Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

36 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If Martin was to leave and you sign Ings then you will need to bring in another striker because as soon as Ings breaks down you will need his replacement. He's played 8 first team games in 2 years. If he stays injury free, there's reported to be at least 3 PL clubs jnterested, said to be on £50k+ a week money and Liverpool would want a substantial fee for him, not least because Burnley are due a 20% sell-on.

All In all, virtually no chance of coming to us - we keeping Martin instead makes much more sense.

Yes agree no chance of him coming to us But not sure keeping Martin makes sense yes he's a good player not in a million years will he ever fit Rowetts style of play he likes mobile runners something CM will never be 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Yes agree no chance of him coming to us But not sure keeping Martin makes sense yes he's a good player not in a million years will he ever fit Rowetts style of play he likes mobile runners something CM will never be 

It’s just a switch , in the Mac team the midfield did the running for striker ( Martin ) rowett has the strikers doing the running for the midfielders

5 hours ago, archied said:

It’s just a switch , in the Mac team the midfield did the running for striker ( Martin ) rowett has the strikers doing the running for the midfielders

Yes have to agree I've no axe to grind about CM a committed and in the mood Martin is a great player for us but and there's always a but with him which CM is going to turn up having said that I don't want to see him go 

12 hours ago, Harrowram said:

Martin can go for 7 million but who do you replace him with?

I've yet to see anyone answer this question with a genuinely good and realistic suggestion, which shows how niche the market is for hard working, technical strikers. Replacing him would be an absolutely horrific task, not only are the options limited but the prices would be astronomical.

Unless Martin himself wants to go we should just keep him. Forwards are one of the last positions we need movement in, we're very well balanced there.

20 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

7m for a player who only gets limited time from the bench seems fine to me. 

Bent, Winnall and Nugent offer enough competition for the 1 starting striker position. 

Maybe a loan move for Lookman if Everton sign another striker (which looks likely)

I would keep Martin and let Bent go.....

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would keep Martin and let Bent go.....

Not saying I agree or disagree , but to flip the argument on its head. I doubt Martin will start many games under Rowett so who would you think is more likely to Nick a goal in the last 10 minutes off the bench ? If needed of course.

If Martin goes, do you need to replace him?

If we're after a first team squad of 22 or fewer, there's space for 2 strikers maximum. Winnall and Nugent.

Shouldn't our third choice striker be the cream of the crop from the Academy? Isn't that the vision anyway?

7 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

who would you think is more likely to Nick a goal in the last 10 minutes off the bench

Let's flip that question, we are winning 1-0 with 10 minutes to go we are under the cosh, Nugent is down who would you prefer to bring on? Bent or Martin?

If we don't need to cash in then personally I wouldn't sell anyone, strength in depth will be invaluable in the run in.

7m would be very tempting for nearly anyone in the squad though, and I'm sure it would be accepted if we needed to raise funds before redeveloping the squad in Rowetts vision. 

There is always the 'other' factor to consider, unhappiness from any player not currently playing?  Would him want to force a move away? I'm sure his newish contract is very healthy, it's unlikely to be much better anywhere else?

20 minutes ago, Duracell said:

If Martin goes, do you need to replace him?

If we're after a first team squad of 22 or fewer, there's space for 2 strikers maximum. Winnall and Nugent.

Shouldn't our third choice striker be the cream of the crop from the Academy? Isn't that the vision anyway?

Yeah but the 2 creams have just had loan spells at Riddings Rovers and didn't really impress - we wouldn't want to go into the last few games aiming for second with a developing striker. I reckon GR has an ace up his sleeve - if Martin is sold, someone exciting will be coming in.

5 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Why? Why do they do that sometimes and not others?

Usually, one party (club in this case) of the transfer don't want to make the figures public. Just avoiding being criticized to pay/receive too much/little.

Archived