Jonny Russell

Ramslayer

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Shouldn't even be in the team. Should have been sold / given away after last seasons horror show. Is this his final season on his contract? 

Yes thank goodness, we should have sold him for some money if we could imo. No doubt he'll keep his place in the team despite doing nothing of note since 2015 mind

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Yes thank goodness, we should have sold him for some money if we could imo. No doubt he'll keep his place in the team despite doing nothing of note since 2015 mind

I swear The Sun reported we turned down a 4m bid from Brighton last season? Crazy if true. 

I like Johnny alot, he seems like a cracking bloke and genuinely gives his all every game he plays. 

Unfortunately he just doesn't have the ability to Back up his effort in this league, he's bottom half championship/ top half league 1 standard all day long.

We need to move on from him and he probably needs the move to get his career back on track, he's become stagnant at Derby

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Seem to remember that but can't remember when? Was it under Pearson?

"The Rams rejected a £4.5m deadline day bid from promotion rivals Brighton for the Scotland International who has lees than two years remaining on his current deal."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1776294/johnny-russell-summer-move-to-bighton-blocked-blocked-by-derby-on-deadline-day/

2 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

"The Rams rejected a £4.5m deadline day bid from promotion rivals Brighton for the Scotland International who has lees than two years remaining on his current deal."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1776294/johnny-russell-summer-move-to-bighton-blocked-blocked-by-derby-on-deadline-day/

Should have sold him then, would have stopped Brighton going up as well:lol:

The reason Brighton bid £4m at the time was because he was coming back from a season where he had 10 goals and 8 assists to his name. 

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Russell, but he's still quite clearly our best winger. Although, I think that highlights just why one wide man probably won't be enough. 

He'll be alright this season, I reckon. Once we get going and get out of this god awful system a lot of our players that look average right now will look a lot better.

Johnson, Butterfield, Martin, Russell, Anya, Weimann, Bryson, Forsyth, Wisdom...

I don't believe one of those is a bad player, I really don't. But in a dysfunctional 4-3-3 that asks them to do stuff they're s**** at and leaves the attackers to do it all on their own, they do look like bad players.

I'm all for criticising the recent performances because they've been s**** but Russell's actually been one of the better players.

He was productive under Rowett at the end of last season, a goal and an assist in what had been a s**** year for him and he's the only one who's conjured up a bit of magic this season to set up the goal against Sunderland.

If he still plays like yesterday when we get going as a team in a different formation, then by all means get rid but until then he's probably worth keeping around.

Last year of his contract. Last chance to prove he's up for it. 

For me, he's arguably the most frustrating Derby player to watch of them all. So many glimpses of genuine quality. A great turn. A gorgeous first touch. A neat cut inside his man. Only for them all to be followed by a disastrous run into the only opposition player around. Or a stray past when we're four-on-one. Or a shot blasted over the bar that my Nan could have slotted home comfortably like she's Ruud van Nistelrooy. 

Last year of his contract. Last chance for me. 

Archived