Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

I have watched and chuckled at this debate from the sidelines for over a year now.

Agreed, opinions are divided...and just like an @rsehole - we all have one

What I don't actually undesrtand is the scathing comments and castegation from some fans surrounding Chris Martin.

For my two penneth I think he is more of a complete player than anyone else in the squad.

Some harp about his supposed negativity or 'mardy' disposition - I see that as wanting to instill the same levels of awareness and unselfishness that he has.

I would argue that he is one of the sharpest thinking players outside of the PL - his vision to see play develop and to pick and complete that pass quickly is exemplorary.

His accuracy of shooting and finishing either in open play or, as someone mentioned earlier, from free kicks is arguably better than has been demonstrated this season....penalties - not so much :-)

I recall many occassions when people have said Chris Martin wasn't in the game or had a quiet game...that really should be seen as weakness of his team mates being ineffective...it is a supply issue...after all, you can't fire a gun without ammunition

As a player I would have loved to have had a CM  type player...we need more players with his qualities....we don't need to sell him we need to play him...!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, HectorsHouse said:

I have watched and chuckled at this debate from the sidelines for over a year now.

Agreed, opinions are divided...and just like an @rsehole - we all have one

What I don't actually undesrtand is the scathing comments and castegation from some fans surrounding Chris Martin.

For my two penneth I think he is more of a complete player than anyone else in the squad.

Some harp about his supposed negativity or 'mardy' disposition - I see that as wanting to instill the same levels of awareness and unselfishness that he has.

I would argue that he is one of the sharpest thinking players outside of the PL - his vision to see play develop and to pick and complete that pass quickly is exemplorary.

His accuracy of shooting and finishing either in open play or, as someone mentioned earlier, from free kicks is arguably better than has been demonstrated this season....penalties - not so much :-)

I recall many occassions when people have said Chris Martin wasn't in the game or had a quiet game...that really should be seen as weakness of his team mates being ineffective...it is a supply issue...after all, you can't fire a gun without ammunition

As a player I would have loved to have had a CM  type player...we need more players with his qualities....we don't need to sell him we need to play him...!!

Take it you like him a bit then Hector wonder how we ever won a match last season without him 

To be honest I think he’s the ideal striker to start games when teams come to “park the bus”. Nugent isn’t anywhere near as effective when there’s no space to run into. Martin offers a platform to build off, we can try and play in between the lines.

Away from home I would play Nugent every time, we get far less of the ball, teams open more and that’s where Nuge comes into his own. 

People coming to the conclusion that he weakens our team due to wages they’ve made up in their head is simply laughable.

11 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Quite,here's a reminder for the dumbkoffs amongst us of why we still need Chris Martin...

Watch and inwardly digest.

Tis a thing of beauty, skill, strength, bravery, awareness and control. What is not to admire.

On his day he's one of the best attacking players we've had in years, but when he's having a bad game he can be one of the most frustrating. 

If Rowett is to have any success out of him we need to establish the games he goes missing in. If he can do that it's a sign of a truly great manager 

I've been Chris Martins biggest fan since he arrive, he's clearly a very clever striker, with an unbelievable touch and finish.

Is he right for this team - NO!

I've probably seen this Martin put 120% in to a game about 10 times in a Derby shirt..

Id probably play him at home but in away games we need a striker that's willing to work and put a shift in for the team. in most of our away games we haven't had a lot of the ball and have been hard working and hard to break down. 

Rowett likes to press and defend from the front which is why Martin isn't getting much game time. in possession he's probably in the top 3 strikers in the league, out of possession I think he's probably the worst in the league.

Imagine being 1-0 down away from home in the 70th minute with the other team having lots of possession and Martin is lounging around doing sweet **** ALL, or would we rather have someone buzzing around the back 4 working their nads off trying to get the ball back and having pace to punish on the counter?

My opinion anyway..

The most complete player in the squad. Simple as that. 

We have players like Vydra, Nugent, Weimann, Russell, Lawrence and the emerging Thomas to buzz around behind him - we know how he can play with willing runners.

It's difficult because Nugent and Vydra have formed a great partnership, but I'd like to stick with Martin and Vydra for a while. Allow a partnership to form between them.

42 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I've been Chris Martins biggest fan since he arrive, he's clearly a very clever striker, with an unbelievable touch and finish.

Is he right for this team - NO!

I've probably seen this Martin put 120% in to a game about 10 times in a Derby shirt..

Id probably play him at home but in away games we need a striker that's willing to work and put a shift in for the team. in most of our away games we haven't had a lot of the ball and have been hard working and hard to break down. 

Rowett likes to press and defend from the front which is why Martin isn't getting much game time. in possession he's probably in the top 3 strikers in the league, out of possession I think he's probably the worst in the league.

Imagine being 1-0 down away from home in the 70th minute with the other team having lots of possession and Martin is lounging around doing sweet **** ALL, or would we rather have someone buzzing around the back 4 working their nads off trying to get the ball back and having pace to punish on the counter?

My opinion anyway..

Could not agree more only fool would deny his talent but can't see him ever being a Rowett player consistently  You have described him to a tee away from home As someone who travels away all the time he's is very frustrating with his reluctance to share the load That's why the Scotland fans don't take to him Yes he's a great striker but you need to set your team up to suit him not sure Rowett is prepared. to do that 

10 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

it's not as simple as that if he's not scoring goals and we don't play a style with willing runners!

The things he lacks - pace and energy and willing to run, is what we need in our style of play

I agree with this, especially away from home and I'm a big CM fan. As seen with our away games he's pretty ineffective but that's more down to how we're set up and how we look to progress in the final third. 

The games he's played, especially away from home, he's watching balls ping over his head for the most part. No cohesion, no ball into feet, no build up. Just direct and feed off the scraps. It's working for us, with willing runners like Nuge and recently Weimann cashing in on this type of play. 

I don't see the point in playing him in those types of games, bemused by Rowett to actually do so and still not tinker with our approach. 

At home he will have some value, especially when teams sit in. Nugent is pretty much ineffective as seen against Ipswich, no space at all. We need another option as it's all very predictable, Burton nearly pulled it off too. 

I don't mind keeping him as he will have his uses but if we can get a decent fee from Wolves, especially with it being in January, I see no reason why we should keep him. He just doesn't fit. I genuinely want him to do well and he's not going to be used correctly here. I reckon the performances will improve with time but will we be playing decent attacking football with a clear plan to be utilising our striker coming short and unbalancing the opposition by moving the ball between the lines? No chance IMO but we shall see. 

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I agree with this, especially away from home and I'm a big CM fan. As seen with our away games he's pretty ineffective but that's more down to how we're set up and how we look to progress in the final third. 

The games he's played, especially away from home, he's watching balls ping over his head for the most part. No cohesion, no ball into feet, no build up. Just direct and feed off the scraps. It's working for us, with willing runners like Nuge and recently Weimann cashing in on this type of play. 

I don't see the point in playing him in those types of games, bemused by Rowett to actually do so and still not tinker with our approach. 

At home he will have some value, especially when teams sit in. Nugent is pretty much ineffective as seen against Ipswich, no space at all. We need another option as it's all very predictable, Burton nearly pulled it off too. 

I don't mind keeping him as he will have his uses but if we can get a decent fee from Wolves, especially with it being in January, I see no reason why we should keep him. He just doesn't fit. I genuinely want him to do well and he's not going to be used correctly here. I reckon the performances will improve with time but will we be playing decent attacking football with a clear plan to be utilising our striker coming short and unbalancing the opposition by moving the ball between the lines? No chance IMO but we shall see. 

Spot on, glad we agree Tibbsy.

It's far too simplistic to state that Martin should only play at home, or only play away.

It is only a few weeks ago, after he had come on at half time at Cardiff and we looked far the better team second half, and when he had played second half at Norwich and we won, and he played full 90 at Leeds and we won that people were saying he should only play away.

Now, because we've faced a couple of teams here at Pride Park who have given us little space, and we've looked better with Martin in the side, we've decided he only needs to play at home. Incidentally, when we lost 2-4 to Reading at home, the two goals were scored with Martin in the pitch.

I sort of think we need Martin whenever we need to get hold of the ball and play some football - home or away!

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's far too simplistic to state that Martin should only play at home, or only play away.

It is only a few weeks ago, after he had come on at half time at Cardiff and we looked far the better team second half, and when he had played second half at Norwich and we won, and he played full 90 at Leeds and we won that people were saying he should only play away.

Now, because we've faced a couple of teams here at Pride Park who have given us little space, and we've looked better with Martin in the side, we've decided he only needs to play at home. Incidentally, when we lost 2-4 to Reading at home, the two goals were scored with Martin in the pitch.

I sort of think we need Martin whenever we need to get hold of the ball and play some football - home or away!

As usual, you speak far too much sense for this forum.

Has there actually been any evidence of Rowett’s all action pressing style or is it just words? It’s all just been Nugent chasing lost causes. 

Reading are one of the most pressable teams in the division and we just stood off them, barring Nugent and Winnall.

Martin can’t NOT fit into the Rowett high-press because it doesn’t exist

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

Were you at the Leeds game? He didn't do anything for 90 minutes, I'd like to see where the posts are about Martin only playing away, I don't think that's even true.

When have we looked better with Martin in the side? We have looked far better with Vydra and Nugent combining together.

Yep I agree if we are looking to play football and keep possession, Martin should play, i do think though that this will more than likely be at home when teams sit in and defend.

On 12/6/2017 at 02:21, Steve How Hard? said:

Whilst I don't disagree that he doesn't suit the way Rowett generally sets up as a team, what he does give us is option to adapt that style. For example, the last two home games where both opponents have parked the proverbial bus. It's all well and good saying sell him and sign a top class striker but of all the people advocating this, I've yet to see any of them come up with the actual name of this so called 'top class striker.'

Abso-feckin' lutely. Just sell 'im because there are absolutely umpteen dozen proven Champ strikers available everywhere, and amazingly, they're dirt cheap. In fact, I'm absolutely sick and tired to death of people approaching me in the street, holding out a copy of a photo of a top striker saying "wanna buy me last top striker. Normally 250 but your's for 150. Go on mate. It's me last one".  

"I'mmm sss-orry mate, I've already got mine" I say before walking away with me hands firmly in me sheep-skin pockets, as if I'm actually a Championship team manager. :mellow:

Archived