just made me Google at what age did God die, did he go at 32? All I can find is what is death and his soul lives on.

This forum wouldn't live on without me.

Was jc who went in his early 30s. 32 give or take.

I think God himself endures eternally. 

A bit like Toddy and Ninos ill will towards Chris Martin. 

JC may have gone early but he did come back after 3 days or something. So there's an example to follow :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

Thats my take - to ask all people to be reasoned is to ask the majority to stop being themselves.

Would never want members to stop being themselves, question is are they being themselves?

Do they believe half of what they write, but or is to live up to the character they have built online, knowing they will get a reaction, attention?

Or would they genuinely love to see the club/players fail rather than succeed to prove they were right?

I genuinely believe we have a good forum here. There are significant differences of opinion and some strongly held beliefs. All on open show. I don't see a sanitised group. 

Some of us stick to football but we drift in to politics and all sorts. 99% of the time we seem, even in the worst cases, to "agree to disagree" (well ok the occasional civilised sulk, me included ) 

We have a few openly far lefties and maybe the odd little englander but the screaming bigots are kept in check by the common sense spouted by the majority. And note ... Humour beats outrage every time.

i do have a gripe when we get on a particular players back and almost write them off as human beings just because either they haven't performed well or don't fit in the style of play we have at the moment. It's plain daft. I am willing to bet most of the squad don't even think about their fancy motors when the whistle blows for kick off. They want to do well, advance their careers and get the plaudits from the crowd .. Who wouldn't ? 

David .. You've done a great job. it is possible to please most people some of the time but you'll never please all of the people all of the time.

anyway .. Works for me mate. Only thing I'd like is a forum meet/dinner one day (  no riffraff of course :p ) and I still haven't joined properly yet .. Remind me .. How do I subscribe ? 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Works for me mate. Only thing I'd like is a forum meet/dinner one day (  no riffraff of course :p ) and I still haven't joined properly yet .. Remind me .. How do I subscribe ? 

29th January 2019 we will have been online 10 years. 

I have plans or should I say an idea of organising a meet up for that, see if the club will let us use Pride Park (not the pitch), sausages and username badges.

10 years, blimey. ?

The OP raises some very good points about the potentially damaging nature of some of our criticism of our own players on this site. It seems plausible that such criticism could have a negative effect on a player's confidence as well as on player's reputation, which could impact our ability to offload players deemed surplus to requirements by our management. Definitely food for thought for most of us on this forum.

However, the OP also seemed to be a thinly veiled attack on dogs for their lack of economic nous as well as a lament for the lack of decent and durable dog toys.

On the plus side, it does appear that @jono has invited the entire forum out for dinner. I assume that means he is buying.

People love to moan. People love to moan, complain, troll and pretend to be somebody else over the internet because they can. People review places they've visited and stayed or things they've bought online and are much more likely to do so if they have a bad experience rather than a good experience. It's the same with football. You just need to look at the matchday threads after a win compared to a loss. When nothing bad happens, there's nothing to talk about. A player can have 9 good games in a row unnoticed, then after the 10th game where they have a stinker there's a thread berating them.

Forums tend to be the most balanced platform to discuss football, and that's saying something. I like Twitter, it's extremely useful but make sure you avoid the comments of anything Derby related like the plague if you want to keep your sanity. That's where the real idiots are. The one's who personally abuse players behind an alter ego. I've seen actual accounts named "ClinicalBennett" and "VintageVydra" dedicated to players who will have their girlfriends abused by the same people if they have a bad game. It's pathetic and in some cases it's spilled over to this forum, which thankfully isn't taken too well, which is one reason why I think this is quite a balanced place to discuss DCFC.

If I were a player there's absolutely no chance I would be on social media. What benefits can it really bring? You open yourself up to abuse by so called fans and that's going to be even more detrimental to you as a person. I've never booed a player or tweeted them "you're s****". I didn't celebrate Nick Blackman being loaned out or tweet Richard Keogh's wife to let her know my opinion on her husband. None of that is going to have a positive impact, so why bother? I like seeing constructive debates on this forum about a player or a style of play/formation, it's the pointless, unconstructive comments I have no time for and which lowers the IQ of the forum.

Sadly some people can now take up personal vendettas against players on the internet behind screen names and profile pictures, whereas in real life they wouldn't dare say a bad word to the face of the player they seem to hate so much.

Just wrote a huge long spiel which I've deleted and I'll instead just say that this is a well run and moderated forum, way better than others I've seen. It's no coincidence that it is so well frequented. As for the comments about players, managers, owners, well folk here know what I think about some of the criticism they receive but for the forum to work there must be balance and that means having a diverse set of opinions. To my mind, this platform is so far removed from the digital detritus of networks such as Twitter that thankfully, no sensible comparisons can be drawn and while some payers attract too much criticism IMO, it's very seldom at a level where I'd feel too uncomfortable. 

The variance in opinion is certainly one of the main factors I use the forum. Whilst I might query and debate with other users on why they hold a certain view point, it's certainly interesting to hear other people's opinions which may have not occurred to me at all. 

Whilst I've been an avid supporter of Martin, I can certainly see merit in some of the arguments against him starting for him, it hasn't changed my mind however it was the case that it made me see their point of reasoning. (Of course, excluding the ''he's fat'' arguments :lol:). 

2 hours ago, David said:

29th January 2019 we will have been online 10 years. 

I have plans or should I say an idea of organising a meet up for that, see if the club will let us use Pride Park (not the pitch), sausages and username badges.

10 years, blimey. ?

Name badges at PP.  Can see it now, like wildebeest over the African plains. Some of the names on here, it'll be worth it seeing the owners of their name proudly displaying their thoughtfully punned title. 

In terms of this ere site, been fantastic for me as a 'foreign' fan (Stockport) to at least get to converse with Rams. My days out in Derby,after the fourth pint, tend to revolve around the ale more than the football club. 

Being an IT technophobe I tip my hat to you Dave for all your efforts and all those involved in maintaining what is a most commendable forum. I do look forward to a good scan of everyone's thoughts. Top marks :yes:

Archived