Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Wasn’t the clique invented when people tried to justify Pearson’s clear-out? 

Possibly. But that group of players has been together for a long time. I'd be surprised if they hadn't developed a close social group.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You make them sound like gorillas or something

Sorry, I'll make sure to use a more concise and appealing synonym for clique in my future posts.

2 minutes ago, Hector was the best said:

Coleman, not very happy with him, and who can blame him, he been messed about by Martin. :angry: 

Coleman needs to realise that any player coming from clubs above Sunderland (and there are a lot of those clubs) is probably having to weigh up how enjoyable the whole experience is likely to be.

4 minutes ago, Hector was the best said:

Coleman, not very happy with him, and who can blame him, he been messed about by Martin. :angry: 

We don't know exactly what's happened (and who could blame Martin for wanting to avoid Sunderland), but there is a danger that he'll get a reputation for being difficult/trouble (if he hasn't already after the fun and games at Fulham) and that will make it harder for him to find another club and for us to get anything in terms of a transfer fee. Hate to say it, but I can see him staying with us (on very good money) but being nowhere near playing for us ever again while letting his contract run down....

1 minute ago, Hector was the best said:

I like that Martin doesn't like being out on loan. We act like anything other than being an unwavering professional is despicable, but it's just a reaction to how unhappy he is at being out of the picture.

There's no sign of a negative reaction in-house at Derby, he looks to be putting a lot of effort in when he comes on as a sub. He's channeling it all at other clubs and in my opinion that's the best place for it.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

The "clique" disintegrating at worst means Martin has lost status within the group, but he may well be of the mentality that if Derby do get promoted and he thinks he's good enough - it's just a matter of effort for him to fight his way back into Rowett's first team plans. The chance of PL football might outweigh wanting to be playing regularly.

Whether anyone agrees or not, that could be where his head is at. 

I hope so. I’m a big Chris Martin fan and would love him to get back to his best in a Derby shirt. 

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Any indication he does? (want to fight for his place that is.....)

Every indication he does. Rowett has said he's been impressed with the attitude of all the players not starting and would be quite happy if the window closed with no ins and outs and he kept his squad. But that if Martin wants a guarantee of more football elsewhere the manager would understand that and let him go.

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

No problems at all for me if Chrissy Martin wants to stay and fight for his place.

Only becomes a problem for me if his failure/refusal to go prevents someone coming in who will play regularly in the first team and improve us.

If JR goes this window we definitely need a wide man in, and if that's being blocked because we can't free up money due to people not moving, then yes, it's a problem.

21 minutes ago, Hector was the best said:

Just interested to know what makes you say he's messed Coleman about? Way I see it, without knowing all the facts I hasten to add, is that he's taken his time mulling over the move. Afterall it will probably be his last big move so on that basis it's hardly surprising that he didn't jump into it without giving due consideration.

96hrs is a long time, but he's one of
a) cba with leaving, is happy to stay on the bench
b) wants to fight for his place
c) wants somewhere closer for family reasons or
d) wants somewhere 'better' than Sunderland for footballing reasons

Why do people automatically reach for the most negative? His comments after coming back from Fulham would suggest its more likely to be c, in my eyes.

Archived