Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

12 minutes ago, irobinson said:

You are not going to get that for Chris Martin - 4/5 mil would still be a steal - as we got him on a free 

What we got him for is irrelevant, what we can get for him now is irrelevant. Jordan Rhodes went for £10m. Britt whatshisface went for £15m. Anyone picking Chris up for £8m is laughing, as they've got a top striker for less than market rate. The cheaper, the bigger the grin.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he is on his way, and I suspect many will be disappointed by the fee we get.  What we don’t know is how much Rush and McClown valued his services at the last contract renewal. My instincts are far too highly, making any sale price negotiation difficult. He won’t be of any interest to a premiership side, and with him unlikely to want to go abroad, there would appear therefore to be only (a few) Championship options.  Wolves for £3-4m wouldn’t surprise me.

42 minutes ago, needles said:

What we got him for is irrelevant, what we can get for him now is irrelevant. Jordan Rhodes went for £10m. Britt whatshisface went for £15m. Anyone picking Chris up for £8m is laughing, as they've got a top striker for less than market rate. The cheaper, the bigger the grin.

Problem is Martin hasn’t been playing regularly for a while now, age isn’t on his side to be a potential signing, he should be at his peak but he’s not even first choice, value will be on the decline. 

Seen claims of him being 4th choice which is nonsense, minutes on the pitch he’s second, Winnall has had half the time he has despite scoring more goals.

Clubs pay big money for inform or big name strikers. Martin is currently neither right now. No chance of a double figure fee, wasn’t getting offers like that when Pearson was here and recently found himself on the bench.

Transfer fees are always weird as we paid £4.5 million for Anya who’s age was against him and was not playing for Watford but we will probably end up moving on a very good performer for a relatively small fee - we generally do poorly on transfer fees compared to what I perceive to be true value

Return to Fulham a poss? They need a striker and he did ok there 

5 mill is the max we will get for him in my view ,he’s not first choice for us ,not scoring and probably on biggish wages so it’s a bit of a buyers market with Chris at this point as we are scoring ok without him in the side and we are looking to trim and wheel and deal 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Transfer fees are always weird as we paid £4.5 million for Anya who’s age was against him and was not playing for Watford but we will probably end up moving on a very good performer for a relatively small fee - we generally do poorly on transfer fees compared to what I perceive to be true value

Think the days of us paying stupid money for anja type signings may be over with rowett at the helm

3 hours ago, David said:

Problem is Martin hasn’t been playing regularly for a while now, age isn’t on his side to be a potential signing, he should be at his peak but he’s not even first choice, value will be on the decline. 

Seen claims of him being 4th choice which is nonsense, minutes on the pitch he’s second, Winnall has had half the time he has despite scoring more goals.

Clubs pay big money for inform or big name strikers. Martin is currently neither right now. No chance of a double figure fee, wasn’t getting offers like that when Pearson was here and recently found himself on the bench.

I get the market rate position. My point is that if I was a Championship manager today, with a few quid to spend, I'd be delighted at the prospect of picking up Chris Martin for £8m or even less. Goals, hold-up play, vision, defensive work at set pieces.

I think we should keep him...but I accept that's probably sentimental.

2 minutes ago, needles said:

I get the market rate position. My point is that if I was a Championship manager today, with a few quid to spend, I'd be delighted at the prospect of picking up Chris Martin for £8m or even less. Goals, hold-up play, vision, defensive work at set pieces.

I think we should keep him...but I accept that's probably sentimental.

I agree and probably out of sentimentality too. The only way we should let him go is if he's expressed a desire to move on. No point keeping a player that is unhappy. Up to press he hasn't outwardly shown any such feelings. As you say, not many if any Championship managers would be unhappy with having his talents at their disposal. It would be a gamble to sell if we don't have to. 

I can see him going to Sheffield Wednesday now that McClaren is apparently there.

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/265128-please-no/

It will mean that Martin won't need to move house away from his family as it's a reachable commute. If he leaves, I hope we will be able to squeeze out a couple more million because we know that McClaren is a fan of his.

39 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Or unless we definitely have a player coming in that would be ahead of him for the strikers role - like Danny Ings.

There is that I suppose but I'd still keep him unless he wants to leave. A player like Ings would be an upgrade on Winnall. Ings would slot nicely into how we set up to play now. Martin however gives us the option to vary how set up. He would be very hard to replace in that respect.

51 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I can see him going to Sheffield Wednesday now that McClaren is apparently there.

It will mean that Martin won't need to move house away from his family as it's a reachable commute. If he leaves, I hope we will be able to squeeze out a couple more million because we know that McClaren is a fan of his.

Intresting one that, they have no money though! If Mac turned up there it wouldn’t be a surprise if Martin and Thorne pitched up there and I say that with a heavy heart 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Haha love it how the thread title is called 'please no'! Me and @Mafiabob are way ahead of you though - we made this call AGES ago.

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

Or unless we definitely have a player coming in that would be ahead of him for the strikers role - like Danny Ings.

If Martin was to leave and you sign Ings then you will need to bring in another striker because as soon as Ings breaks down you will need his replacement. He's played 8 first team games in 2 years. If he stays injury free, there's reported to be at least 3 PL clubs jnterested, said to be on £50k+ a week money and Liverpool would want a substantial fee for him, not least because Burnley are due a 20% sell-on.

All In all, virtually no chance of coming to us - we keeping Martin instead makes much more sense.

6 minutes ago, KCG said:

I bet anyone from DCFC reading this forum falls about laughing. Hopefully, Rowett has far better things to do that read some of the dross written on here.

Funny I always thought football forums were for debate /talking ******** in equal proportions .

Archived