Keogh

TroyDyer

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Middling - decent enough but not as good with the ball at his feet as Keogh

We aren't goint to be playing pretty football from the back with GR. So this element of their game less important

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OxfordRam said:

He also flings himself at the ball and to the ground needlessly when blocking a shot. I reckon he thinks it looks like a heroic last ditch challenge, but he usually ends up looking silly when it deflects in his own net or to an opposition player off of his heel/back/arse. 

It does work a lot though ... deflecting for a corner or away. 

5 hours ago, feisty said:

We aren't goint to be playing pretty football from the back with GR. So this element of their game less important

He wants to get the ball forward quicker. That doesn't translate to it not being important to be good with the ball to me. I'd like to think we'll aim to get the ball forward quicker and with quality.

15 hours ago, feisty said:

You don't know that - Back end of last season wasn't too drastic a change in that regard - Rowett is a pragmatic manager and uses whatever he has to get results - Pearson showed that you need to be smarter with our squad than just try and get them all to play his dour brand of 'effective' football - From all his interviews Rowett seems to understand that and has mentioned several times how excited he's been about working with more skillful players

10 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If there's a defender out there that is dominant in the air, good on the ball, can carry it out of defence, has pace and ping 40 yard cross field balls inch perfect everytime, they won't be playing. in the Championship. 

I full well get your point but all I ask is we get a centre back who actually looks like a footballer when he has the ball at his feet and doesn't have the turning circle of an arctic lorry. Is that really a big ask ?

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

You don't know that - Back end of last season wasn't too drastic a change in that regard - Rowett is a pragmatic manager and uses whatever he has to get results - Pearson showed that you need to be smarter with our squad than just try and get them all to play his dour brand of 'effective' football - From all his interviews Rowett seems to understand that and has mentioned several times how excited he's been about working with more skillful players

That really is my hope with Rowett but I have to admit I do have a nagging fear that @feisty might be right.

I don't get the love for the trio of Keogh, Russell and Bryson.

Decent players sure, but none have really improved since 2014 - the latter two especially. All three need a fresh challenge and maybe a change of scenery.

If someone came in with a bid of 4-5 for Keogh, Adios mate and thanks for everything. There's better around if you look hard enough.

Life goes on.

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Decent players sure, but none have really improved since 2014 - the latter two especially. All three need a fresh challenge and maybe a change of scenery.

If someone came in with a bid of 4-5 for Keogh, Adios mate and thanks for everything. There's better around if you look hard enough.

Life goes on.

I understand every player has a price but when we were signing any old muppet that could kick a ball under Davies and Jewell I was crying out for us to sign players that were willing to run through walls for the club and stay loyal to the club for long periods of time.

All three of the players you list there are exactly that. Are they perfect? Far from it. Do I think the club is better fort having them around? Absolutely. 

6 minutes ago, Papahet said:

THIS

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

willing to run through walls for the club and stay loyal to the club for long periods of time.

All three of the players you list there are exactly that.

Rowett has made it very clear he wants players with more passion and desire - These three have the most in them out of any of our squad - The guys who are still burning up pitch on 94 minutes when we're 3-0 down

I think we've missed Jamie Ward in that regard since he left - Is he as technically good as our other wingers? Probably not - But he gave 100% desire in every game, hustled people and almost burned with desire to win every game.

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Rowett has made it very clear he wants players with more passion and desire - These three have the most in them out of any of our squad - The guys who are still burning up pitch on 94 minutes when we're 3-0 down.

Yes, but he's also said that some of the squad could do with a new challenge.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, but he's also said that some of the squad could do with a new challenge.

True - But I would imagine that applies to 90% of the squad - It would seem odd to me if he wanted rid of the guys who most show that passion he seems to want so much

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

True - But I would imagine that applies to 90% of the squad - It would seem odd to me if he wanted rid of the guys who most show that passion he seems to want so much

I thought his (unspoken) implication was that some had been here too long, but were (as he says for all the squad to cover his back) good players.

I think if he's looking for a culture change then there has to be changes and he'll attempt to keep players that buy into his methods. I'm undecided about keeping Keogh but unlike some he's a saleable asset, and it's about getting a team together.

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought his (unspoken) implication was that some had been here too long, but were (as he says for all the squad to cover his back) good players.

I think if he's looking for a culture change then there has to be changes and he'll attempt to keep players that buy into his methods. I'm undecided about keeping Keogh but unlike some he's a saleable asset, and it's about getting a team together.

Or he might have meant if you are not going to play you may as well be away ( Blackman camara wieman etc ) 

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Really?! 

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Life goes on.

In the case of Bryson and Russell I don't mind letting them go (I would prefer to see others go first though) as long as we replace with better. In recent history this hasnt been the case at Derby, for example look at the hodgepodge of average at best wide players we've signed since letting Ward and Dawkins go.

Keogh is a little different for me. He is one of the best centre backs in the league and one of very few who are actually really good on the ball. When you see really average championship defenders being valued at £4-5m like Flint you have to ask the question of whether the money raised from selling Keogh would actually buy a centre back who is better. Thats before we mention that it's really the other centre back slot we needed to improve on.

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

In the case of Bryson and Russell I don't mind letting them go (I would prefer to see others go first though) as long as we replace with better. In recent history this hasnt been the case at Derby, for example look at the hodgepodge of average at best wide players we've signed since letting Ward and Dawkins go.

Keogh is a little different for me. He is one of the best centre backs in the league and one of very few who are actually really good on the ball. When you see really average championship defenders being valued at £4-5m like Flint you have to ask the question of whether the money raised from selling Keogh would actually buy a centre back who is better. Thats before we mention that it's really the other centre back slot we needed to improve on.

But you need to realise that no matter how good he is and how well he plays, once a hater always hater!

Archived