Gary's post match comments.

Did anyone else find Gary Rowetts post match comments..' at times I was concentrating more on the other scores' slightly disconcerting? Call me old fashioned but as it's last chance for him to assess his players in a competitive game for three months shouldn't he be concentrating on his own teams performance?Unless of course he's already made up his mind who's staying and who's on their bike?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see what he's learned from any games. 

He seems to find a midfield partnership that works... then it doesn't. 

He seems to find a way to get Vydra playing... then he leaves it. 

He seems to favour this formation... then changes to that one.

I'm not claiming to be as ITK as him. I'd love to know what he's gained this season. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I'm not claiming to be as ITK as him. I'd love to know what he's gained this season. 

That they're all useless?

7 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

...Unless of course he's already made up his mind who's staying and who's on their bike?

I thought he said he already had ideas as to who was going but some had chance to make him reconsider?

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Do you think he has found out he needs to change an awful lot and if so is that an opinion you hold or are a lot of these players in the 1st team squad good enough bearing in mind we might get Martin ,Forsyth and Thorne back and he just needs to change 3 or 4. 

26 minutes ago, curtains said:

Do you think he has found out he needs to change an awful lot and if so is that an opinion you hold or are a lot of these players in the 1st team squad good enough bearing in mind we might get Martin ,Forsyth and Thorne back and he just needs to change 3 or 4. 

I don't know. I think the only positive he found was Vydra working in that 4231. He hasn't built on that. He's left it.

Other than that I still see Olsson being poor, Pearce being made of wood, Cyrus still stopping to draw diagrams, Bryson plays too deep a lot. 

It's all pretty much as it has been all season. I got excited when he had 4231 with Vydra and Nugent because it was different and it showed promise. 

Now it just blends into the rest of the season.

I don't expect miracles from Rowett. I'm not criticising. I'm just asking what does he know now that he didn't know when he signed the contract. 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't expect miracles from Rowett. I'm not criticising. I'm just asking what does he know now that he didn't know when he signed the contract. 

What were you expecting him to know?

He and all the players should have been concentrating on entertaining the near 3000 fans who took the time and paid their money to follow their team on a Sunday lunchtime. Rather than looking like a group of professional footballers and management who couldn't give a toss about today's game. 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What were you expecting him to know?

Well, when he got more out of Vydra and that 4231 looked promising, energetic and fairly fluid at the first attempt then i'd thought he'd build on that. 

I'd expect him to use the season to find a central midfield set up that pushed and kept Bryson forward. 

I didn't expect to see the exact same things from the exact same players in the exact same system that we were seeing months ago. Because me, you and Gary Rowett's dog know what that can and can't do. It's the exact same style and system that made the job available for Rowett. 

He wants higher pressing, more aggressive passing... he got those going and I thought "He's onto something!" Then he steps away from it and goes back towards what was here when he arrived.

I don't expect instant dramatic changes in results or playing style. But I did expect to see gradual pushes and indicators towards system, style and personel he wants to use.

If that's the case then he wants to play exactly as McClaren did before Rowett took over. 

11 minutes ago, eddie said:

I was bored shitless for most of today. Perhaps Rowett was too.

We should have gone for that pint.

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Well, when he got more out of Vydra and that 4231 looked promising, energetic and fairly fluid at the first attempt then i'd thought he'd build on that. 

I'd expect him to use the season to find a central midfield set up that pushed and kept Bryson forward. 

I didn't expect to see the exact same things from the exact same players in the exact same system that we were seeing months ago. Because me, you and Gary Rowett's dog know what that can and can't do. It's the exact same style and system that made the job available for Rowett. 

He wants higher pressing, more aggressive passing... he got those going and I thought "He's onto something!" Then he steps away from it and goes back towards what was here when he arrived.

I don't expect instant dramatic changes in results or playing style. But I did expect to see gradual pushes and indicators towards system, style and personel he wants to use.

If that's the case then he wants to play exactly as McClaren did before Rowett took over. 

But surely you didn't expect different from the same players? That's the point. He maybe might have blooded a few youngsters if injuries allowed, but other than that it was only gonna show up that the players/balance is wrong and the squad NEEDS changing. Rowett cannot get what he wants from this squad, no surprise there surely?

I just hope he's seen enough of our bad traits to make necessary changes. 

For me I want to see how ruthless he's going to be in the summer, it's great saying "I'm going to change X,Y and Z" but if we start the season with the same old faces and the summer isn't what we all hope it is going to be then Gary wont really have a leg to stand on when we are making the same, silly mistakes and having our traditional festive meltdown.

Just be brave Gary, ruthless and brave, that's all I ask 

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But surely you didn't expect different from the same players? That's the point. He maybe might have blooded a few youngsters if injuries allowed, but other than that it was only gonna show up that the players/balance is wrong and the squad NEEDS changing. Rowett cannot get what he wants from this squad, no surprise there surely?

Why not, is that not what good managers do? Your hero Steve Mac did exactly that when he took over.

He got that extra out of everyone.. I'm with Alpha here, not sure what the last few games have delivered that watching CDs of the rest of the season would have told him. 

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Why not, is that not what good managers do? Your hero Steve Mac did exactly that when he took over.

He got that extra out of everyone.. I'm with Alpha here, not sure what the last few games have delivered that watching CDs of the rest of the season would have told him. 

Because as Mac said before he was sacked, the squad needs changing. GR got some results, there was nothing to play for what did you expect?

Archived