Mason Bennett

admira

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

It really is that awful. He has played most of his career as a striker in the lower levels of football (that low that he even went to Jockland for a while) and still only managed 50 odd goals in 10 years..!! 

But you specifically mentioned his stats at Reading, where he played as a winger. Regardless of whether you like him or not, 18 in 100 isn't awful. It's not amazing but it's not awful.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

But you specifically mentioned his stats at Reading, where he played as a winger. Regardless of whether you like him or not, 18 in 100 isn't awful. It's not amazing but it's not awful.

When you consider he scored 10 goals in 10 games it is. 8 in 93 games is bad.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

When you consider he scored 10 goals in 10 games it is. 8 in 93 games is bad.

When you consider that he's scored 45 League Goals in just 120 League starts, then that's pretty damn good.

Add in 7 goals from 21 FA Cup/League Cup starts, and that's even better.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=45922

LEAGUE           FA CUP          LGE CUP        OTHER
   APPS       GLS    APPS    GLS    APPS    GLS    APPS    GLS

120(97)     45      10(5)      3       11(1)      4        1(1)      0

Nick Blackman is the same as any other player - give him a consistent run of games in a settled side, and you'll get the best out of him.

He got his move to Reading after just half a season at Sheff. Utd where he scored 14 goals in 32 League and Cup starts, in just five and a half months.

In his first two and a half seasons at Reading, he only had 28 starts, against 50 substitute appearances, and only scored 7 times. When he started consistently, in the 2015/16 season he netted 11 times from 23 starts, before his move to Derby.

But why should we give him a chance? That's not 'the Derby Way' is it. Let's BOO him instead.

32 minutes ago, mice_elf said:

When you consider that he's scored 45 League Goals in just 120 League starts, then that's pretty damn good.

Add in 7 goals from 21 FA Cup/League Cup starts, and that's even better.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=45922

LEAGUE           FA CUP          LGE CUP        OTHER
   APPS       GLS    APPS    GLS    APPS    GLS    APPS    GLS

120(97)     45      10(5)      3       11(1)      4        1(1)      0

Nick Blackman is the same as any other player - give him a consistent run of games in a settled side, and you'll get the best out of him.

He got his move to Reading after just half a season at Sheff. Utd where he scored 14 goals in 32 League and Cup starts, in just five and a half months.

In his first two and a half seasons at Reading, he only had 28 starts, against 50 substitute appearances, and only scored 7 times. When he started consistently, in the 2015/16 season he netted 11 times from 23 starts, before his move to Derby.

But why should we give him a chance? That's not 'the Derby Way' is it. Let's BOO him instead.

If he is so good why hasn't he started more games in his career? How many of those goals were at this level? He had half a good season at Sheffield Utd in League 1, then struggled at Championship Reading where other than a 10 game run where he scored 10 goals he scored 8 goals in 93 games. No matter how you dress it up it is not good.

23 hours ago, rammieib said:

Give up. You want promotion and Bennett who in six years has contributed nothing to be a prominent player.

You can't have both!!

Sooner we release this guy the better, then the distraction of failed promise can be lifted.

Bit harsh but I can see where you are coming from. Mason was the typical early developer at school and bossed everything, now the others have caught up, not showing so much promise. However he has had injuries and no luck but the lack of impact when out on loan is the big worry.. If he wants to play first team football here, he should be making more of his opportunities.. I would love to see him come good. I remember the day at Peterborough when he and Hughes made their debuts.. Great day. Clough s greatest attribute, giving youth a chance.

TobyWanKenobi
21 hours ago, RamBamFan said:

For those saying Bennett has not had a chance, he's made 64 league appearances in his career so far and scored 3 goals. 

Sixty four. 

That's a hell of a lot for a 20-year-old. Three goals though is not a hell of a lot. 

Sure a lot of those will be sub appearances but I think people need to accept he's not the 'next Jamie Vardy' as someone put a few posts ago. 

I suspect 50+ of those appearances were as a substitute. Would be a bit harsh to write him off yet.

I don't rate him. I think he has a lot of energy and tries to be physical but it doesn't seem to work and a lot of the time he either concedes a free kick or ends up on the floor. A bit of a shame because I would love nothing more than our academy to keep producing potential first team players. 

I have said before that we should only be playing players who earn a place in the team. Not because they are still young and come from the academy. 

Like what @Angry Ram said he was probably an early developer and the rest have caught up and the move from playing in his own age group into the mens team has found his true level.

I think he'll get an opportunity. Up to him to now show what he can do.

johnny russell was disappointing last season, and anya doesn't seem to be able to grab a first team place. It will be interesting to see whether weimann can feature (if here), but there is more scope for bennett to play than previously.

1 hour ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

I suspect 50+ of those appearances were as a substitute. Would be a bit harsh to write him off yet.

Football is about taking your chances. His appearances may not have been full 90 minutes. But if you were to tally up how many minutes he played from the bench it would soon add up. 

4 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Bit harsh but I can see where you are coming from. Mason was the typical early developer at school and bossed everything, now the others have caught up, not showing so much promise. However he has had injuries and no luck but the lack of impact when out on loan is the big worry.. If he wants to play first team football here, he should be making more of his opportunities.. I would love to see him come good. I remember the day at Peterborough when he and Hughes made their debuts.. Great day. Clough s greatest attribute, giving youth a chance.

Yep I was there that day - thing is I remember Hughes coming on but not Bennett. Even remember the result sadly. However those facts in themselves give credence to why he should leave.

Big big season for Mason. He's got to deliver if he gets the chance. If not, he may have to take the ballsy decision to mutually cancel his contract and go down the leagues to kickstart his career.

When Mac was here first time, he was on the fringes of the first team, remember him coming on against Blackburn, skinning a full back and laying a tap in on a plate for Bent or Bryson. 

We'll have to ship some people out for him to have a chance though. But never say never, I've said this before but i remember Sturridge trying to make a loan move to Torquay permanent as he wasn't playing, Derby had injuries at start of 95/96 season, Sturridge scored 20 goals and rest is history.

Or he could be another Lee Holmes or Izale McLeod.

On 27/06/2017 at 17:16, Rample said:

It's all about time and place, but for injuries to our strikers Dean Sturridge would have been shipped off to Torquay.

Danny Graham got lucky the same way, was on the verge of leaving Boro and dropping to league 2 but got a sub appearance in Europe due to injuries, scored, and rightly or not was elevated to a £5m player.

On the other hand someone like Marvin Robinson did well when he joined Stoke on loan, looked sharp and scored, they wanted to sign permanently but our manager also thought he had a future. Robinson broke his leg immediately after and nothing happened for him after that.

Is Bennett any worse than Camara, probably not, so worth letting him play that 4th choice winger role this season, and see if he gets that moment to kick start his career. He is not however a player yet to count as a first teamer, and I wouldn't want him as first cover for the wide attackers.

This.

Football's about circumstance as much as it is ability.

What if Ince was the Man United loanee and Lingard from Hull?

What if Leicester had convinced Cambiasso to stay or Veretout to sign? No Kante and he's probably still a nobody in France. 

What if Thorne never does his first ACL just as he's breaking through at West Brom? 

What if we never sign Barker and leaving Blackpool without the cash to sign the unfancied Charlie Adam? 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/07/bennetts-birthday-delight

Says he was told he'll be staying with the first team for this season, which is certainly good news, I really want to see what he can do this season. I like how he says he's fed up of being just a prospect, seems to have the correct attitude required to take it further. Good luck to the lad, now Hughes is gone, can he fly the flag for our academy? 

Archived