Where is Sam?

loweman2

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

took a whole page of comments before this point of view was aired.

thats derby county fans for you!

Think its the timing of said break, and the silence surrounding it.

Surely you'd want to be there for the last game of the season, no? Give your thanks to the fans in the regular column of the programme?

I understand that the club isn't going to print everything, but they make such a big thing about transparency and honesty - the word candid(ly) is mentioned so many times in that Mel interview - so why not just let him have the last column, and announce whatever at season's end? Cuts all the speculation out, stops fans feel like they're being misled.

Then again, what do I know about running a football club? or any business for that matter.

If he is to be removed, though, it's going to be costly - signed a contract to 2020, 5% share of the club...

PistoldPete2

Any suggestion that this is rowett's doing seems wide of the mark.its no secret that  rush and Clough  didn't get on, and Rowett is a Clough acolyte. But it's mel making the decisions now, not rush. And if rush is being shown the door that's mel's doing. Maybe due to poor player  recruitment , although I'm not sure of rush's involvement except in negotiating contracts. 

Daily Telegraph reporting Sam's going to get sacked: 

Mel Morris, the Derby County chairman, is to axe the chief executive, Sam Rush, as part of an inquest into the disappointing season. Rush has been told to stay away for the next two weeks and Morris could bring his four-year tenure to an end after Derby again missed out on promotion.

Rush was given a five-year contract in October 2015 and highlighted as a key figure by Morris when he completed his takeover the same year.

The shake-up comes at a time when Derby, who have had four managers this season, are heading in the right direction under Gary Rowett. Saturday’s 3-1 win over Wolves leaves them ninth.

10 hours ago, ossieram said:

I'm just amazed at the amount of ITK members we have on here!!!

If they are all so ITK, why didn't they tell us that SR was getting hoofed?

Drone failure.

Just now, toddy said:

Is Rush the reason why we spent too much money on most of the players we brought in and gave those players the lavish contracts they are now on? 

Maybe Chris Martin said "It's him or me"

Oohhhhh, player power conspiracy.

I suspect if SR leaves, he’ll end up at a club higher up the pyramid than Derby. That shows that he is a valuable employee.  I sometimes wonder about our corporate governance (mainly as that is the area I work in):

The Board of a large firm should be chaired by a non-executive chairman, and have independent directors on it as well as executive directors (CEO, Finance Director etc) so as to challenge the executive on their performance. Challenge is intended to weed out bad plans, and further improve good plans.  The Board set the strategy (the five year plan or whatever), set the performance targets, and then hold the executive to account on delivering against it. That plan may include improving the academy or facilities and agreeing the targets for all that. It may include targets on the playing side too (x points, playing style, whatever). A budget is set for the executive to operate within.

The Executive (led by the CEO on the non-playing side  and the manager on the playing side) are responsible for delivering against that strategy. They have a clear set of targets against which to be measured and should be left to get on and deliver against those with their performance reviewed at board meetings, with certain major decisions escalated to the Board for approval (e.g. signing players above a certain cost, changing structure of academy etc)

I think DCFC largely adhere to the above structure. But there are important aspects for the above to work:

a) The Executive and Board/Chair both value challenge of their views, and – very importantly - the challenge is done constructively.  I don't know how Mel operates to know what kind of culture there is around challenge of his views; and also whether his challenge of others is constructive. It may well be a good culture. I simply don’t know.

b) The Board/Chair don’t get involved in executive decisions. This muddies responsibilities and accountability and can undermine the authority of the executive, and lead to a disjointed approach. This impacts on the ability of the executive to do their job well.  It feels Mel has crossed a line here once or twice on the playing side; e.g. going into the changing room to yell at the players; implying Derby should be playing a certain formation etc in the statement about the Clement sacking. I don’t know whether he has similarly got involved in the non-playing side from an executive (rather than non-executive) perspective.

Mel himself said that the process around the signings of Johnson, Butterfield, Camara and Blackman didn’t work that well. Mel said the plan included having a pathway to the first team yet he sanctioned the signing of those players anyhow and said that was a (well intentioned) mistake. Credit to him for recognising his mistake.  But the question for me is: How did that mistake come to pass and what can be done to prevent similar mistakes in the future? For example, did the Board/Mel challenge Clement/Rush on how these signings fitted into the strategy/plan?  If not, why not? Or were the Board not consulted?  Again, if not, why not?

Is corporate governance bypassed on some issues; or is Mel such a dominant personality that there aren’t enough checks on him even though the process is technically being followed?  Now it’s his money at the end of the day. But I’m sure he wants robust characters to challenge him so that he ends up with a better outcome for DCFC.

Or is the structure I describe fine for running a corporate firm but unrealistic in the environment of a football club!? As I finish this rather verbose post, I recognise it is a tad nerdy. Sorry to anyone who has read it and is bored!  

9 minutes ago, feisty said:

As I finish this rather verbose post, I recognise it is a tad nerdy. Sorry to anyone who has read it and is bored!  

Thanks. 

He should have got the boot when he thought "iPro Stadium" was the way forward, how long did that deal last? 

He pops up every now and again once he's found a sponsorship for a corner flag or a car parking space, fail to see what else he does...? Ditto John Vicars.

Archived