Darren Bent on Talksport

Carnero

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

I don't think he'll get much game time next season, not with Martin back.

Or Martin playing behind striker. 

If Bent is a serious option for starting games then it would appear we have given up.

However, he does represent a good 15 minute sub. My concern is that you can't accurately reward a player on this basis. He won't be hanging around for peanuts. Also, how fit wil he be if he only gets occasional game time?

I see the world's caving in again for a few.

Hardly the end of the world is it?  Signing a contract doesn't make him first choice, seems like a good player to have in the squad (remember that people... a squad), scored a decent number of goals, gives us options and unless it is stopping us sign somebody else better then who gives a flying fig what he is paid. Some are absolutely and unnecessarily obsessed by this and it matters not a jot in all likelihood.  

Wait to see what happens over the summer before chucking yourselves off a cliff.

I really can't fathom the sh*tstorm surrounding this...

Bent has proved this season he is a capable striker in this league, despite his advancing age. He has also scored goals for us during a season where we gave him very little service overall. He's also vastly experienced having played in the top flight for the majority of his career. 

The wage issue is not our job, as fans, to worry about. There are people on the inside of the club, that know far more than we do, whose job it specifically is to worry about this... 

My prediction is Bent will make 15-20 appearances for us next season, mostly off the bench and score 6-8 goals. Now for a player who isn't first choice in his position, and considering by extending his contract a year, we avoid any transfer fees that we'd have to pay for a new forward; I'd say Bent is about as good as we're going to get for a backup striker in the Championship!

You're like bloody kids in a sweet shop some of you.

I seem to remember when GSE were here, the 'Barker type fee' made some of you very angry and showed that we had no ambition. These days no we are spending money we are trying to buy the league and are an embarrassment. 

Then you wanted some 'older heads' a bit more 'experience' in the team. Guess what, now we've got these older heads, they are too old and not the sort of players we want if we are going to improve.

Next up was the 'lack of plan b' when the goals dried up. But to my amazement we now no longer want any plan b type players because they don't fit in with how we play.

Then of course there was the old favourite of quoting that our wage budget was that of a bottom 6 club, and once again this was down to a lack of ambition. These days we want players gone because they earn too much (this being despite the fact that nobody has the slightest clue what individual players earn).

Im fine with people wanting to get rid of Darren Bent based on trimming the squad/wage bill. But you can bet your bottom dollar 5 defeats into the new season the question will be 'why didn't we get a replacement for Darren Bents 13 goals last season'.

It depends if we can afford replacements. If we can, and Bent is here as an experienced alternative in certain game situations, then not a problem. If we are pushing FFP and therefore can't recruit, while we have an aging offside striker on £20k + a week, then that's disappointing. 

Id have given Baird the extension... hell i might even play him 40 times next season and give him the armband.

But Bent????

After watching him contriubute very little except when the ball is played into the box, and seeing how much more useful and hard working NUgent is.... Id have given Bent the boot. Dont forget we are after a different type of CF apparently and we have Martin coming back. IMO Bent hasnt done enough this season.

1 minute ago, jagerbob said:

Id have given Baird the extension... hell i might even play him 40 times next season and give him the armband.

But Bent????

After watching him contriubute very little except when the ball is played into the box, and seeing how much more useful and hard working NUgent is.... Id have given Bent the boot. Dont forget we are after a different type of CF apparently and we have Martin coming back. IMO Bent hasnt done enough this season.

Bent scored 13 goals this season does that 'enough' for you then? 

9 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

It depends if we can afford replacements. If we can, and Bent is here as an experienced alternative in certain game situations, then not a problem. If we are pushing FFP and therefore can't recruit, while we have an aging offside striker on £20k + a week, then that's disappointing. 

We're keeping Bent,yet Gary talks of wanting another striker who's different to the rest.Sounds ominous for someone.

14 minutes ago, ramblur said:

We're keeping Bent,yet Gary talks of wanting another striker who's different to the rest.Sounds ominous for someone.

I don't really get how much more 'different' he wants.

Nugent - hard working link-up man who will run the channels and press.

Martin - static link-up man who can hold the ball up and drop deep and create.

Vydra - ball to feet #10 who likes to turn and run at defences.

Weimann - pure hard work, pace and movement. Threat in behind. 

Bent - pure poacher. 

All we're missing is a traditional brute of a number #9. For one or two positions!

14 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don't really get how much more 'different' he wants.

Nugent - hard working link-up man who will run the channels and press.

Martin - static link-up man who can hold the ball up and drop deep and create.

Vydra - ball to feet #10 who likes to turn and run at defences.

Weimann - pure hard work, pace and movement. Threat in behind. 

Bent - pure poacher. 

All we're missing is a traditional brute of a number #9. For one or two positions!

Which is what I think he will go for, a glen Murray or huggill type player. Someone to get in CBs faces and ruffle them up.

Archived