Jonny Russell

Ramslayer

25 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Possibly Sam Rush because his agency contacts weren't involved. :ph34r:

Pearson turned it down.

Player wanted it, and had agreed terms, but Pearson was adamant he wanted to keep him.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to give JR a chance this season under a manager that believes in his ability. But I think it's time for him to be dropped.

He was so idle yesterday, looks unfit, which I never thought I'd say about JR. Obvious runs down the channel but he just stands there demanding the ball at his feet. He used to be all about running at defenders, what's changed? 

I hope he can return to his best but I think Lawrence may take his spot. Don't get me wrong, Weimann was just as bad but at least he made runs and created space for other players. 

It's ridiculous how thread bare we are outwide at the moment.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Pearson turned it down.

Player wanted it, and had agreed terms, but Pearson was adamant he wanted to keep him.

My comment was tongue in cheek as you probably suspected but yours surprises me. I personally like JR. In my opinion, everything Pearson did was to the detriment of Derby County. 

I would love to offload him but it will be impossible. No Championship club in their right mind would pay a fee for him and he is probably on a contract that will make it hard for League One teams to come in for him. It is not that he is rubbish but if any of you get the chance to watch a few of our old games from last season and even in our first game this season, you can see the obvious frustration the other Derby players feel every time he misses a finish or kicks the ball away. 

Everyone slates Weimann off and yes he may be as bad as Russell but I would be saying the same about Weimann if he played nearly every game last season. 

Does the same things he's always done. Was never that good and isn't that bad

Only he does it deeper now because of the new rule about Derby players crossing the halfway line. Only in pairs lads and only if the ball is in the clouds

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

He'll be alright this season, I reckon. Once we get going and get out of this god awful system a lot of our players that look average right now will look a lot better.

Johnson, Butterfield, Martin, Russell, Anya, Weimann, Bryson, Forsyth, Wisdom...

I don't believe one of those is a bad player, I really don't. But in a dysfunctional 4-3-3 that asks them to do stuff they're s**** at and leaves the attackers to do it all on their own, they do look like bad players.

I'm all for criticising the recent performances because they've been s**** but Russell's actually been one of the better players.

He was productive under Rowett at the end of last season, a goal and an assist in what had been a s**** year for him and he's the only one who's conjured up a bit of magic this season to set up the goal against Sunderland.

If he still plays like yesterday when we get going as a team in a different formation, then by all means get rid but until then he's probably worth keeping around.

Bang on mate.

He should stay and could easily have a good season if we get the balance right in the team. He is still the best wide player we currently have and maybe even if we sign Lawrence as you never know how players will do but even then he may be the second best we have, Anya is no more than a bench warmer and wieman rarely produces anything sadly and Bennett yes give him a chance and use him wisely but Russell really should have his contract extended for selling and contribution reasons because as people have noted a team who got promoted from our division offered £4.5 million last season before the transfer market went stupid, what would be his value in today's money? I would keep him until we have better players on both flanks which we do not yet. Even if players come in they need to prove themselves worthy on the pitch.

Must say despite some sub par performances i do like Russel.I like his attitude his selflessness and his commitment.

He always tries 100 per cent and to my mind looking around at his team mates its an attitude thats not shared by some.When he loses the ball or miss places a pass he,ll scrap to make amends,he,s still got pace and an eye for goal as he had our best,only,chance saturday.To me he,s our best wideman by a country mile and if we ever get a creative mid to supply him he,ll be back to his old self.

Told you i like him!

Obviously lacing in confidence. Needs a new club. The amount of times he lacks conviction in a promising position makes a normal person go insane. On Saturday it was like he was passing the shot at goal just to make sure it's on target.

11 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

Must say despite some sub par performances i do like Russel.I like his attitude his selflessness and his commitment.

He always tries 100 per cent and to my mind looking around at his team mates its an attitude thats not shared by some.When he loses the ball or miss places a pass he,ll scrap to make amends,he,s still got pace and an eye for goal as he had our best,only,chance saturday.To me he,s our best wideman by a country mile and if we ever get a creative mid to supply him he,ll be back to his old self.

Told you i like him!

Really though???  He lost the ball a lot on Saturday and I can't recall too many times when he successfully got it back.  I also seem to remember his man, being completely unmarked at the back stick for their first goal.  People have been cutting him slack for the past year cus he grafts and runs around a a lot, but if you stuck any fan on the pitch in his place, that's the minimum we'd do ourselves...

Time to get rid, he cost (I think) around £750k, I'd take a small loss and get rid for half that...

I have no problem with Russell other than he needs to shoot more often. I've been saying that for a while now.

How our fans have singled him out for criticism when he's having to deal with s**** passes from Johnson and Butterfield fails to spot his runs time and time again, astounds me.

Yet again, two games into the season our pathetic fans are on a players back and knocking his confidence further.

The same fans who were probably raving about him for a week after that strike against Forest.

He's capable, he's a good player to have and loves Derby. Get behind him and yes, he will come good again.

49 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

Told you i like him!

You're clearly no Crossword. A mate of mine :ph34r: called Swearword thinks he is a useless xxxxxxx xxxx. Me, l think he is just perhaps worth having on the bench, but of all the current Rams players he is the one that frustrates me most.

Archived