Gary's post match comments.

Just now, GerryDaly said:

GR is here to stay ... 

Mel likes him :ph34r:

Mel liked every manager he signed?

one was rumoured to be touted to be here for 10 years, turned out to be 10 mins.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I can't see what he's learned from any games. 

He seems to find a midfield partnership that works... then it doesn't. 

He seems to find a way to get Vydra playing... then he leaves it. 

He seems to favour this formation... then changes to that one.

I'm not claiming to be as ITK as him. I'd love to know what he's gained this season. 

A better paid job.

Don't think the players got GR excited until the last 10 minutes today and hence the comments made. I believe he knows what he needs and will get what he wants via the summer transfer window. My only negative is that we didn't seem to build on the back of a very good result at home to Fulham and what did vydra do wrong to be left out of the picture? That said GR has had quite a few games to look at everyone without any real pressure. I'm not going to disrespect Birmingham or burton but Derby is a complete different animal. Next year he will be under Immense pressure and  I just hope he can handle it. 

If you read this Gary :

The pressure starts now and we will support but please let the players know we want 100% commitment. Do that with a good start and it will snowball. Start poorly and players are doing what they did today ( look interested for 10 minutes ) you may well find yourself out of a job. Mel is Mel and no one will change him but if there's improvement you'll be ok.

Nothing so far that I've seen on the porch has suggested rowett has improved anything. There's been flashes like Fulham but once again nothing to break down ten men behind the ball. Hopefully a good transfer window will go some way to improving things but talking the talk is all there has been so far.

Maybe he doesn't feel he has the midfield to play Vydra as a 10. I hope it is just a case of trying the midfield combinations.

Can't really say any players will have given him too much to think about. Very interesting summer ahead.

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Well, he cant get rid of them all in July so I hope he's spotted something he can work with. 

Could get the team bus to take half of them out in the car park and claim the insurance?

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

But surely you didn't expect different from the same players? That's the point. He maybe might have blooded a few youngsters if injuries allowed, but other than that it was only gonna show up that the players/balance is wrong and the squad NEEDS changing. Rowett cannot get what he wants from this squad, no surprise there surely?

I think it all goes to show that getting rid of mclaren 2 and replacing him with effectively a less exciting but more talkative McLaren 3 may not have the benefits that were expected.

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think it all goes to show that getting rid of mclaren 2 and replacing him with effectively a less exciting but more talkative McLaren 3 may not have the benefits that were expected.

The honeymoon is over and a little realism is setting in on here maybe. 

Maybe he's learnt that the midfield lacks physicality to impose itself.the lack of aggression in defending  is great if you want to win fair play league and nothing else.some players can run all day and get nowhere. I think he knows what has to change .good luck to him  !

I think all of the Championship and perhaps a handful of Premier League sides would settle for Abraham too. And that's just on loan. 

I think he may get better offers than midtable Derby. 

Possibly he may even get to feature in Chelsea's friendlies. 

For the first few matches we were still in with a chance of getting into the play offs so he had to play what he thought was the best team to try to do that, however unlikely; then we played Birmingham which was important to him and his staff personally; Brentford was a debacle, Sheff Wed important to Sheffield and the other teams in the play offs; Wolves important as the last home game and today's meant not very much to anyone

Injuries to squad members and younger players (+ the desire for the Under 23s to stay in their league) have meant that he hasn't been able to experiment more widely than he may have wanted to but he's played a number in different positions especially in midfield - Bradley Johnson, Jacob, Bryson, Anya, Tom Ince and Will Hughes, for example.  Maybe Vydra hasn't played much because GR knows he's staying (or not); he's played different formations, both within games and at the start, both home and away. And he's had them all in training most days.

I would have thought that he's had the opportunity to learn a lot about our senior professionals - the ones that can adapt to new systems and training methods; the ones with (and without) some mental strength when the going's tough; the ones that need more fitness; the ones that need kicking and those that need loving; those that play through knocks and those that don't; who's good in the dressing room and who's not; which of the younger players are able to break into his squad.  And he's probably had some initial ideas confirmed and others challenged by what he's found - stuff that he wouldn't have necessarily been able to pick up from watching live or on CD.

He's probably also learnt who's on what contract and how much room for manoeuvre he has in the transfer market, which of the players that he wanted from elsewhere are likely to want to come to Derby and on what terms, who wants to move on and to where, whether the injured players are likely to be coming back and what the backroom staff and academy are like to work with. He probably has learnt who he would really like to keep if he possibly can. And how he manages Mel.

He's probably learnt quite a lot.

11 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well Mac 2 and Mac 3 agree the squad needs freshening up! At least this gets Mac 2 off the hook!

Gonna be an interesting summer - will it just be the 'bad boys' that are replaced? :D

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well Mac 2 and Mac 3 agree the squad needs freshening up! At least this gets Mac 2 off the hook!

Gonna be an interesting summer - will it just be the 'bad boys' that are replaced? :D

But who are the 'bad boys' , im sure we all have our different views, i for one just dont understand about Hughes, not been a 1st team starter for weeks, i have him as the best player ive seen at Derby for years. I reckon he's on his way sadly... cant blame him he probably feels its best he tries a new challenge having seen us go around in circles for the last few years. As for the  other ones,new contracts to Bent/Baird and Martin is apparently returning not going, so it looks like it could be bye bye Johnny,Blackman,Olson,Christie,Pearce,Shackell, Weiman,  any others ?

Just now, nfb said:

But who are the 'bad boys' , im sure we all have our different views, i for one just dont understand about Hughes, not been a 1st team starter for weeks, i have him as the best player ive seen at Derby for years. I reckon he's on his way sadly... cant blame him he probably feels its best he tries a new challenge having seen us go around in circles for the last few years. As for the  other ones,new contracts to Bent/Baird and Martin is apparently returning not going, so it looks like it could be bye bye Johnny,Blackman,Olson,Christie,Pearce,Shackell, Weiman,  any others ?

Contract extensions for baird and bent is hardly building anything for the future. 

The only logical explanations are that either....

A) Gary rowett is planning massive upheaval and these 2 are the "continuity canndidates "

B) he had no say in them. 

45 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Contract extensions for baird and bent is hardly building anything for the future. 

The only logical explanations are that either....

A) Gary rowett is planning massive upheaval and these 2 are the "continuity canndidates "

B) he had no say in them. 

Rowett made it pretty clear he had no say in their extensions. Bent activated his in January (I think for appearences) and Barid did the same last month.

Archived