George Boyd - signed for Sheffield Wednesday

Mafiabob

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I don't see why age is such an important issue? Nobody is still bringing up Nugent's age? If the player is still fit enough to play at this correct level, age shouldn't matter. Whilst it's nice to have a young core to the squad so you can build from that, I believe a degree of short termism to get the premier league isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also worth noting that a number of Burnley fans have referenced his age as making no difference, due to his work rate. At Championship level, Boyd could be a really good signing. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

But aren't we supposed to have them here anyway? Ince, Russell, Anya, Wiemann. 

I don't know how you can say he's not athletic either, he'll run all day and played 39 times for Burnley last season in the prem.

Not too bad really.

He's slow, very slow.

Russell is small and doesn't turn quickly, Anya is even smaller and slight... who really knows about Weimann, does he even have a position?.

Said it before, but we need a bit of height, as well as pace and athleticism. We need people who can twist and turn, get to the ball first and cover the ground. People who can get to the tackles... main reason we need rid of Bryson out of the starting line up. With his age and injury history, he can run a marathon for you but he doesn't have the athleticism or ability to turn and get his foot in anymore. 

Think Danny Williams (Reading), Mo Diame (Newcastle), Izzy Brown (Huddersfield), Ryan Frederiks (Fulham)... just some examples of having the physique and athleticism needed - by no means suggesting these players (although, I would love Danny Williams)

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

He's slow, very slow.

Russell is small and doesn't turn quickly, Anya is even smaller and slight... who really knows about Weimann, does he even have a position?

Said it before, but we need a bit of height, as well as pace and athleticism. We need people who can twist and turn, get to the ball first and cover the ground. People who can get to the tackles..

Step forward Nick Blackman!

Just now, Dimmu said:

Step forward Nick Blackman!

I haven't been one to write off Nick Blackman, in fairness. He has his qualities, as well as his flaws. He has two main problems with his time here, in my eyes which are:

a) he arrived at a time where the team was doing terribly. Everything stemmed from that. He got into a position whereby when he got any minutes whatsoever, if he didn't score then the majority of fans slated him and he didn't then play the next game. He needed a run of games, which he never got. He also got signed by a manager who shortly left and has had about 4 or 5 now already, some of which he was injured throughout.

b) despite what he and our fans might think, his best position is wide right where he can cut in onto his left and shoot. This is where he got all but 2 (IIRC) of his goals at Reading. Sadly for him, that's Ince's spot.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

I haven't been one to write off Nick Blackman, in fairness. He has his qualities, as well as his flaws. He has two main problems with his time here, in my eyes which are:

a) he arrived at a time where the team was doing terribly. Everything stemmed from that. He got into a position whereby when he got any minutes whatsoever, if he didn't score then the majority of fans slated him and he didn't then play the next game. He needed a run of games, which he never got. He also got signed by a manager who shortly left and has had about 4 or 5 now already, some of which he was injured throughout.

b) despite what he and our fans might think, his best position is wide right where he can cut in onto his left and shoot. This is where he got all but 2 (IIRC) of his goals at Reading. Sadly for him, that's Ince's spot.

I would like to add a C - he is not very good at football either 

in terms of playing wide right, well he can't control the ball, he can't run with the ball, he won't pass to his teammates but he will shoot, from 40 yards 35 yards 30 yards 25yards 20 yards etc and may occasionally get one deflected on target 

but not too much to work with so please transfer him to Paul Clement at Swansea 

6 hours ago, Srg said:

super sub nick Blackman?

9 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I would like to add a C - he is not very good at football either 

in terms of playing wide right, well he can't control the ball, he can't run with the ball, he won't pass to his teammates but he will shoot, from 40 yards 35 yards 30 yards 25yards 20 yards etc and may occasionally get one deflected on target 

but not too much to work with so please transfer him to Paul Clement at Swansea 

Disagree with all that to be honest. 

Deflected 13 into the net at Reading...

Blackman's problems aren't physical (aside from the fact he's been injured for the past six months.) They're mental.

He has all the attributes required to be a top player - he's big, strong, quick, hits a fierce shot. 

Problem is, when he's on the pitch, he folds like a deck of cards. By all accounts he's fantastic in training, but he's useless on the pitch. Can't hit a barn door with a banjo on the pitch.

Maybe he just needs the right manager to put him at ease and to be honest, that's what needs to happen because no-one is going to take him off our  hands given how much we're paying him.

As for Boyd, no thanks. I'm sure he's a lovely guy who works hard, but he's getting the that age where any player we buy needs to be a pretty big improvement on what we have and I don't think he is.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Without wishing to diagnose Blackman further, could it not simply be a case of being a bit rusty due to the lack of first team football?

It happens.

It does Buddy, but l am pretty convinced the Tories have to take a lot of the blame for his failings.

Of all the players that could benefit from a 6 month loan it would be Blackman.

If we could loan him to a league 1 club with a potential for a promotion battle he could start scoring.

With Jan approaching we would hopefully have a player full of confidence, scoring goals whose value had risen.  We either take him back, or sell him.

It's Lavly Jably isn't it 

edit: maybe a 3 month loan.

11 hours ago, Srg said:

His best position is the bench 

9 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I've never wanted a player to succeed at Derby as much as I want Nick Blackman to succeed at Derby. His fresh start begins as he lines up for the rams XI in the first game of the season.

#teamnick

I'm actually with you... can't fault his effort when he's been played 

Archived