Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

3 minutes ago, needles said:

I'd be choked...but remember when Tommy Smith and Inigo Idiakez left? It felt like the end of the world. Wasn't.

Aye,I know

It's the end of an era that got me sooo excited about derby county again though after years and years of meh that saw my passion slowly fading away.

Wish I could get as equally excited by the football we play now but I just cant...and I'm really trying to,I really am.

I miss the one touch passing,interplay and frankly wonderful derby football that martin typified.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, sage said:

I am starting to fear the worst after not coming off the bench in the last 2 games.

At least 2 people would be happy.

It's funny, Ive kinda thought they were the same person with two accounts.

Yeah I've been fearing it too, it's an obvious mistake especially because I dont think the Vydra/Nuge partnership is this perfect partnership that Ramage or the DCFC media team like to envisage. But hey, I feel absolutely ground down when talking now about Martin, I hope he comes in scores a goal and it kicks off his season but I don't think he'll get that under Rowett. I hope I'm wrong on that, but he's had a raw deal this season.

It does feel like unless the class of 13/14 is recreated or moved on, Rowett will never be given a fair crack.

I like Martin as a player, was great to see him come back, it's a shame his game time has been limited but it's been limited because Rowett has found a system that works for us and is getting results. 

Before today we were the leagues second top scorers sat in 3rd, we're not exactly a side that's been struggling or in front of goal, had we been mid table and not scoring or trying anything new the criticism would be deserved.

If he was to leave next month I would be disappointed, disappointed as he's a quality player at this level which is where you would imagine he would move to and a rival most likely. The thing is, he wouldn't actually be a huge loss for us, I say that purely on the game time he's had, you can't miss something that's not been there. 

Would have to be an extremely good offer to let him go, hard to see where that would come from, been talk of Wolves but he's unlikely to start games there either and would be in the same situation as he is here, Bristol City are not struggling for goals either, Cardiff the money isn't there, same as Sheff United, Villa and possible Boro given the summer spending spree, scrolling down the table and it looks less likely seeing anyone that would match his ability and have the money other than one club, Leeds maybe?

Would ideally like to keep for the different attacking options he offers at least until the end of the season. To be realistic he just hasn't got the attributes for a counter attacking side. Villa may be in for him as haven't won in 5 and Bruce's team of could've been Rams players aren't producing it.

P.S The cricket is zzzzzzzzz

1 hour ago, sage said:

I am starting to fear the worst after not coming off the bench in the last 2 games.

I agree. The same thought occurred to me.

if he doesn't start v ipswich then something is up. 

I like Martin as a player but there are so many limititations when playing him. He thrives in a team that plays with one striker because he' greedy with his space (not a bad thing in the right system ) but if we were to get £5 + million for him and could replace him with someone who is more adaptable to our system I'd be all for it . No disrespect to Martin but I trust Rowett 100 % And he knows what he wants .

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Aye,I know

It's the end of an era that got me sooo excited about derby county again though after years and years of meh that saw my passion slowly fading away.

Wish I could get as equally excited by the football we play now but I just cant...and I'm really trying to,I really am.

I miss the one touch passing,interplay and frankly wonderful derby football that martin typified.

It’s not an either/or. That’s what Mcclaren tried to make us believe. Only one way to play attractive football - 4-3-3 with Martin. Do Liverpool or Spurs or Man City play that way ? Hull game was dizzyingly DIRE I agree. But I think much of that is down to the non creativity of Ledley and to a lesser extent Hudds. They are “dry” midfield players and on Tuesday it was mind numbing to endure.

I miss some of the past football too and I don’t mind a Martin type but if we have one he needs to be faster, a presser, a worker, a scorer, one who delivers when it matters, with the same ability to lay balls off. This guy just ain’t got what it takes and never has had. In sum he’s one dimensional.

6 hours ago, Ninos said:

It’s not an either/or. That’s what Mcclaren tried to make us believe. Only one way to play attractive football - 4-3-3 with Martin. Do Liverpool or Spurs or Man City play that way ? Hull game was dizzyingly DIRE I agree. But I think much of that is down to the non creativity of Ledley and to a lesser extent Hudds. They are “dry” midfield players and on Tuesday it was mind numbing to endure.

I miss some of the past football too and I don’t mind a Martin type but if we have one he needs to be faster, a presser, a worker, a scorer, one who delivers when it matters, with the same ability to lay balls off. This guy just ain’t got what it takes and never has had. In sum he’s one dimensional.

And never has...

You really are a piece of work.

One dimensional?

Right back at you fella!

11 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I like Martin as a player but there are so many limititations when playing him. He thrives in a team that plays with one striker because he' greedy with his space (not a bad thing in the right system ) but if we were to get £5 + million for him and could replace him with someone who is more adaptable to our system I'd be all for it . No disrespect to Martin but I trust Rowett 100 % And he knows what he wants .

Yes agree with all that Martin is very good at what he does ie hold up play although he's in a drought at the moment he is a great finisher   But his style is alien to the way Rowett wants us to play He had is success at Brum hitting teams on the break at speed using Donaldson and Damari Grays speed  Will anyone buy Martin not sure about that He's still got a very good three year contract he won't be in any hurry to just please the club and leave But I'm withRiddings I trust Rowett 100% it may not be this season but he will get us there Yesterday we started with just three of his signings 

He has either got a niggle we don't know about.........or is being protected from injury..........probably the latter. Given a chance he will want to go elsewhere and PLAY  ...... and GR will use the money to further develop his options.and progress the side.

14 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Aye,I know

Yep can fully understand that sentiment , yes it was a golden few seasons after having watched us for so so long being a side that couldn’t pass water we found ourselves watching a real quality side and just like you I loved it , was proud that they were my team playing like that so don’t think for one moment that I don’t know where your coming from with that view 

the thing is though that that side was a planets lining up situation, it was assembled by clough ,coached by Mac and supplemented by real good youngsters coming through like Hughes ,, it was an era and should be remembered with the respect and fondness it deserves but it was an era and it has come to an end and no amount of keeping hold of the odd player from it or the coach or clough will recreate it and no amount of blaming Rowett or Mel will change it either ,,, football moves on ( not just derby ) and you have to move with it or go under 

the rowett ball thing is just crazy and a byeproduct of the hangover from that era , I have seen some great goals scored under rowett , vydra has been electric to watch and I love us winning games ,

the loyalty you show to Martin is admirable and the lack of respect some show him for the performances he put in in that era is really sad  but if he no longer fits the way we play it’s better for him he moves and better for the fans ,,, why spoil the memory of him at his best in a side that fit him like a glove ?

I'd argue that it may well be time to let CM leave. £8 million is a very healthy fee for someone who isn't in our first XI and as to the points regarding him being our best striker, I feel that mantle has passed to Vydra. Also, Martin only seems to thrive when a team is based around his strengths. 

We built a team around Martin in 13/14 and 14/15 and we're still in the Championship. Let's play to Vydra's strengths and see what we can do!

4 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

I'd argue that it may well be time to let CM leave. £8 million is a very healthy fee for someone who isn't in our first XI and as to the points regarding him being our best striker, I feel that mantle has passed to Vydra. Also, Martin only seems to thrive when a team is based around his strengths. 

We built a team around Martin in 13/14 and 14/15 and we're still in the Championship. Let's play to Vydra's strengths and see what we can do!

Where's £8million been mentioned ? 

Archived