Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Martin and would be sad to see him go, probably the overall best striker I remember for derby since Dean Saunders and Dean sturridge.

But, we know he can be a tempramental old sod and with him not playing you would expect him to be unhappy and banging on rowetts day quite often. It would be wise having him happily playing footy somewhere than sulking about the place.

My only concern is if Martin, Bent, Vernam and Zanzala go as well as Blackman we are leaving ourselves dangerously short for a crucial part of the season.

Nugent is already being 'rotated', although Winnall is some replacement. 

I hope Rowett as an ace up his sleeve.

35 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I love Martin and would be sad to see him go, probably the overall best striker I remember for derby since Dean Saunders and Dean sturridge.

But, we know he can be a tempramental old sod and with him not playing you would expect him to be unhappy and banging on rowetts day quite often. It would be wise having him happily playing footy somewhere than sulking about the place.

My only concern is if Martin, Bent, Vernam and Zanzala go as well as Blackman we are leaving ourselves dangerously short for a crucial part of the season.

Nugent is already being 'rotated', although Winnall is some replacement. 

I hope Rowett as an ace up his sleeve.

Rather unfair to suggest he is sulking around the place, all I have seen is someone trying their hardest to get in the team and contributing when they can. He is one of the reasons why Vydra nugent winnall have done so well because if they don’t they would out of the team

16 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Rather unfair to suggest he is sulking around the place, all I have seen is someone trying their hardest to get in the team and contributing when they can. He is one of the reasons why Vydra nugent winnall have done so well because if they don’t they would out of the team

Which then raises the question...why?

If he is all you say, if he is the reason why our strikers are doing so well, why the hell get rid of him?

45 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Nothing wrong with Martins body language when he came on v the Blades,he looked up for it.

Unfortunately all(most of) the attacking passes were in behind and Martin was not running through or is he ever likely too with great success,where as Winnall was making those runs.

He didn’t look like a man who was sulking just one who’s probably in the wrong team.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-chris-martin-1049878

Some interesting comments from Rowett on Martin.

"I am sure if you asked Chris, he wants to play football, he wants to play more regularly. He knows he has the ability to affect Championship teams but the reality is Nugent, Vydra and Winnall have scored more goals and been in good form."

"I am sure the scenario will come to a natural conclusion but we are certainly not trying to push Chris Martin out of the door," Rowett added.

6 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-chris-martin-1049878

"I am sure if you asked Chris, he wants to play football, he wants to play more regularly. He knows he has the ability to affect Championship teams but the reality is Nugent, Vydra and Winnall have scored more goals and been in good form."

"I am sure the scenario will come to a natural conclusion but we are certainly not trying to push Chris Martin out of the door," Rowett added.

Seems to me that he is not being pushed, but the comments underline what has been apparent for some while - he is Rowett’s 4th choice striker. I can’t accurately recall the comment, and I don’t want to click on the DET link again, but he used the word quite, as in has done quite well when played. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Taxi!

10 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Rowett: ‘player I haven’t given credible game time hasn’t scored goals’

In all seriousness, I’m glad he’s come out and stated something on the situation 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Seems to me that he is not being pushed, but the comments underline what has been apparent for some while - he is Rowett’s 4th choice striker. I can’t accurately recall the comment, and I don’t want to click on the DET link again, but he used the word quite, as in has done quite well when played. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Taxi!

Absolutely correct. I would call that damning by feint praise. If I was Derby County manager, I would be doing everthing within my power  to keep hold of him. Football is a fickle mistress...A couple of injuries and we could be short of fire power. CM is proven at Champ level, he is an intelligent and experienced pro. He has scored plenty of goals and offers a different attacking option. He's also good for the team. I just hope CM bides his time. He has spent prolonged periods on the bench before { eg before his first loan with us, he was at somewhere like Swindon where he was on the bench a lot}. I believe GR should be showing CM a bit more love ...take a trip around the football fora around the Championship and there are a lot of fans who are saying "we should go and get CM from Derby". Imagine your average Championship centre half, relieved at the sight of Nugent being withdrawn, only to look across and seeing the wardrobe stretching his legs...We need to keep hold of him. :mellow:   

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely correct. I would call that damning by feint praise. If I was Derby County manager, I would be doing everthing within my power  to keep hold of him. Football is a fickle mistress...A couple of injuries and we could be short of fire power. CM is proven at Champ level, he is an intelligent and experienced pro. He has scored plenty of goals and offers a different attacking option. He's also good for the team. I just hope CM bides his time. He has spent prolonged periods on the bench before { eg before his first loan with us, he was at somewhere like Swindon where he was on the bench a lot}. I believe GR should be showing CM a bit more love ...take a trip around the football fora around the Championship and there are a lot of fans who are saying "we should go and get CM from Derby". Imagine your average Championship centre half, relieved at the sight of Nugent being withdrawn, only to look across and seeing the wardrobe stretching his legs...We need to keep hold of him. :mellow:   

Agreed, but will Martin be happy to sit on the bench in hope that someone gets injured so he can get a regular spot?

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I read the article, even though it was DET...

A conclusion from Rowett's comments: Martin is as good as gone if someone just makes a bid.

14 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Ella Not sure its feint praise because that's all has been when called upon He's been on OK no more than that  It would have been feint praise if GR had said he's been brilliant when called upon because he hasn't  I hope we keep hold of him but GR is being fair by saying if we get an offer for Chris we will sit down and see what he wants to do If he says he would like to go fair enough if he wants to stay and fight for his place I'm OK with that . Personally with contract he's on can't see him going anywhere maybe a couple of under23s matches to get his sharpness up would help

14 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Ella Not sure its feint praise because that's all has been when called upon He's been on OK no more than that  It would have been feint praise if GR had said he's been brilliant when called upon because he hasn't  I hope we keep hold of him but GR is being fair by saying if we get an offer for Chris we will sit down and see what he wants to do If he says he would like to go fair enough if he wants to stay and fight for his place I'm OK with that . Personally with contract he's on can't see him going anywhere maybe a couple of under23s matches to get his sharpness up would help

So you forget about the games when he has been brought on as sub and improved a poor performance of the team. Martin had two excellent games and then was dropped against Reading, which we then lost. Since then he hasn't had a real chance.

The reality is that Rowett is comparing players with vast amounts of game time with a player who has had few chances and very little game time. Not surprising that Martin has scored fewer goals. The outcome is determined solely by Rowett's choices ( which as a manager he is clearly entitled to make ). if he thinks a player doesn't fit and so gives him little game time then his goal output will be small.How could Martin compete with Vydra and Nugent on that basis. Winnall has scored more goals but I am unsure about the rest of his play -the verdict is still out until we have seen him start in far more games.

What is harder to take than Rowetts choices is the attitude of some slimeballs on here. Looking at what Martin has done for the club ( and he didn't ask to be out on transfer last season) how are the insults justified e.g. calling him a 'pig'?

It would be best for him to be transferred but if Nugent were to be injured we would be in difficulty without a replacement.

45 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Totally agree with you on this @Ellafellabut if it’s “feint praise” it could go one way or another! As for “faint praise”, it’d make everyone concerned light headed!!?

3 minutes ago, DRBee said:

So you forget about the games when he has been brought on as sub and improved a poor performance of the team. Martin had two excellent games and then was dropped against Reading, which we then lost. Since then he hasn't had a real chance.

The reality is that Rowett is comparing players with vast amounts of game time with a player who has had few chances and very little game time. Not surprising that Martin has scored fewer goals. The outcome is determined solely by Rowett's choices ( which as a manager he is clearly entitled to make ). if he thinks a player doesn't fit and so gives him little game time then his goal output will be small.How could Martin compete with Vydra and Nugent on that basis. Winnall has scored more goals but I am unsure about the rest of his play -the verdict is still out until we have seen him start in far more games.

What is harder to take than Rowetts choices is the attitude of some slimeballs on here. Looking at what Martin has done for the club ( and he didn't ask to be out on transfer last season) how are the insults justified e.g. calling him a 'pig'?

It would be best for him to be transferred but if Nugent were to be injured we would be in difficulty without a replacement.

Hope your not referring to me has some slimeballl on here  Suggest you have a coffee and a Hobnob then go and read my post properly You maybe a Martin lover who can't bear anybody to criticise him But to me he's just another player who can't make the team at the moment 

Archived