Mason Bennett

admira

He's clearly struggled with his devolpment the last few years, you would have expected him to have pushed on to many more games, especially with our struggles in finding a decent wing partner for ince in recent times. Loan moves at the level below failing have me skeptical if he'll ever make it, but he seems to have done well at the back end of the last season so hopefully he'll have an impact this year, this is his last chance to break through tho imo

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shocks me that so many fans seem to say Bennett should be given a run in the first team despite failing to impress in every chance he's had so far and whilst on loan.

Are these the same people who demand Keogh never gets another chance to wear the shirt? If so, then they need to live in the real world.

Just because he's a slightly more promising youth prospect than usual doesn't mean he's got the quality to play in the first team. Hughes, Hendrick, Huddlestone and Barnes all took their chances immediately. Bennett has not taken his and so far shown he's not got the quality to play at this level, even the level below.

I think he probably got his chance far too early and we wouldn't be having this sort of discussion had he not been around the first team aged 15, which is ridiculously young. Hasn't happened for him in recent times but he's only 20. I think he's actually done well to force his way back into the first team reckoning here because it looked for all the world a couple of years ago that it would never happen.

I guess we'll see in pre-season whether he's up to the task of regular first team squad membership.

Consider though what we'd be saying if he hadn't seemingly been around for ages? Exciting young prospect etc. Which essentially is still what he is, and should be treated as such.

It's all about time and place, but for injuries to our strikers Dean Sturridge would have been shipped off to Torquay.

Danny Graham got lucky the same way, was on the verge of leaving Boro and dropping to league 2 but got a sub appearance in Europe due to injuries, scored, and rightly or not was elevated to a £5m player.

On the other hand someone like Marvin Robinson did well when he joined Stoke on loan, looked sharp and scored, they wanted to sign permanently but our manager also thought he had a future. Robinson broke his leg immediately after and nothing happened for him after that.

Is Bennett any worse than Camara, probably not, so worth letting him play that 4th choice winger role this season, and see if he gets that moment to kick start his career. He is not however a player yet to count as a first teamer, and I wouldn't want him as first cover for the wide attackers.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

I think he will mate

Why hell not be given first team football.

Give up. You want promotion and Bennett who in six years has contributed nothing to be a prominent player.

You can't have both!!

Sooner we release this guy the better, then the distraction of failed promise can be lifted.

2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Look who talking about having a go at a player masion bennet could next vardy if given a chance defiently ahead of nick blackman who should be released and how do you know that we wont promation with masion bennet.

I thought you liked Blackman?

I'm not a fan. He might becomes regular Championship player at best. Physical attributes are there, but lack of footballing brain limits his progress.

It's a shame how poor level U23-league is. If you are bully enough, you are bound to do well.

17 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I'm not a fan. He might becomes regular Championship player at best. Physical attributes are there, but lack of footballing brain limits his progress.

Yep.

Has it bellow the ankles, doesn't have it between the ears.

For those saying Bennett has not had a chance, he's made 64 league appearances in his career so far and scored 3 goals. 

Sixty four. 

That's a hell of a lot for a 20-year-old. Three goals though is not a hell of a lot. 

Sure a lot of those will be sub appearances but I think people need to accept he's not the 'next Jamie Vardy' as someone put a few posts ago. 

10 minutes ago, Mountain Ram said:

Would like Mason to make it, however, my gut tells me after a few mediocre loans that he just doesn't have the clinical finishing to make it at Championship level. Would be nice to be proved wrong though!!

He could well make it as a Championship striker in my opinion.  He needs to spend this year watching and working closely with Nugent.  He should be his role model. 

Some strikers do come through late.  Think of Danny Graham.  Totally lost when he played for us in the Championship. Five years later, he's banging in a goal every other game for Watford and gets a big money move to the Premier League.  Would never have thought that would happen when I watched him as a 19 year old.

Archived