2 Match Suspension for Martin?

DCFC1388

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is this an FA crackdown or a world crackdown? If it's the FA only who is doing this, then England will continue to be duped in major tournaments by nations who still dive (although we actually have to have a good national team for this to matter!!) 

I agree though, bad news for Chrissy

There's diving and then there's going down under minimal contact.

It's very difficult to prove and draw the line when it comes to how little contact it takes for someone to go over. If you start saying it's diving if the ref feels he could have stayed on his feet... well that's a lot of diving from all players. If you stay on your feet then you never get a penalty which is ridiculous when someone is obstructing you 

Diving is far too ambiguous in most cases. There are the obvious ones where players fling themselves to the ground under zero contact, and that's fair enough, but I don't think I've ever seen Martin do that.

He goes down very easily, but I wouldn't call that a dive. Try and find a player who hasn't gone down under contact where they could have stayed up if they tried. Referees often don't give free-kicks unless it's clear there's been a foul and that's why Martin is smart. He makes it as clear as he can. 

There was a situation last season, I think it was Sterling vs Spurs. He was through on goal and got a shove in the back but didn't go down. Instead he took the shot off balance and completely mis-hit it. If he went down it would have been a penalty. He stayed on his feet and got nothing. Going down would not have been a dive, even though the contact wasn't actually enough to cause him to fall. 

I think these are most of the situations Martin finds himself. He's very physical and with defenders on his back he goes down. He's being impeded by them so he makes it clear. I don't think he would get caught out very often with bans just from how he plays.

PistoldPete2
5 hours ago, Kernow said:

Diving is far too ambiguous in most cases. There are the obvious ones where players fling themselves to the ground under zero contact, and that's fair enough, but I don't think I've ever seen Martin do that.

He goes down very easily, but I wouldn't call that a dive. Try and find a player who hasn't gone down under contact where they could have stayed up if they tried. Referees often don't give free-kicks unless it's clear there's been a foul and that's why Martin is smart. He makes it as clear as he can. 

There was a situation last season, I think it was Sterling vs Spurs. He was through on goal and got a shove in the back but didn't go down. Instead he took the shot off balance and completely mis-hit it. If he went down it would have been a penalty. He stayed on his feet and got nothing. Going down would not have been a dive, even though the contact wasn't actually enough to cause him to fall. 

I think these are most of the situations Martin finds himself. He's very physical and with defenders on his back he goes down. He's being impeded by them so he makes it clear. I don't think he would get caught out very often with bans just from how he plays.

I agree with all of this, but once a player gets a reputation then he is at risk of being targeted by referrees. That's what happened to martin at burnnley, and why he doesn't get as many free kicks as he should.

Definitely goes down under minimal contact...constantly backs-in and then when he receives the ball and gets pushed he falls forward and gets soft free kicks. 

Diving would suggest he is skipping past players ala Bale and Sterling and leaving a leg...not really his game!

15 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Definitely goes down under minimal contact...constantly backs-in and then when he receives the ball and gets pushed he falls forward and gets soft free kicks. 

Diving would suggest he is skipping past players ala Bale and Sterling and leaving a leg...not really his game!

Martin skipping? Hahahaha more like a juggernaut (if he can get the momentum going that is) 

Archived