Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

On 8 December 2017 at 15:46, Ninos said:

It actually makes him a bad player since he repeats this over and over 

in fairness to Martin if you’ve got no pace no hustle no goalscoring ability and cannot beat a player one on one then how else are you supposed to make a living as a striker in football? The answer : Convince everyone you hold the ball up and are clever. What Butterfield is to a midfield Martin is to a forward line: appears to be useful but next to zero impact 

I’m not falling for any of it .. I would have if he’d have won the game at wembley or pulled off some kind of heroics like score 24 seconds in v forest or get a hat trick at Boro ... but it’s not in his repertoire I’m afraid to make a real difference. 

Ramage is right: if we could get 5-7m andput half of that to a real player like Afobe we’d be laughing all the way into the PL. Its really not very controversial at all

the difference maker on our team is Vydra right now ... 

The difference is playing a good player in the right position with players around him that understand his style. Yes he is the difference but only because he is being used in the right way. 

everything beyond a first touch is about combinations and set up, those partnerships and groupings that gel. Martin isn't my favourite striker but at this level he is a good player, and any good player will flourish with tactics, blend and a partner. I think all our 4 front men have something to offer in a GR team. Football is a team game you build a unit and a style that works together and have a fallback position if a key player is injured. Something we never really cracked with Mac

Martin can play and has a touch and is more than worthy of a place in the squad. ( note I said squad as in an option we can use rather than a one dimensional Mac system with little variety ) GR is switching strike partnerships around and looking at his mixes. I am delighted .. I want to see Nuge and Martin given a go together aswell

GR has begun to shape things so that he has more than one team. Martin has a deserved place in one of those teams. I am not saying he is PL ... Few of our players are, but in this league he has rank 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I don't get what it is that so divides us about Martin.

In my eyes, he's the best forward we've had since Sturridge, if not Saunders, yet it seems half the fan base positively dislike him.

Stats back me up, and he seems more than willing to knuckle down when not selected, wait for his chance and contribute when he can.

Why can't certain people accept he's one of a number of decent forwards we seem to have at the moment, and be happy when he plays a part, and equally praise others when he doesn't?

It's a tiny minority who are unable to accept that Martin is still very much a quality player but they are paranoid in their criticism so it just feels like there's more of them that's actually the case.

9 hours ago, reveldevil said:

In my eyes, he's the best forward we've had since Sturridge, if not Saunders, yet it seems half the fan base positively dislike him.

Stats back me up, and he seems more than willing to knuckle down when not selected, wait for his chance and contribute when he can.

Why can't certain people accept he's one of a number of decent forwards we seem to have at the moment, and be happy when he plays a part, and equally praise others when he doesn't?

According to studies, normally people would not have as polarising views, but some do on the internet. A strange phenomenon which might have something to do with lack of social skills or low self-esteem... or at least that's the conclusion researchers has ended up with.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

According to studies, normally people would not have as polarising views, but some do on the internet. A strange phenomenon which might have something to do with lack of social skills or low self-esteem... or at least that's the conclusion researchers has ended up with.

Interesting... Nothing to do with martin, but have you got a source for these studies? 

2 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Interesting... Nothing to do with martin, but have you got a source for these studies? 

Here is couple easily reachable, mostly about how polarising happens online. To dig deeper for the reasons, you would need to check what social psychology and psychology says about group behavior and roles, social identity, social corroboration etc... There are papers for it too if you want to look for them.

DiMaggio, P., Hargittai, E., Neuman, W. R., & Robinson, J. P. (2001). Social implications of the Internet. Annual review of sociology, 27(1), 307-336.

Yardi, S., & Boyd, D. (2010). Dynamic debates: An analysis of group polarization over time on twitter. Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, 30(5), 316-327.

On 09/12/2017 at 22:17, reveldevil said:

Martin is frustrating at times

Martin falls over alot

martin isn't in the under 23's

martin doesn't run around like a headless chicken

martin isn't quick

he sulks and moans a lot.

he chews gum

thats some of the reasons some people don't like/rate him. For everyone else with a footballing brain he's a good footballer that is technically better and quicker thinking than most of the players around him.

31 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Martin falls over alot

martin isn't quick

he chews gum

thats some of the reasons some people don't like/rate him. For everyone else with a footballing brain he's a good footballer that is technically better and quicker thinking than most of the players around him.

I like the majority of things mentioned above.

He falls over a lot, winning us free kicks and possession.

I think he's quicker than we realise.

He sulks and moans a lot because he makes intelligent runs with no service. He also wants to win and so do I.

If he goes I think we will miss him.  

58 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Martin falls over alot

martin isn't quick

he chews gum

Let's not start this again... 

FTR i do agree with everything you are saying, just think the term is silly that's all

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

Martin falls over alot

martin isn't quick

he chews gum

You what!? 

Sack him immediately! GR out!

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:00, rynny said:

Well no, because we had changed our style, as I said, we were playing slow, pass it around the back, and we weren't just relying on Martin, we had Ince that we also relied on.

You say we don't build up as much centrally but we build up more than any other team through the centre in this league.

Also no Forsyth, I still think he is critical for Martin's style of play, if we had someone as good on the overlap on the right side I think we would be an established Premier side by now

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, sage said:

I am starting to fear the worst after not coming off the bench in the last 2 games.

At least 2 people would be happy.

You’re fears are founded unfortunately, I was told Martin is leaving in January alongside Shackell and Olsson from a source within the club. Annoyed personally, he’s great competition for Nugent and will need replacing.

Hope what I’ve heard is wrong, it’s secondhand and has been before so don’t shoot the messenger, but I fear for us if it is true.

11 minutes ago, sage said:

I am starting to fear the worst after not coming off the bench in the last 2 games.

At least 2 people would be happy.

I have to say that I've had the same reservation. If he doesn't make an appearance over the festive period then it would be a fair assumption to think that somebody has expressed an interest or he's asked to be released. Too good a player to be a bench warmer at this level in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well,we just need the same to happen to Thorne and my disconnect with rowett ball will be complete.

Great

Really,really great.

I'd be choked...but remember when Tommy Smith and Inigo Idiakez left? It felt like the end of the world. Wasn't.

13 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well,we just need the same to happen to Thorne and my disconnect with rowett ball will be complete.

Great

Really,really great.

I'd be surprised if he let Thorne go without a fight but I doubt he'd put up the same fight for CM. If CMs time is up then he can go with his head held high. All the ones that called him out for being a whiney trouble maker couldn't have been more wrong. Frustrating as it must have been for him to be out in the cold, he's just got his head down and got on with it. Good luck to him if it has to be. I for one appreciate all he's done for our club. 

Archived