What do you really think of Morris?

oldtimeram

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I'd prefer to ignore anyone who thinks that the trend of dodgy money, foreign ownership and crazy chairmen in our game is a preferable thing to local ownership of a community club. The cold grip of greedy money men has ruined football 

Did you read my post? Fail to see what you are getting at. The point was, IF he was Chinese, people would simply not accept what has happened. Okay what if he was an Ashley type, not local but a Brit? 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not thought of it like that, what does it matter other than the results.

Sacking Mac 1 because he was being head-hunted by a 'big Prem' club and didn't turn them down fast enough was no better than Brum sacking Rowett and appointing Zola!

Agree, results mean everything.. I get any appointment can be a lottery but he has mad many basic errors. 

The man is a myth.

7 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

So explain Pearson and his dovetail with The Derby Way? How is that not another Morris cock up?

What in Pearsons past would have made him think he was a good choice.

Ok so how many fans were shouting for some backbone? They wanted a stronger work ethic and a 'strong manager'. Enter Mr knucklehead. Mel did what the fans wanted. 

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Agree, results mean everything.. I get any appointment can be a lottery but he has mad many basic errors. 

The man is a myth.

So I assume you would prefer to go back to the days of clough and the yanks or mayber the three amigos or even robert maxwell shall i continue

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Did you read my post? Fail to see what you are getting at. The point was, IF he was Chinese, people would simply not accept what has happened. Okay what if he was an Ashley type, not local but a Brit? 

Yes I did. I get that you market yourself as an angry fan with a big grudge and I also get that I'm a dying breed. I prefer football to be a local community thing, you support your local or hometown club, it's got its presence and local identity. Ours has a fan at the helm and I'm glad. He may make decisions based on fandom sometimes but so what? I'd watch Derby in any division because I'm a fan too. i agree that it would be a whole lot less forgivable in foreign or faceless ownership and that's my point. He's local, he's a fan, get off his back. 

The club is more of a catch in 2017 than five years ago.

The academy, Moor Farm, the stadium, the money available is a massive draw for any potential signing. That's largely down to Morris.

The only two things he's cocked up on is giving up with Clement after a bad run of form and not appointing Rowett sooner. I doubt we'd have had to pay Brum millions for his service 

I think we will get there in the end, my biggest fear is he will run out of cash trying a'la Pickering or simply want out after fan backlash 

Some things he's got right, some he's got wrong. On the whole we've gone backwards, but as he is a smart man with good business sense, we should be doing better.

Well what else can we do? Do we really think things are so bad that we ought to be protesting and demanding his sale of the club?

That would be strong I think.

10 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

my personal view is that for whatever reason you are extremely resentful of Mel Morris having read all of your posts both on this forum and  footymad and you come across as either a very jealous guy or have some personal  against him.

The facts are he is a  local guy born and bred in Derby who has made a great success of his life After supporting out team all his life he was able to do what we all dream of doing and bought the club,But not only that but he has pumped millions into the club not only improving our team but put his money money into making the academy one of the very best in the country.Yes he has made mistakes the guy is human after all,the important thing is he  learns from them from them.Now with Gary Rowett as manager we will start heading in the right direction,might take awhile but we will get there.

Where the new signings are concerned if he did have any input ,which i doubt, it shows is as a pretty shrewed footballing brain

Although there was no fee involved where Camara was concerned we save on here wage which will pay a better player  not all players are sold on at a profit

Will Hughs fee probably never be disclosed such is the way in modern football

I asked for views on his tenure since he took over, nothing more, nothing less.

Contrary to your belief, I have nothing against the man. I do not know him, but I have been critical of his management and handling of the club since he took over.  That is as far as my criticism goes.  I am not jealous? Why should I be? I am not resentful of him. Again, why would I be? He has pumped millions into the club.....not wisely in my opinion, but it is the way he is running the club that I have concerns about.....not the guy himself, so stop jumping to conclusions about whether I like Morris or not.  

It's nice to have a supporter running the club. He certainly wants the best for the club and has shown that he's willing to invest the money in the academy, training facilities and transfers to try and bring us success.

Some of his decisions have turned out to be bad and the change in philosophies around the style of play have led to a bit of a mis-matched squad. The players that have come in may be better individually but the resulting team is weaker than that of the 13/14 and 14/15 seasons.

We've gone backwards under his ownership, at least on the pitch, but all it takes is one good season for us to be ahead of where we were at. Overall I'm glad to have him as owner and if he learns from the mistakes he made then there's no reason why he can't bring success to this club.

One of the most accident prone chairman we've ever had.

If his name was Vincent Tan there would be a very different reaction.

currently all over the place ; strategies in smithereens; no idea where we're going.

like Pickering before him, when his initial burst of enthusiasm failed to achieve promotion, he seems to have decided to tighten the reins, and  reduce the spending.

Talks a lot of shiite but a lot of folk seem to fall for it.

35 minutes ago, RamNut said:

currently all over the place ; strategies in smithereens; no idea where we're going.

like Pickering before him, when his initial burst of enthusiasm failed to achieve promotion, he seems to have decided to tighten the reins, and  reduce the spending.

Had a dodgy recruitment policy that I am not sure the managers are to blame for. Gave Rush free reign to assign dubious contracts out. An absolute disaster with management hiring and firing.  Talks in PR mode constantly. However, done well with the academy and the online aspects of the club.

58 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Exactly my thoughts 

I think owning a football would be a lot like everything in life... a learning experience.

I think MM has made some mistakes, but with the best of intentions and I'd much rather have a rich local owner with the club at heart running the club than someone who is just here to promote his own brand or make some cash off a promotion/player sales.

I hope the longer MM stays at the club the better he'll get at running the club.  We need a period of stability now and reasonable achievable targets for the manager, not an overused cheque book and itchy trigger finger.

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I think owning a football would be a lot like everything in life... a learning experience.

I think MM has made some mistakes, but with the best of intentions and I'd much rather have a rich local owner with the club at heart running the club than someone who is just here to promote his own brand or make some cash off a promotion/player sales.

I hope the longer MM stays at the club the better he'll get at running the club.  We need a period of stability now and reasonable achievable targets for the manager, not an overused cheque book and itchy trigger finger.

I just want to get to a point in time where we have a duplicate of the "the view from the outside" thread. The way we are heading that's never going to happen.

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I asked for views on his tenure since he took over, nothing more, nothing less.

Contrary to your belief, I have nothing against the man. I do not know him, but I have been critical of his management and handling of the club since he took over.  That is as far as my criticism goes.  I am not jealous? Why should I be? I am not resentful of him. Again, why would I be? He has pumped millions into the club.....not wisely in my opinion, but it is the way he is running the club that I have concerns about.....not the guy himself, so stop jumping to conclusions about whether I like Morris or not.  

So sorry but i have yet to see any post where you have given him the slightest hint of praise

So Mel has been in charge for 2 years. The club has made some good decisions, some bad, some bizarre, some downright truly awful and some excellent. How much of this is down to Mel? No idea. People complain about Mel going into the changing rooms after Reading, some people complain that he didn't stop the Martin deal, some are complaining about the Hughes deal, some people complain about the free scarf and hot drink, some are complaining that the kits haven't been released yet, some are complaining about money being spent, some are complaining at the lack of signings. How much of it is down to Morris? How much is down to the teams he inherited? Are we going to see any changes with the recent reshuffle? It is almost an impossible situation for Mel to please all of the fans. We want him to get every decision right, but it isn't that easy. When do fire a manager that isn't performing? Who do you get in to improve the team?

I think last summer highlighted how difficult it is to please the fans with the surveys of who we want as manager, I know Pearson came out on top in quite a few polls, but it was never much more than a third of fans wanting him, that was 2/3s of fans that he wasn't first choice for. I know there was a poll if you was happy or not with Pearson and the majority were but how many are always happy with everything the club does? Some it is a blind allegiance, others will always back the club as it feels wrong to disagree (not calling anyone who does this, I used to back the club at every decision)

Rambling on, what was the thread about? Oh yeah, my opinion on Mel? I think he has made mistakes but has also done very well in other aspects, can not question his commitment with providing funds but if someone can tell me which actions were solely down to Mel, what actions he was advised to do and what actions he vetoed, I am sure I will come up with an better answer. I know some opinions are down to a preconceived idea of what he was going to do, whether that means anything good and it is all down Mel and anything or bad and it is down Rush/manager/coaches/players etc and vice versa. Again never going to call or criticise anyone who believes either, after all we are entitled to our opinions, and are free to voice them.

Archived