Darren Bent on Talksport

Carnero

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

He's really not going to say anything else though is he?. He's got to sound like he's eager to keep going even if he really knows his number is up.

When you're fighting for your place, the very worst thing you can do is sound like you're not bothered.

Nothing story. Move along please.

The point is most, if not all, of us thought/were led to believe that Bent was out of contract in the summer, and would be leaving for pastures new with our best wishes. However, Bent now says he's got another year on his contract and he should know!

So it turns out that we reach a transitional summer where outgoings are a necessity, with precisely ZERO senior players leaving due to their contract expiring.

The only explanation I have got for this is that maybe Rowett sees Martin as a long term number 10. Assuming we are going to play 4-2-3-1 next season, Martin to play in behind Nugent with the reserve choice of Vydra playing behind Bent.

We all are in agreement that we have scored no where near enough goals over the last few seasons so maybe one way Rowett attempts to solve this is by going top heavy?

All 4 provide different options

Martin- link up

Nugent- ability to press high and harass defences

Vydra- agility around the opposition's penalty box when we might need a bit more pace to stretch the defences

Bent- If we are chasing a game, the ability to score by being in the right place at the right time.

Rowett alluded to wanting players who provide different options rather than being much of a muchness.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

The only explanation I have got for this is that maybe Rowett sees Martin as a long term number 10. Assuming we are going to play 4-2-3-1 next season, Martin to play in behind Nugent with the reserve choice of Vydra playing behind Bent.

We all are in agreement that we have scored no where near enough goals over the last few seasons so maybe one way Rowett attempts to solve this is by going top heavy?

All 4 provide different options

Martin- link up

Nugent- ability to press high and harass defences

Vydra- agility around the opposition's penalty box when we might need a bit more pace to stretch the defences

Bent- If we are chasing a game, the ability to score by being in the right place at the right time.

Rowett alluded to wanting players who provide different options rather than being much of a muchness.

Pretty sure he said on radio Derby Monday night that he will also look for a different type of striker? I may be wrong, it was late and I was sleepy

1 minute ago, dajstrawb said:

Pretty sure he said on radio Derby Monday night that he will also look for a different type of striker? I may be wrong, it was late and I was sleepy

Yep he did say that. The only really different style of striker to the ones I listed there is a genuine target man who can win headers if we want to go long?

47 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

The point is most, if not all, of us thought/were led to believe that Bent was out of contract in the summer, and would be leaving for pastures new with our best wishes. However, Bent now says he's got another year on his contract and he should know!

So it turns out that we reach a transitional summer where outgoings are a necessity, with precisely ZERO senior players leaving due to their contract expiring.

Oh, OK. Ignore what I said then.........

I like him. He's alright. Got goals in him when we need them and at times has rescued us this season. I just don't like him up top alone because he doesn't contribute to our general play. Goals aren't everything. But they are the hardest thing to come across, so if he stays, I'm happy with that. I had only resigned to him going because I thought he was out of contract and perhaps not worth a new deal. 

7 minutes ago, philmycock said:

That's another season in the championship then, madness, he's dross

Despite the fact that he's scored regularly when he's played in pretty much only turbulent sides?

Darren Bent is a great finisher above all else; he knows where the goal is and if you give him the ball in the right areas he'll score goals for you. Having him in the squad doesn't mean we have to play him, but if he scores us a couple of important goals next season, not many people will be complaining about the extension....

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Owen Bradley has posed an interesting point: that the option for Bent's third year may have been triggered by a clause in his contract...

Saved me a job, but I'll reply anyway.

It's speculation on my part, but I wonder if Bent had already activated his extra year.

In fact, here's an interview from February that seems to imply just that . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/07/darren-bent-derby-county-top-flight-leicester-city-fa-cup

Maybe, just maybe, Rowett's hands were tied here.

Archived