Darren Bent on Talksport

Carnero

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Despite the fact that he's scored regularly when he's played in pretty much only turbulent sides?

Darren Bent is a great finisher above all else; he knows where the goal is and if you give him the ball in the right areas he'll score goals for you. Having him in the squad doesn't mean we have to play him, but if he scores us a couple of important goals next season, not many people will be complaining about the extension....

Spot on.

If we have the players and play in a way to do this it's a no brainer.

Plus, we don't know if he stays on a salary less than last year.

Good option to have- and a good pro.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

Saved me a job, but I'll reply anyway.

It's speculation on my part, but I wonder if Bent had already activated his extra year.

In fact, here's an interview from February that seems to imply just that . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/07/darren-bent-derby-county-top-flight-leicester-city-fa-cup

Maybe, just maybe, Rowett's hands were tied here.

Just maybe? Sounds a bit more than maybe. GR obviously doesn't want him but has no choice, we are Bent's final cash cow, moo, boooooo

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Owen Bradley has posed an interesting point: that the option for Bent's third year may have been triggered by a clause in his contract...

So that still means he could leave (although now financially with a very nice bonus).

Still think Bent could do a job in the prem, similar to what Crouch does at Stoke. His goals off the bench could be vital to a team like, say, Bournemouth. He'd be more of a useful resource than he is here 

3 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

Saved me a job, but I'll reply anyway.

It's speculation on my part, but I wonder if Bent had already activated his extra year.

In fact, here's an interview from February that seems to imply just that . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/07/darren-bent-derby-county-top-flight-leicester-city-fa-cup

Maybe, just maybe, Rowett's hands were tied here.

It would seem so reading that article. 

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

This was the quote, for those interested:

"I’ve got another year on my contract so I’ll be here next season.

"I’ve been happy here, we’ve got a good bunch of lads down here. In previous seasons we’ve not quite got there, but the club is going in the right direction, we’ve got good backing and we’ve got good players. So as long as we can hold on to them and make one or two additions I think we’ll be fine."

After investing over £30 million on players in recent seasons it's nice to hear that we still need even more to 'be fine.' Very reassuring ....

And it's also good to hear Bent thinks the club is going in the right direction after having 6 different managers in 2 years and it looking like we're about to have our worst finish in 5 years, (possibly 6 if we lose the last 2 games) despite having one of the most expensive squads in the league and presumably one of the highest wage bills. I'd hate to see what we'd be like if we were heading in the wrong direction.

Well, the squad is trimming up nicely.

I was certain he would be first out of the door, but this is positive suprise. Now we just have to find wingers and full backs who can spot his marvellous runs to a back post and can actually deliver ball to him.

4 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Bizarre

So bizarre that I'm inclined to wonder whether @OwenB87 might be right when he suggests the deal was out of Rowett's hands.

Considering we've heard so much about how we should "drain the swamp" and after Rowett's fantastic interview on Monday night, I'm really surprised and slightly disappointed by this. 

If I ignore my concerns about our wage bill, then I love this because Bent's a top goalscorer, whatever way you look at it. He's put in 100% this year, you can't deny that, played a key part in our best period this season and has become a better target man. I've always had a massive soft spot for him and I think he's pretty much as good now as when we signed him. No signs of him falling off the cliff.

All that said, I struggle to see where he fits into the side next season. Under McClaren, I'd have been delighted with him staying but this is the sort of stuff that happens when you change manager three times a season. Things get difficult.

15 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Just maybe? Sounds a bit more than maybe. GR obviously doesn't want him but has no choice, we are Bent's final cash cow, moo, boooooo

He's been playing a bit regularly for a guy who's not wanted hasn't he?

16 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I bet we're playing with 2 strikers next season then, if so it would make sense to have 4 strikers in the squad with Martin, Vydra, Nugent and Bent.

It's good to have options for up front and we could be playing in 4-2-3-1 formation regularly next season which is good thing I think. 

People who are moaning forgot that Bent scored 13 goals this season which is very good IMO. 

11 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Despite the fact that he's scored regularly when he's played in pretty much only turbulent sides?

Darren Bent is a great finisher above all else; he knows where the goal is and if you give him the ball in the right areas he'll score goals for you. Having him in the squad doesn't mean we have to play him, but if he scores us a couple of important goals next season, not many people will be complaining about the extension....

From the little (compared to most) I've seen of him,he takes up great positions in the box,though heaven knows what position you take for left wing crosses.I remember in a game some time ago,he pulled back from a position towards the near post to find space.Cyrus had the ball on our right and could just have  played a simple square ball.but instead decided to go for the line,hassled by an opponent.The ball he eventually played was at an awkward height and Bent volleyed over the bar,cue boos all round.

Maybe Gary will introduce players that make Bent more effective.My mind goes back to a right winger who (I think) played for Reading a few years ago,though I can't remember his name.He was quite a big unit who looked older than he probably was,and I seem to remember some issue with his teeth.However,he'd gain a yard,look up and almost inevitably land the ball on the bonce of a forward.Bet he cost them peanuts as well,and probably wasn't appreciated as much as he should have been.

I've often seen Bent gamely chase a ball sailing into touch,turn round, without a grimace, and put his thumbs up -right idea,but poor ball.I could contrast this with another member of the squad who would grimace, and or throw an arm in the air, if a pass was only just too far ahead.

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

So bizarre that I'm inclined to wonder whether @OwenB87 might be right when he suggests the deal was out of Rowett's hands.

Considering we've heard so much about how we should "drain the swamp" and after Rowett's fantastic interview on Monday night, I'm really surprised and slightly disappointed by this. 

I can personally see that as the only explanation

I'd be very underwhelmed if he started the season for us and if he's not starting why have him as back up on an absolute wedge? 

I like the guy, he's scored goals too but he's not good enough to if we had serious ambitions of going up IMO. It's like playing with 10 men when he isn't scoring, which is more than half of his appearances. 

Well this just says it all really!!

i hope their pay packets are seriously reduced with this option. When we are trying to reduce the wage bill and size of squad this really doesn't make any sense.

i really hope our most talented players don't get sold off in the summer 

Archived