Derby County v Preston North End

Mafiabob

2 hours ago, DCFC4LIFE said:

Martin

Lawrence                                                        Russell

Forsyth                                Johnson                  Bryson                 Anya

Davies                     Keogh                 Wisdom

Carson 

Thoughts?

Carson up front - finally the big target man we've been looking for! Plus, Martin's diving pedigree can be put to good use, diving for shots on goal. 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever we do, we must have 2 upfront / close support for Martin. Nuge or Vydra 

i'd like to see Elsnik to give the midfield some poise and pace and maybe it is time to give Mason a start.

after that ... Lap of the football gods. .. The team need a decent win and the crowd with them. We will kick on ! COYR

Hopefully we don't play 4-3-3 again. I don't really understand why we keep persisting with it after either selling or injuring all the players we need to make it work effectively. 

@Squid Can he only play one game before his body completely falls apart? He had 5 bags of ice on his body after the Sunderland game and was a doubt for Grimsby (in which he didn't play). Hopefully he doesn't join Max and George on the "permanently injured" list of players we seem to be building.

9 minutes ago, GenBr said:

@Squid Can he only play one game before his body completely falls apart? He had 5 bags of ice on his body after the Sunderland game and was a doubt for Grimsby (in which he didn't play). Hopefully he doesn't join Max and George on the "permanently injured" list of players we seem to be building.

Is the answer yes?

I'd like to see us give 3-5-2 a try, as 4-3-3 obviously doesn't suit our midfield options and our wingers are rubbish, plus Martin is our best forward but needs players near him to be effective.

GK) Carson

RCB) Wisdom

CB) Keogh

LCB) Davies

RWB) ? Anya?

LWB) Forsyth

DM) Huddlestone

CM) Butterfield

CM) Johnson/Bryson

CF) Martin

CF) Vydra

37 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I'd like to see us give 3-5-2 a try, as 4-3-3 obviously doesn't suit our midfield options and our wingers are rubbish, plus Martin is our best forward but needs players near him to be effective.

GK) Carson

RCB) Wisdom

CB) Keogh

LCB) Davies

RWB) ? Anya?

LWB) Forsyth

DM) Huddlestone

CM) Butterfield

CM) Johnson/Bryson

CF) Martin

CF) Vydra

It's what I'd personally look at because I feel it suits a lot of our players and mitigates our issues out wide.

Wisdom is pretty much a centre back doing a job at right back for me and I think would look more effective in a back 3. A back 3 gives keogh more license to break out of defence and distribute. Davies has played as part of a back three at Hull.

Anya has played as a wing back before and Forsyth used to be a winger, these two would provide us with width and have the energy to get up and down the line. 

With three in midfield and three behind him, Huddlestone can do what he does best pinging passes from the middle of the park. Bryson would be able to break free from midfield and join the attack. Whilst Butterfield helps nit things together. 

We also get to provide Martin with support and pair him with Vydra which I think has potential to be very effective.

Whoever we put out, I hope it's 4-2-3-1. That doesn't mean changing it to 4-2-3-1 and putting Johnson wide left, as Rowett - like Clement sometimes - seems to fancy. 

If fit it'd be nice to see Vydra in. If not then Nugent in behind Martin or even Weimann as the n.10. Weimann is a central man, not a winger, after all. 

Would also like to see Anya or Bennett get a game ahead of one of the wingers, as Lawrence can't play. They must both question how they can get in the side if Russell and Weimann continue to put in poor performances from out wide yet retain their place. Same goes for Bryson regarding the midfield. I remember him looking decent in the 4-2-3-1 a couple of times pre season, but obviously against poor opposition. 

Need to switch to 4-2-3-1 to hide our weaknesses.

Our wingers aren't effective enough to carry our attack in a 4-3-3 and our midfielders aren't athletic enough to help them out in that formation either.

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth

Huddlestone Bryson

Anya Nugent Weimann

Martin

I'd go with Vydra over Nuge but I doubt he'll be fit.

19 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Need to switch to 4-2-3-1 to hide our weaknesses.

Our wingers aren't effective enough to carry our attack in a 4-3-3 and our midfielders aren't athletic enough to help them out in that formation either.

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth

Huddlestone Bryson

Anya Nugent Weimann

Martin

I'd go with Vydra over Nuge but I doubt he'll be fit.

Seems a good plan and I agree. Would go with Benett over wiemann though.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Butterfield and Martin dropped. Forsyth missing from the whole squad .... injured? 

Rowett said last week maybe unfair to ask Fozzy to do a 3 game week at this stage.

Although he also said it was unlikely a player could miss Sat but be ready for Tues.

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Butterfield and Martin dropped. Forsyth missing from the whole squad .... injured? 

I follow Forsyth's missus on social media and I know she's been up in London so I'm not sure if Craig is possibly looking after their little one. Think Gary is making a big mistake not playing Bryson on the start though

More optimistic at that team, especially with Vydra back and the fact huddlestone has made it. Forsyth and butter field were dire on Saturday, especially the former so big surprised he's gone completely- tho Olsson ain't any better tbh. Nugent is an interesting one, maybe his experience with Vydra means he's selected?

Archived