What do you really think of Morris?

oldtimeram

37 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

When in the current window, all the signs point to us potentially selling three key players and basically destroying the spine of the team, I really can't imagine what you could cling to in defence, in support, in approval of Mel.

Not sure why this would land at Mel's feet unless you're questioning the appointment of Rowett.

Players that leave this summer may not be in Rowett's plans, asked to leave, or hand has been forced as there is no interest in others that he may have wanted out.

This forum is littered with wish lists of players to be sold but if you don't have buyers what can Rowett do.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He started off by wanting to run the club as a normal business. He separated out recruitment, youth development, coaching and playing strategy, in the same way as a business will separate out the functions of r and d, logistics, production and sales. The idea being that if any senior employee leaves, they are simply replaced and the whole business continues virtually unchanged. He even spoke of not wanting someone with 30 years of footballing experience telling him how to run the club. I said at the time that that approach would be wasteful and lead to an unbalanced and disjointed club, and it has. 

However, Mel isn't stupid and he soon abandoned the departmental approach and went for a proper manager to co-ordinate the whole footballing side of the club. Unfortunately, and predictably, Mel was too hands on for Pearson, and Pearson was too forthright/cantankerous for Mel. The decision to bring back McClaren was always desperate ans likely to fail, given McClaren's proven track record of producing sides that bottled it when the pressure built. 

Mel's decision making and strategic directions have been consistently poor from the moment he took control to the point where he sacked McClaren for the second time. I do think that he has always acted in a manner he considered was best for the club though. I also think that he's learned a lot about running a football club and I hope that his decisions going forward will be far better.

I reckon that the Rowett appointment shows how Mel has developed. Firstly, I believe that Rowett was the right type of manager for us at present - Clement (not experienced), Wassall (poor timing and a 'yes man'), Pearson (too angry) and McClaren (too bottly) were all questionable. Rowett has a track record of improving his teams and getting the most out of his players.

The timing of Rowett's appointment was also well thought through. Giving him 9 games or so last season to assess the squad was perfect - and showed that Mel had learnt that treading water with a caretaker manager was wasteful and put us behind in the transfer market.

Some of Mel's recent interviews have also been far more impressive. He's talked about Rowett having complete autonomy over footballing matters subject to working within the prescribed budget. That's how it should be. It also re-casts Mel as a supportive chairman, rather than a meddling one. When Mel was making footballing related decisions it was always going to be his fault when things went wrong. Now he's settled into the role of providing the manager with a decent cash flow but letting the manager do his job, when/if things go wrong, it can only be the manager's fault. In this role, Mel actually provides the stability by being the figurehead of continuity, should a further managerial change occur.

So to me, Mel started very badly, but has gradually developed as an owner. I just hope he can keep himself in check and give Rowett the time and space to rebuild us.

Very generous. Non footballing matters have been great. Recruitment and retainment of players and managers hit and miss/bad. Needs to stick with Gary now and think he will. Being the chairman of a football club is very difficult. In time we'll look back at it all as him finding his feet. Has been given an easy ride from the media and pundits in truth though in regards to how many managers we have had. 

Would take a rich local supporter investing large amounts over what other clubs have to put up with any day of the week. Hope he's owner for decades. 

Recruitment so far this summer has been solid. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Not sure why this would land at Mel's feet unless you're questioning the appointment of Rowett.

Players that leave this summer may not be in Rowett's plans, asked to leave, or hand has been forced as there is no interest in others that he may have wanted out.

This forum is littered with wish lists of players to be sold but if you don't have buyers what can Rowett do.

When you have three top Championship players like those at your disposal, surely you find a place for them in your plans. It's bordering on plain stupidity not to. Keogh, Hughes and Ince very well could have asked to leave. Would you honestly blame them? And in fairness, yes there is a scarcity of saleable assets at the club and so naturally the players we want to keep will be the most in-demand. And yes, we are completely at the mercy of market forces and it would be understandable why there would be a lack of interest in other players.

But at the same time, how much of this can be attributed to what has gone before? It seems to be two years' worth of mismanagement coming home to roost and Rowett has the sorry task of fashioning something from the wreckage, much like Clough had to before him.

Mel is a very involved owner and while you can't apportion blame for what has transpired entirely to him, he's played a significant role in the big moments, the big decisions that have led to our current situation.

How can I and why would I question Rowett's appointment? He hasn't had enough time to make a worthwhile impression of any sort. But I find the lack of resistance to major player sales and a clear deviation from the profile of player we were thought to be bringing in somewhat alarming.

Irrespective of peoples opinions of Mel. Who else could we hope to be running and financing the club to the degree it has been since his tenure?

If Mel  hadn't taken over would we be in a better plaice ? I dont think so.

Financing the club, investing in the infrastructure, promoting the brand and image, alot of things have improved.

Just need to get it right from the fans prospective now. Attractive football,committed players, Successful results ,a bit of consistency, less uncertainty .I am sure this will follow.

Thanks Mel for your endeavors, financial commitment and loyalty ,trying to take us to a new level.

Sure Mel is aware of mistakes made as unlike myself these mistakes have cost him serious money and possibly lost revenue 

Keep up the good work Mel, .keep the faith.

Rams together.

I'm glad that we have him, the club is soundly run on the financial side.

However, the football side has been a mess and the turnover of manager's all with differing philosophies has concerned me.  This has left us with a bloated underperforming squad which needs a overhaul.

I hope GR is given time to implement his ideas, something tells me that Mel is going to do this.

I genuinely cannot believe people question MM's stewardship of teh club. In my life we have had the 3 Amigos and Maxwell at the helm as well as being at the High Court to be wound up, then I look at the associated crooks and charlatans at other clubs around the leagues, I see Watford (a club I like) as some weird multi-ownership[ scheme and various others owned by faceless corporations then IO look at us, a fan owned club by a guy that has invested in the future and infrastructure of DCFC as well as in the team. He, to me, is our very own Steve Gibson (Who incidentally and unbelievably is getting sick of some Boro fans) I also find it telling what has happened with the likes of Blackburn and WIgan when a fan benefactor has gone.

I am guessing but I would suggest that Mel has been the victim of being trusting and NOT interfering when it comes to our transfers, taking advice from people when in reality it has not been very good advice and allegedly not in teh best interests of the football club. He's an easy target especially after 'The Derby Way' comments, which is something I agree with I want to see youth given a chance at the club with ideally Derbyshire lads featuring. I spoke with a Southampton coach last week and was asking about their success which was essentially what was outlined in the 'Derby Way'

Am I upset at our signings and contracts? yes. Am I sad that Hughes appears to be going for a pittance? Of course I am as I am a Ram but these are not (as far as I know) things driven by Mel, the management and administration structure is in place for these things.

I think it is telling that we have GR at the helm now, everybody I have spoken to within the game cannot speak highly enough of teh bloke and it's music to my ears to hear that he is not corrupt or motivated by self-interest.

I think us Rams also need a bit of a reality check, we have no divine right for Premier League football (I'd love promotion but don't fancy the PL at all) and that we have not gained promotion has been down to a mixture of luck, poor performances, Personnel, constant changes and the nature of football.

I'm happy we have MM, even happier that Sam Rush is no longer at the club.

Like women, you don't know what you've got till it's gone and I feel we should be careful what we wish for.

13 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Under appreciated in what way?

Do folk think we would be in the Premier League now if the Yanks had remained?

Why would we? I have nothing against them and think they did a decent job but we didn't get promoted whilst they were here. 

8 hours ago, David said:

Terminate their contracts and give the mob something else to whinge at?

Local successful owner, loves the club, invests heavily with his own wealth in the infrastructure to secure the clubs future for years to come doesn't get us promoted in two years boooo get him out!!!

I think we are extremely lucky to have Mel Morris as chairman. People say Steve Gibson is the best chairman but I have to disagree. Mel has piled money into the club, from the training ground to the new pitch as pride park. 

The guy is a local legend and has been seriously let down by bad management. I think Paul clement is the man to blame for the mess we are in as i truley believe that he had the last say on transfers. 

However,Ive never been prouder to be a ram than I am now. Local owner and local manager, I doubt many clubs in modern  football can boast that! 

This is a good thread with some pretty well balanced views on Morris and his time with us so far 

as I said earlier my biggest worry has been / is the changes in direction, that said I really hope that rowett is the right fit for mel , the someone he can trust and we go on to gain a bit of much needed stability on the playing side including recruitment and spending ,no matter whether you believe clough was capable of kicking on to the next level or not it's very clear we lost a vital ingredient to the club when he was sacked ,,, i.e. The downright honesty and work ethic needed to be possessed by players to pull on our shirt ,,, rowett has that without the dour clough bit and the box of frogs Pearson bit , we are a championship team , dictated to by championship ffp rules and a division that needs a big dollop of shear grit in a team wanting to get promoted ,

mel needs a ground zero starting point on the playing side and it's hard to see a better option than rowett at this point for the level we are at , he is not wanting massive spends and make it clear that he sees spending the clubs money on new players as if he was spending his own money ,,, 

time for rowett is needed and whether he gets it will give us a big pointer on mels chances of bringing the success he desperately wants for dcfc

10 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

I think we are extremely lucky to have Mel Morris as chairman. People say Steve Gibson is the best chairman but I have to disagree. Mel has piled money into the club, from the training ground to the new pitch as pride park. 

The guy is a local legend and has been seriously let down by bad management. I think Paul clement is the man to blame for the mess we are in as i truley believe that he had the last say on transfers. 

However,Ive never been prouder to be a ram than I am now. Local owner and local manager, I doubt many clubs in modern  football can boast that! 

You know I'm pro mel but clement was not to blame ,, mel was to blame for installing him ( said at time of appointment ) 

he took a punt on a rookie and it backfired , **** happens , move on , I do believe Sam rush was massively instrumental in choosing and bringing clement to the club, I believe mel put a lot of trust in rush and reached a point of no trust with him over a period of time , hence he is gone 

I can't believe what I am reading here.. seriously..

We have bumbled from one mess to another on and off the pitch.. Really, detract yourself from the local boy rubbish and look at his tenure if he was Chinese.. It would be a meltdown on here, heads would be called for.

I have seen nothing, absolutely nothing from him except wasted money, wasted opportunities... Academy? Lovely looking place, brilliant, well done Morris. Let's buy old gits and only talk of The Derby Way when it suits. Academy pathway? Hmmm Appointments? Hilarious..

Oh it's alright he is local... Let's ignore the facts..

5 minutes ago, archied said:

You know I'm pro mel but clement was not to blame ,, mel was to blame for installing him ( said at time of appointment ) 

he took a punt on a rookie and it backfired , **** happens , move on , I do believe Sam rush was massively instrumental in choosing and bringing clement to the club, I believe mel put a lot of trust in rush and reached a point of no trust with him over a period of time , hence he is gone 

Not really. You can't blame Mel for the failure of the appointments. He sets out his requirements and vision for the club, managers get interviewed, they enthusiastically buy in to it, sell themselves as the very person to achieve our dreams and they don't stick to the brief. I was keen on Clement, loved the way he talked football, his whole demeanour was impressive to me. No wonder he passed the interview. 

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

We have bumbled from one mess to another on and off the pitch.. Really, detract yourself from the local boy rubbish and look at his tenure if he was Chinese.. It would be a meltdown on here, heads would be called for.

I have seen nothing, absolutely nothing from him except wasted money, wasted opportunities... Academy? Lovely looking place, brilliant, well done Morris. Let's buy old gits and only talk of The Derby Way when it suits. Academy pathway? Hmmm Appointments? Hilarious..

Oh it's alright he is local... Let's ignore the facts..

I'd prefer to ignore anyone who thinks that the trend of dodgy money, foreign ownership and crazy chairmen in our game is a preferable thing to local ownership of a community club. The cold grip of greedy money men has ruined football 

Just now, Angry Ram said:

We have bumbled from one mess to another on and off the pitch.. Really, detract yourself from the local boy rubbish and look at his tenure if he was Chinese...

Not thought of it like that, what does it matter other than the results.

Sacking Mac 1 because he was being head-hunted by a 'big Prem' club and didn't turn them down fast enough was no better than Brum sacking Rowett and appointing Zola!

3 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Not really. You can't blame Mel for the failure of the appointments. He sets out his requirements and vision for the club, managers get interviewed, they enthusiastically buy in to it, sell themselves as the very person to achieve our dreams and they don't stick to the brief. I was keen on Clement, loved the way he talked football, his whole demeanour was impressive to me. No wonder he passed the interview. 

So explain Pearson and his dovetail with The Derby Way? How is that not another Morris cock up?

What in Pearsons past would have made him think he was a good choice.

Archived