What do you really think of Morris?

oldtimeram

Sorry it's a long one.

Lots of mistakes have been made in my opinion but all the blame cannot be put at the door of MM. We we're defeated by qpr and we went into the season thinking we had everything in place to go up. He backs the Manager with funds. Macs head gets turned and at the time I'm sure he was asking loyalty from players who were on the premiership wanted lists but his head was turned, season over. 

Mel brings in a novice who has a massive reputation. He backs the Manager with funds.Clement reverts to a possession game which creates no excitement for fans though the team are healthy placed. He gets the chop. 

He puts his faith in the academy manager who struggles but MM sees this and brings in a helpful hand in a very experienced ex Manager to assist. We fail to go up but we are close. It doesn't help our best player breaks his leg in the last game of the season.

Mel brings in a Manager who has won promotion before. He backs the Manager with funds. The Manager adopts a formula which has bought him success before however rumours have it the players are unhappy with the style of play the Manager wants to adopt. The Manager loses his job for reasons unknown. The previous Manager of exciting football is once again employed. He tries desperately to get the top goal scorer from the previous year back from a season long loan.  It doesn't work and results don't improve so another Manager is employed who has a reputation of being one of the  brightest young Managers in England. Mel tells him he must generate his own funds for the forthcoming season. 

The Chief executive is sacked for reasons unknown. 

So that is what has happened whilst MM has been in charge. Is he to blame fully for the state we are in or is he a diehard Derby fan who has had so much bad luck that surely things will turn around? One fact out of all of the above is he has spent millions of his own money. Would you do that if you had it? I would and unfortunately I'd also listen to my fellow Rams and there in lies MM biggest problem. He cannot separate being a fan and being an owner. I would also have this problem hence the reason I will not blame him for any of this. 

The fact he's told GR to generate his own money may well be the turning point?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

I think you overplay our standing in the current world of sky football. We're no more than a passing nod, just like Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Weds, Wolves, etc.

Of course we are more than a passing nod - when we are successful, that *is* the point.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

To the detriment of the team, surely it does. Otherwise we are just a cash register!

Well now can you judge if selling Hughes has been detrimental to the team or not yet?

Was selling Bale, Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain detrimental to the Southampton team?

9 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

I think you overplay our standing in the current world of sky football. We're no more than a passing nod, just like Forest, Leeds, Sheffield Weds, Wolves, etc.

I'm quite happy to be mentioned in their company, just because Burnley, Bournemouth, Stoke, Watford etc are currently in the Prem doesn't make me want to be them

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Well now can you judge if selling Hughes has been detrimental to the team or not yet?

Was selling Bale, Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain detrimental to the Southampton team?

Would keeping Bale have prevented Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain from playing for Southampton?!

Do you want a meddling chairman or not, that is the question. You can't pick and choose for each transfer you agree with.

Let's say Hughes doesn't fit into Rowett's plans, does Mel block the transfer and say no you must play Hughes or does he respect the managers wishes and move him on?

We know the answer because it's been said time and time again, he will always back the manager 100%. 

Wasn't long ago a lot of members on this forum didn't like the head coach system, they wanted a manager to come in that has full control. We have that now. Rowett has even been intereviewed on Rams TV on how he's talking to agents each day.

I know I come across as a Mel apologist but if a finger of blame has to be pointed, aim it at Rowett, not that I'm suggesting we all grab our pitchforks and head for his office. Hughes may simply not fit the way Rowett wants to play, the signs were there at the end of last season, think we all including myself just chose to ignore them.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Do you want a meddling chairman or not, that is the question. You can't pick and choose for each transfer you agree with.

Let's say Hughes doesn't fit into Rowett's plans, does Mel block the transfer and say no you must play Hughes or does he respect the managers wishes and move him on?

We know the answer because it's been said time and time again, he will always back the manager 100%. 

Wasn't long ago a lot of members on this forum didn't like the head coach system, they wanted a manager to come in that has full control. We have that now. Rowett has even been intereviewed on Rams TV on how he's talking to agents each day.

I know I come across as a Mel apologist but if a finger of blame has to be pointed, aim it at Rowett, not that I'm suggesting we all grab our pitchforks and head for his office. Hughes may simply not fit the way Rowett wants to play, the signs were there at the end of last season, think we all including myself just chose to ignore them.

The only people that contradict themselves more than MM are our fans.

Every decision that has been made, has had a good reason. Admittedly, a couple were a shock at first,

but had to be done. The one thing that we have, that Mel hasn't, is hindsight. The one thing he has, that

we don't (apart from cash) is the guts to make the big decisions.

I don't think many would argue with the view that Mel has made a number of mistakes, many of which, in hindsight he would probably regret. However, the extent of his investment should not be dismissed, nor his commitment to the club. He's the owner so is entitled to having the final say in all matters off the field.

Not that he would take advice from me but one decision I think he should make, with a high degree of urgency, would be to appoint a CEO, thereby creating a buffer between himself and the manager.

I'm more than happy we have an owner who has quite a bit of financial clout but who is also an avid supporter of my team, although i do realise that there have been occasions in the past and more than likely will be in the future, when the heart rules the head but not necessarily for the good of Derby County.

Just wish he'd never ever mentioned "the Derby way".

5 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I know he has friends and ears on this forum, but I was just wondering what the general view of the man is?

In his time since he took control do you think he has done a good job?

What do you think of recent events with the acquisitions and impending sales? Surely he has had a significant input in both the purchases of Wisdom and Curtis and the likely sale of Hughes and the give away of Camara?

Personally, as far as I am concerned, the jury is still out, but I guess that might change a bit if we get to hear the true value of the impending Hughes sale.

Is he good for the club or another meddling fan with dosh?

Views guy?

my personal view is that for whatever reason you are extremely resentful of Mel Morris having read all of your posts both on this forum and  footymad and you come across as either a very jealous guy or have some personal  against him.

The facts are he is a  local guy born and bred in Derby who has made a great success of his life After supporting out team all his life he was able to do what we all dream of doing and bought the club,But not only that but he has pumped millions into the club not only improving our team but put his money money into making the academy one of the very best in the country.Yes he has made mistakes the guy is human after all,the important thing is he  learns from them from them.Now with Gary Rowett as manager we will start heading in the right direction,might take awhile but we will get there.

Where the new signings are concerned if he did have any input ,which i doubt, it shows is as a pretty shrewed footballing brain

Although there was no fee involved where Camara was concerned we save on here wage which will pay a better player  not all players are sold on at a profit

Will Hughs fee probably never be disclosed such is the way in modern football

I remember the 3 amigo days, when it was genuinely painful following the Rams, when I wanted to cry just dreaming of having rich owners and the ability to splash the cash (like forest were at the time).

Mel Morris has given our club stability and a bright future.

If he can just cut out the very poor transfer policy we have employed over the last few seasons and not make a habit of selling our better players for peanuts, he will be a hero of our club for a very long time.

A for effort, A for ambition, A for investment, A for passion, A for vision.

F for composure, F for resilience, F for clarity, F for direction, F for execution.

You can have the grandest plans, the best of intentions, the deepest of pockets, but what it all boils down to is the execution.

Two full seasons, four permanent managers, two caretaker managers, a minder, an ousted CEO, at least £40 million spent on the playing squad and most remarkably of all, no tangible progress since the moment when Morris assumed full ownership of the club.

It paints a sorry picture, a triumph in mismanagement.

It's really hard to defend him - we've lurched from one bad decision to another, one master plan to another, and one 'facepalm' moment to another, and seemingly there is no end in sight.

Of course, the blame doesn't land entirely on Mel's shoulders but it's a domino effect. If the guy at the top is making bad decisions, it trickles down and manifests itself at every level of the club.

When in the current window, all the signs point to us potentially selling three key players and basically destroying the spine of the team, I really can't imagine what you could cling to in defence, in support, in approval of Mel.

What will the Mel Morris years be remembered for? I'm really struggling to think of something positive. I hope it's a case of the best is yet to come, and not the worst is yet to come.

I think he is naive and remains badly advised. If I owned this club I would reappoint Clough and make Rowett his assistant. Clough is the original in this whole decadal episode and (Clough is) the organic creator, talent spotter.....the leader with a soul.

So, for me, Mel lacks clarity of vision, as things stand.

I have no idea what has been the background for the decisions he has made.

I have no idea what decisions are made by him and what by others.

I have no idea what kind of person he is.

I have no idea how I could have opinion of him without being extremely preconceive.

= Guess he is alright. I have a bit of philanthropist in me.

I think he's set us back a number of years with his sack happy, chuck money at it attitude. We were so close to get promoted with a team that needed to tweaked instead of Clement spunking it on overpriced garbage.

Now I think the bloke has good intentions, don't get me wrong. But he has been incredibly naive in owning the club so far.

Archived