Online fanbase, more harm than good?

Day

I'm not sure what a fan is any more. (Back in my day) You supported the team where you were from, and that was absolutely that. You'd sort of have a little smile and ears that didn't really listen when they piped up with "I'm a ************** fan"

This appears to have been amplified even more these days with some people (I won't call them fans) jumping from one team to another.

Consequently, (scratches small beard on chin and nods a bit) fan quality overall has gone down.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I greatly appreciate this forum. I was on the old DET forum, only posted a few times as posts got jumped on and left me feeling I really had little right to an opinion. Nearly 1500 posts on here!

i don't like blocking people in case I miss something interesting, but I know which posters will have slanging matches or keep repeating themselves ad nauseum, so I just scroll through to where it gets interesting again.

I'm sure if you asked the whole Derby squad only one or two would've even heard of this forum, never mind read it. Only the egotistical players such as Savage would be sad enough with their millions to go searching for opinions of themselves.

Twitter though I do agree can be harmful from trolls, but if players aren't thick skinned enough to get stick then don't have a public profile. Privacy settings are there for a reason.

2 hours ago, David said:

The only rule I have personally put in place is the no personal insults, that's simply an attempt to keep this forum a friendly place to visit. 

i reckon you should have a free for all evening/day. Locked off to visitors, where members can abuse ONLY other members (nobody famous). I think to take part, a member has to donate to a charity of your choice, and they get that time to abuse everyone within the post. Just to vent like. Disabling the swear filter too.

Just now, Moist One said:

i reckon you should have a free for all evening/day. Locked off to visitors, where members can abuse ONLY other members (nobody famous). I think to take part, a member has to donate to a charity of your choice, and they get that time to abuse everyone within the post. Just to vent like.

You can do that anytime via private message if you have 2 willing opponents wanting to have it out.

6 minutes ago, David said:

You can do that anytime via private message if you have 2 willing opponents wanting to have it out.

I quite like the idea of a forum purge. Like a better version of that naff film from a few years ago.

220px-The_Purge_poster.jpg

There's no end of recognisable usernames on here that I recognise from other crazy, wild, "MAD" forums.. :ph34r:

That became hostile not just about the players but due to the falling out of posters, including one mod in particular. What I really like about this forum is that everyone's opinion, no matter what, is valued and debated, rather than laughed at, even if it's completely against the grain of what everyone else thinks. It's well moderated and the engagement level is huge.

I'm also starting to really like the twitter fanbase too. Yes there's idiots, but there are a few accounts on there that are genuinely passionate about the club, no end of podcasts sprouting up, and lots of users that generate discussion, which is hard to do on Twitter.

1. I rarely post, but I really enjoy reading this forum.  There's a lot of wit, some good banter and some occasional insights.  I occasionally look at opposing teams' sites and more often than not they're full of vitriol and sometimes very offensive language.  The rules on dcfcfans - plus the work of the mods - mean this doesn't happen here.

2. This forum makes me feel part of a broad DCFC fanbase - the friends I go to games with are not as "Derby-mad" as I am - so it's good to use this forum to connect with others that are "more mad" than I am.

3. My personal view on what to post....  If you had to include your full name and address on a post, would you still make the post?  If not then it probably means you shouldn't make the post.

David - don't get despondent and please keep up the good work!

I have just seen the new terms and conditions. Does the following clause mean that we cannot denigrate Forest and any other club? Can we have an exception that applies to posts about football clubs and their fans?

Surely, a fair proportion of us don't mind "disparaging" posts with some "systematic discrimination" towards some "groups" such as Forest, other teams and their fans. 

Content that incites hatred against, promotes discrimination of, or disparages an individual or group on the basis of ... other characteristic that is associated with systemic discrimination or marginalization

In line with the new terms, may I take the opportunity to congratulate Forest on the start to the season ... and wish all their amazing fans a successful season.

I'm not sure that this new approach will catch on!

I find this forum a very good positive place full of people who care deeply about DCFC.

People always see different things even when looking at the same picture.

I'm sure the club can filter out information that is useful,it's got to  be a good tool for them in certain areas.

I'm fairly sure that the club monitors social media like this forum very closely.

Anyone with any common sense should find this forum 99% good and if you don't it's not compulsory.

On 21 August 2017 at 17:48, David said:

Using this post as a starting point for a new discussion

Blimey, did I really set off this maelstrom.......

Awful wording by myself when I said "this website". Apologies. Should have said something like "this internet/online age". 

That wording probably reflects on my age and naivety to the online world. I don't go on Facebook or twitter, only sites I visit are BBC/Guardian/DET/DCFC fans, the latter representing maybe 95% of my online activity. And thats because its such a fantastic website for people passionate about the Rams. Its unbelievably good. Astonishingly so. Life would be poorer for its absence. 

What I was trying to say is that maybe the best way to gauge how we are doing is to ask people who are totally independant of Derby County. That maybe the last people we should ask are folks who are so vociferous in their opinions, either way,  that they have to be discounted. Like us on DCFC fans. That possibly the best view is from those who are actually biased against us. Like opposition fans. 

That was all it was. 

Didn't intend to open a Pandora's box on the meaning of life. 

But, like most on here, happy to share my views on that also if called upon. 

from somebody who doesn't post too much i do enjoy reading through the forum and have a laugh at some of the stuff posted here. when it comes to criticising the team/an individual i'm all for people voicing their opinions which can spark a good conversation as long as it is constructive and not just saying so and so is s*** and that's that. personally i like to have the view of if i wouldn't say it to someones face then i won't say it at all be it down the pub or on a forum:)

Archived